Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 25, 2005, 3:14 AM   #31

really?

please check the casio USA tech support faq for Z750. Oh, you cannot find the link?

please use this : http://faq.casio.com/faq/exilim/faq_...ry%20Card#3609

let me quote :

Q3. What types of memory cards are supported? A3. SD memory cards and multimedia cards only can be used to expand camera memory.This model does not support use of CF cards, the IBM Microdrive, or smart media.
Certain types of cards can slow down processing speeds. If you are using a slow memory card, you may not be able to record a movie using the "HQ" image quality setting. Because of this, you should use a high-speed type SD memory card whenever possible.

so... what is the OFFICIAL OPPINION OF CASIO about it?
combat2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:05 AM   #32

Like I said, call tech support.
CasioTechSupport4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:18 AM   #33

And what is the OFFICIAL OPPINION of CASIO???

Me, as a customer, when I'm buying a camera, I'm not checking the tech support (since i have no camera), but i'll check the website of the producer, eventually the faq. Since CASIO put misleading informations for future customers, I'm starting to wonder about that. And of course, about tech support too. Including you. No offence.
combat2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:37 AM   #34

combat2k wrote:
Quote:
And what is the OFFICIAL OPPINION of CASIO???

Me, as a customer, when I'm buying a camera, I'm not checking the tech support (since i have no camera), but i'll check the website of the producer, eventually the faq. Since CASIO put misleading informations for future customers, I'm starting to wonder about that. And of course, about tech support too. Including you. No offence.
Please CasioTechSupport4 a break, or he will not give any advice anymore. Moreover you can call Casio since you mentioned you own a Z750. If you need an official answer, do it the official way. Here is a public forum so nothing is official.

I do appreciate CasioTechSupport4's advice and help. If you want to blame, you should only blame Casio, who manufacture a product that someone is not happy about. I think if CasioTechSupport is a real Casio guy, he must be very fustrated to deal with all these technical problem in his daily work. Moreover, he might be taking risk of being fired by disclosing inside confidential information here.
ahdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 4:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Seriously man...you seem to have a problem with me giving this help...from everything I have posted almost you've got some contridiction on your hands. Well it's really quiet annoying. This may make me sound like a dick, but oh well. I'm the technical support guy here. I'm the one that works with the cameras, NOT YOU.
First of all this is a discussion forum. I get corrected on occasion as do most other people who have been here a while. We have no authorities here. Your posts are judged on their merit.

Review this thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=14 larrytr was asking about the poor skin tones with his Z750. You replied:
"Well unfortunately the Casio Cameras only have a DPI of 72. So I'm not surprized to hear that at all. There isn't any way to change the DPI nor has Casio released anything that would allow you to do so. I would probably suggest if you're not happy with the camera to try either a higher end Kodak or Olympus."
That statement demonstrates a total ignorance of digital camera technology. The default PPI the camera adds to the JPG file is totally irrelevant to any display quality issues. I doubt you took the time to read the link that Specter provided. Pretend you aren't the great authority on cameras that nobody can question (I know you are, but just pretend) and ask on any competent digital imaging board what quality considerations are involved with the 72 PPI your camera defaults to.

It is a bit amazing to me that someone who claims to be a tech support rep for Casio would not know what it means that the camera defaults to 72 PPI, would not know the difference between PPI and DPI and would recommend that a Z750 owner should buy another brand – presumably because those brands default to a higher PPI.

Quote:
And if you're able to take pictures...you don't have a "lens error". I'll say it one more time...so that you can understand it.
You don't seem to be bothering to read the posts. People are usually able to clear the lens error, but are having problems afterward. It seems a common one is that the camera won't focus until it is zoomed out some. Another is soft corners and edges. Others have spurious focus problems after a lens error.

Quote:
High Speed cards are NOT compatible with the Casio cameras. They try to adjust a write speed on the camera that isn't adjustable. In some cases the High Speed cards produce a "Lens Error"...removal of the high speed card corrects that. A lens error is only one of possibly many problems that could be produced by a High Speed card. Its just also one of the ways I've found to correct the "Lens Error"

Do this. Go and get on mommy and daddy's computer. Enter into the BIOS and increase the processor speed. Then save changes and start the computer up. Make sure you have a Casio on hand to take a picture of that burning processor...because that could be the result of your Casio with a high speed memory card.
I think that is a poor analogy. A better one would be a drain pipe that can take 10 gph. It isn't always trying topull 10 gallons an hour, but will take what you put in it up to that amount.

You can put a high speed card in an old USB1 card reader. It doesn't try to force the data in faster than the reader or bus can handle it. And when writing from the computer to the card it doesn't try tograb information faster than it can be acquired. Memory cards send and receive data at whatever rate is requested up to the speed capacity of the card.

My computer is overclocked BYW. But I have good cooling and temp monitor alarms set to well below anything that could damage the processor. With your shoot from the hip approach to things I have no doubt you would probably end up with the result you described.

Quote:
So before you go and spout off your mouth, call tech support some day...and you'll find that you'll get the same answers.
I took your advice and called them earlier today. The nice lady I talked to was quite helpful.

She said that Casio doesn't sell high speed cards and it is official policy that they can cause problems. She said that she had been in tech support for quite a while and NEVER encountered a problem that turned out to be caused by a high speed card.

I asked her how she would diagnose a problem she suspected was caused by a high speed card. Her first step would be as I described above – remove the card and see if the problem continued using the internal memory. If the camera still had problems she would have the person also remove the battery for 24 hours to reset the camera. If the camera worked fine with the internal memory after it reset but developed the problem again when the card was inserted it would indicate a memory card problem.

That diagnostic approach is a long shot from your spring loaded response that people's lens errors are probably caused by high speed cards. Her more measured approach is probably why she isn't finding problems caused by high speed memory cards and you are. If your only tool is a hammer everything starts to look like a nail.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:46 PM   #36

On numerous calls reguarding the lens error, I've encountered those with High Speed memory cards have recieved the error, removed the card, and never had any further problems. I never explained that everytime someone uses a High Speed card a lens error would occur. Just look at my previous posts. I've seen the High Speed cards work and I've seen them screw the cameras up. I suggest not using them. Plain and simple.

I may "shoot from the hip" and that's my style. I do thank those who have backed me up or appreciate the help I've gave thus far. For those who don't...oh well.

Thanks again to those who appreciate! Its those people that make me love this job. And especially Steve, for giving this site to the public and making it a top reference center for camera information
CasioTechSupport4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 8:31 PM   #37

Weekend is coming and more time for me to test my new Z750. Since so many people worried on the High-Speed card, I'll trywith my SanDisk Ultra II (60x)these few days and see what happen. However notice that High Speed card range from 32x to 133x or more, so I guess a 32x and 133x might have different effect on the camera. However, I'm not sure what is the speed of a "standard" card, as many brand don't mention it. I found the spec of SanDisk standard card to be 20x, not sure if it is possible that other brand has a much slower speed as their standard card. Anway, let you know what I got later. Thanks.
ahdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:53 AM   #38

You won't have problems with your Ultra II. It is probably the most popular card for the camera. Carry the camera with the mode dial in audio record and it won't extend in your pocket or pouch. Be careful to not have anything blocking the lens when you turn it on in another mode. If you don't block the lens extension you won't likely develop a lens error.

A "standard" card should be labeled 15X, but some rate them at 20X. The standard for one X was evidently established back in the infancy of EEPROM. The first memory cards (probably CF) were 150k. It has become accepted that one X is 150k in read speed. Since read speed is usually a bit higher than write speed they rate the card at the read speed. A standard 2MB/sec card should be just over 13X, but using the read speed they can rate them a little higher.

The Ultra II is a 66X card rated at the read speed. I've seen it listed as such.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:56 AM   #39

I wanted to thank casiotechsupport4 for his help--both times I emailed him I got a fast response. I probably wouldn't have chosena casio camera if I didn't have him as a contact. Ultimately, Ichose the ex-s500 and so far it's amazing.
bradcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:55 AM   #40

EX-Z750

About "lens error"

Serial number: 1025878A
Made in China.
Bought about 45 days ago.
The first 600-700 images was ok, but without no reason the camera suddenly started to produse long series of unsharp photoes, and again without any reason all is ok for a while.
-- It seems as if the camera closes the lens when I am looking at stored photoes, and I tries to activate it to take more photoes (without shutting down first) the "lens error" appears.

Regards

Ron
ronainge is offline   Reply With Quote