Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 8, 2005, 3:20 PM   #1

My uncle just bought an EX-Z750 and I want to get him a high speed 1GB SD card as a gift. I can get a 60x for $45 or an 80x for $65. Does anyone know if the camera will benefit from the extra speed of the 80x, or will the speed of the camera's internal circuitry limit the performance?

If the shot-to-shot time will not be any faster with the 80x card, then I couldjust save the $20 and get the 60x card.

Thanks for anyinput you have!

-Jeff
JLee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:51 PM   #2

imo, the 60x speed is fast enough

i also have a question about high speed cards...i heard that in the 640x480 fine mode, you can get dropped frames w/a regular card. Is it really bad enough to affect videos? is there anything on this camera you can only do with a high speed card

PS. J Lee, where did you find a 60x high speed card for $45?

afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:53 PM   #3

Hi, I bought a 1GB Corsair 40X - It is absolutely fine with no delays or lag.
ufitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 4:56 PM   #4

Just to clarify - a lot of my use is 640 X 480 fine mode, some videos being up to 10 mins long with no problems, delay or lag.
ufitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:10 PM   #5

afro_ninj4:NewEgg has a Patriot 60x 1GB SD card for $61.95 plus a $15 mail-in rebate (so technically not $45 but $46.95)

ufitsy: With the 40x card, are your shot-to-shot times the same as the 1.2 sec/shot that the reviewers are reporting when using 60x or faster cards? I'm just wondering at what speed the SD card becomes the bottleneck.
JLee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 8:53 PM   #6

I read somewhere that you do not need the high speed card for the MPEG4 that Casio uses. Wish I could dig up that review again. Been contemplating getting a 1 or 2 gig card.

Wow, an EX-Z750 for $368 at Newegg...

http://newegg.com/
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 9:21 AM   #7

my SD card doesnt have speed on it?

how fast is it and does it really make a difference?

andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 9:46 AM   #8

andyr wrote:
Quote:
my SD card doesnt have speed on it?

how fast is it and does it really make a difference?
1. Get a fast (usb 2.0 or firewire) card reader.
2. A spacious hard drive
3. Format the SD card
4. Close all other apps as possible, esp anti-virus apps.
5. Copy a very large e.g. > 100MB file by e.g. zipping a large folder, from/to the SD.
6. Measure the time t taken (which is the sum of SD, cardreader & HD read/write time)
7. Assuming HD & cardreader times are negligible
8. SD speed = 100MB / t

(Only accurate for the 1st time copy. Subsequent copies may have been cached).

Anybody has better measuring procedure?

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:19 AM   #9

buddy1065 wrote:
Quote:
I read somewhere that you do not need the high speed card for the MPEG4 that Casio uses. Wish I could dig up that review again. Been contemplating getting a 1 or 2 gig card.
its the review at dcresource you are talking about, i believe. It mentions you dont need a high speed card. However, I heard on some other reviews that if you use a regular card you will get dropped frames in the 640x480 Fine movie mode...

So here are my questions

1. does using a regular speed card make the Movie mode any worse? (i.e slow, choppy)....on any resolution and speed

2.are there any features that u can only acsess with a high speed sd card and not with a regular card?

3. does using a regular speed card make things like, continous shooting, power time, or shot to shot time any slower?
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:14 PM   #10

afro_ninj4 wrote:
Quote:
buddy1065 wrote:its the review at dcresource you are talking about, i believe. It mentions you dont need a high speed card. However, I heard on some other reviews that if you use a regular card you will get dropped frames in the 640x480 Fine movie mode...

So here are my questions

1. does using a regular speed card make the Movie mode any worse? (i.e slow, choppy)....on any resolution and speed

2.are there any features that u can only acsess with a high speed sd card and not with a regular card?

3. does using a regular speed card make things like, continous shooting, power time, or shot to shot time any slower?
To be honest I don't have an S500, but a Kodak v550. But I believe SD speed effect on every DC is the same esp when they are both taking 640x480 mpeg-4 movies. So to answer ur q in general:

1. v550, using Sandisk "normal speed" 256MB bought 2 yrs ago, does NOT drop frames. It simply STOPS at 30sec, and REFUSES to continue, COMPLAINING THE CARD IS TOO SLOW. Also I believe the spec of mpeg-4 will regulate the bit-rate and does NOT allow the implementor (Casio/Kodak) to drop frames.

2. no idea

3. On v550, sandisk normal 256 vs ultra II 1G, shot-shot improves from 2sec to 1sec. Not yet tested "continuous" (burst-mode in kodak's terms). But I think won't be affected. This mode uses the internal hi-speed cache rather than the SD, and then copies the whole sequence of pics to the SD i.e. you simply wait longer after a burst.

But I heard from my friends having both Kingston ElitePro & Sandisk Ultra II. And they found Kingston performs better on Casio.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote