Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:16 AM   #1

After doing a lot of research this past few months I decided on the Casio EX-Z750 and when the right price came along a couple of weeks ago, I made the purchase. There is not much I can add to the reviews that have already been made. My main problems have been related to software and documentation. I have found that using the Photohands program it takes 12 minutes to print a4 by 6 print to my EpsonStylus PhotoR300 from a 4 mb image. I understand that most of this time is involved in computer processing. Other software does not have this lag and the printer starts up more-or-less immediately. Also, of course, it isnearly instantaneousto print direct from the camera or memory card. So,it would appearobvious to me, that the Photohands program is garbage, although it isveryimpressive the way the connected program, Photoloader, automaticallyloads and organizes the images and videos when you connect the camera.

I hate HTML documents that give me tendonitis with the mouse going from sone short page to the other. The 250-page camera user guide definitely requires a hard copy. I am not racist, but printed manuals with multitudinous language translations,but only a few pages in English, really bug me. What a waste of paper.

Ido not have a program that can edit the photos without compressing them greatly, like to one quarter the original file size. I have found this to be the case with Photohands. Am I doing something wrong? The supplied ULead Move Wizard also degrades the video quality when the images are saved.

Regarding ergonomics, this is an extremerly tiny camera, tinier than is needed even for the smallestshirtpocket. I do frequently hit one of the arrow buttonsprior to taking a picture, which causes changes in focus mode, etc. to pop up on the screen.

The short movie mode is convenient formaking e-mail video clips. It would be even better if the maximum timecould be increasedsomewhatabove 8 seconds when preferred.

It isgreat to have sound in your videos, butthemicrophonesensitivity is not much good inoutdoor settingsor in large buildings with the subjectmore than a few feet away.A wireless clip-onmike would have been a nice accessory.

The large display is great in the shade for viewingslideshows orvideos, but I can't imagine how any video display would be usablewiththe sun shining on it. The optical viewfinder gives a very tiny image.

Did I read somewhere that the zoom cannot be used when recording movies? I have not had any problem using zoom with video, alhthough digital zoon needs to be avoided.

The click of the shutter button on and off is loud and annoying though and must be edited out of each clip.

I don't understand why there are only two aperture settings shown (2.8 and 4)

Overall, I don't wantthis review to sound negative because I lovethis littlecamera.I just wanted tosupply some additional on-hands information. It doesn't take the place of an SLR, of course, but it has a beautiful display, awesome video, and is half or less ofthe price of a digital Rebel. This a great little camera for the $479 (Can) I paid for it.Although it is tiny,one feels quality and precision whenone holds it and uses it. Overall, I think it's a little gem! I hope it will alsoprove durable and long-lasting.
ArchP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2005, 9:05 PM   #2

Quote:
I have found that using the Photohands program it takes 12 minutes to print a 4 by 6 print to my Epson Stylus Photo R300 from a 4 mb image. I understand that most of this time is involved in computer processing.
All image processing programs have to decompress a JPG to full size before it can be worked with. So you are actually printing a 20.6Mb image. Even the JPGs you save that are much smaller than your 4Mb images because of compression will still decompress to 20.6Mb.

The print spooling for an inkjet is complex. If it can't make an exact color with the ink available it modifies the adjacent dots to give the impression of the color. Of course those dots are now off and adjacent dots have to be modified. A 20Mb image is going to take a while to spool.

Some programs limit the PPI it will send to the printer. Photoshop through version 5 wouldn't send more than 300 PPI. Even with a reduction I find it hard to believe other programs will start printing almost immediately after being fed a 7Mp image.

You don't need 7Mp to print a 4 X 6. Reducing the image to 1200 X 900 will give you a 200PPI print which is quite good. And your spooling time will be much more reasonable as you will have reduced the image from 20.6Mb to 3Mb. "Save as" rather than save and rename the images or you will lose the originals for later use. Irfanview is excellent for that as it will bulk process the images you want to print and send them to a different folder.

Quote:
I do not have a program that can edit the photos without compressing them greatly, like to one quarter the original file size. I have found this to be the case with Photohands. Am I doing something wrong? The supplied ULead Move Wizard also degrades the video quality when the images are saved.
There are different save qualities for JPG. If you save at the highest quality 12 from Photoshop you get a 5Mb JPG from a 7Mp image. At 100% from Irfanview you get a 4.6Mb JPG. You can save at lower qualities from either and get well under 1Mb. If the program you are using doesn't give you a save quality choice I suggest you use something else. Or save in a different format like TIFF.

This is the save box from Irfanview. The slider at the top determines the quality of the JPG and therefore the size. You can do a lot in Irfanview and it is free.

Quote:
Regarding ergonomics, this is an extremerly tiny camera, tinier than is needed even for the smallest shirt pocket. I do frequently hit one of the arrow buttons prior to taking a picture, which causes changes in focus mode, etc. to pop up on the screen.
I've had mine for a month now and have yet to hit one of the arrow buttons by accident. I'm 6' tall and have fairly large hands. My thumb rests on the mode dial and nothing touches the arrow keys.

I would be happy if they could have made it even tinier if they could have kept the large LCD and viewfinder.

Quote:
The short movie mode is convenient for making e-mail video clips. It would be even better if the maximum time could be increased somewhat above 8 seconds when preferred.
Why not just use the past movie mode and record for 9 or 11 seconds or whatever you want?

Quote:
The large display is great in the shade for viewing slideshows or videos, but I can't imagine how any video display would be usable with the sun shining on it. The optical viewfinder gives a very tiny image.
I haven't seen a display yet that is good in the sun other than the transreflective ones that seem to have gone by the wayside for digital cameras.

My only complaint with the optical finder is that it doesn't have a spot metering target. Otherwise it works fine for me.

Quote:
Did I read somewhere that the zoom cannot be used when recording movies? I have not had any problem using zoom with video, alhthough digital zoon needs to be avoided.
I have the latest firmware installed and can't use optical zoom with movies. There has been some discussion at dpreview that there is a revised model coming out that you can use optical zoom with, but nobody except you seem to have one.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:19 PM   #3

I think I press the up button when intending to press the down.

The movie zoom thatI have been getting was only digital which causes noticeable loss of resolution when zoomed in. Sorry for those I misled on this.
ArchP is offline   Reply With Quote