Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:29 PM   #1

Does anyone out there have the casio S500 yet? I'm deciding between the S500 and the Z750, and if the S500 has the same video quality and digital zoom as in the Z750, I'd choose the smallerS500. I don't care too much about manual features.
neutral1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:19 PM   #2

They both have MPEG4 640 X 480 at 30fps. The S500 also has the past movie mode. Looks to be the same to me.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:12 AM   #3

Yes, I know they both have the same format for video recording, but the lens and sensors are different, aren't they? 7mp vs 5mp. I thought there might be a difference also in video mode. I know you can digital zoom while recording in the Z750, but can you also do that with the S500?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:04 AM   #4

Yes. S500 can digital zoom while recording movies.

It can also snap PHOTO while recording movies.

charles_tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:45 AM   #5

I tested S500 in a shop. Yes, it could zoom digitally during movie, but not optically.

But I am wondering if the S500 still has the "rainbow ripple" problem of Z750 when shooting video of "dense stripes" (of high contrast colors e.g. black/while), as in the windmill body of Casio Z750 sample movie:

http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_...y/CIMG4118.AVI

Notice the wall of the "balcony" floor of the windmill, produces ripples of rainbows (also in the roof of the house behind the 2 girls b4 they walked to the windmill)

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:13 PM   #6

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
I tested S500 in a shop. Yes, it could zoom digitally during movie, but not optically.

But I am wondering if the S500 still has the "rainbow ripple" problem of Z750 when shooting video of "dense stripes" (of high contrast colors e.g. black/while), as in the windmill body of Casio Z750 sample movie:

http://world.casio.com/exilim/en/ex_...y/CIMG4118.AVI

Notice the wall of the "balcony" floor of the windmill, produces ripples of rainbows (also in the roof of the house behind the 2 girls b4 they walked to the windmill)

You're right! I never noticed it before but there seems to be some sort of ripple/movement of colors on the roof of the house and in the mid section of the windmill. I wonder what is causing that. I think I will buy the S500 and try it out first. If I'm disappointed in its performance, I can always return it and get the Z750. Thanks for the help guys.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:01 AM   #7

Yes, pls post the result of your testing S500, especially the video quality.

I saw another session demo Z750 video from a HK DC forum, of a man wearing a "prisoner" T-shirt of black/white stripes, approaching the camera. The effect is like he was a superman radiating color ripples from his chest. Much worse than the windmill because he was so close to the camera.

So pls try if you can take a video of somebody in "prisoner" t-shirt. FYI my Kodak V550, also mpeg-4, doesn't seem to have the problem.

Just for my curiousity - for those DC that currently CANNOT optical zoom during video, will such deficiency be fixed by firmware (if the vendors are willing to rewrite them)??? I see no point the vendors should prohibit consumers from using optical zoom. Motor noise is NOT an excuse to me. I may well accept the noise, or simply do NOT use zoom if I feel unacceptable, but the vendors should always provide such trivial feature as an option.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:49 AM   #8

I got the s500 last week and am amazed by the quality. from steves downloadable example from the z750 i think the s500 is far superior, even in normal mode.i havnt used it too much but the frame rate is brilliant as is the automatic contrast control. i have used it briefly coming from outside and going into my house and the light adjusted well. it also worked very well when i was in a room lit artificially. i am still getting to grips with the camera functions but the video is very easy to use. one problem i have had is with the in-camera video editing which didnt seem to work when i tried to use it. im sure i read you can take in-cam screan caps but i cant find the function. saying that i havnt had the cam a week yet so i have alot to learn
gateshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:44 AM   #9

I also notice no camera whine on the Casio S500 demo. Have you experienced any whine? By the way, the firmware update for the EX-Z750 seems to clear up the whine on my Z750:

http://world.casio.com/qv/download/en/ex_z750_firmup/

Wonder ifnew S500 ownerscould post a movie when you get a chance? On the Casio site the demo clips of the Z750 and the S500 looked very comparable. Frankly I thought the Z750 video looked a little better.
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:40 AM   #10

pls sum1 post a movie clip from s500 !!!

has anyone compared the movie quality of s500 with that of kodak v550?? sum1 said kadak's movie recorded some bad audio compared to d casio,is it true??
is s500 prone to lens error like z750??

when is d review of this camera coming??:!:
ankitalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote