Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:23 PM   #41

I'm on top of the "lens error" like white on rice. Keep posting or emailing me reguarding them.

As for the Ultra II cards I would yet again be very cautious. Like I've said I've seen them cause errors (most notable the "Lens Error") and could cause other things to happen to the camera. Yet again as I've also said before, I've seen them work without a hitch!
CasioTechSupport4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 5:18 PM   #42

Dear¬*CasioTechSupport4. Mine is¬*Made in CHINA. 1008059A serial number. Firmware upgraded at 1.01. Sandisk¬* 1 GB.The problem that I currently have is with "lens error", as soon as I try to zoom, it starts with 40cm- infiity, imediately as I reach¬* 45cm-infinity the camera stops right there and shuts itselve with the message "lens error". I tried forcing the lenses by keeping it tight with my fingers while I zoom, and it gets fixed just while the camera is on, but if I turn it off and on again the problem persist.Your help would be much appreciated, due that I live in Chile, far away from any decent repair shop.CheersLucho
Lucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 3:55 AM   #43

Lucho wrote:
Quote:
DearCasioTechSupport4. Mine isMade in CHINA. 1008059A serial number. Firmware upgraded at 1.01. Sandisk 1 GB.The problem that I currently have is with "lens error", as soon as I try to zoom, it starts with 40cm- infiity, imediately as I reach 45cm-infinity the camera stops right there and shuts itselve with the message "lens error". I tried forcing the lenses by keeping it tight with my fingers while I zoom, and it gets fixed just while the camera is on, but if I turn it off and on again the problem persist.Your help would be much appreciated, due that I live in Chile, far away from any decent repair shop.CheersLucho
Can CasioTechSupport4 make some comment on people who try to solve a camera error (lens error, focus problem, system error, etc) by doing anything physical to the lens (e.g. pushing the lens, turning the lens ring, etc)? Personally, I've been using cameras for 20 years, and I'll never play with lens myself. I think there are more than 50% chance one will damage the camera by doing this. For me, I'll recommend to send back to Casio for checking or repair. If Casio break the camera while they repair, they'll give you a new one. If you break the camera yourself, you can only blame yourself.
ahdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:01 AM   #44

I wouldn't suggest ever forcing the lensto do anything that its not meant to do. If you've had the camera for less than a year and by good judgement you know something is wrong with the lens, contact repair. Now if its outside the year warranty (which none of the Z750's should be out of warranty) or you don't care about the warranty by all means do as you please with the lens.
CasioTechSupport4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 12:10 AM   #45

No offence CASIOTECHSUPPORT4 but alot of what you are saying is crap.

Firstly high speed cards CANNOT alter the way a device writes or reads to/from it. All it will do is accept data from the device quicker, allowing the device (if it wants to) to send data to the card quicker.

Next, if you actually worked for CASIO or were in a position to be offering advice in on the EX-Z750 then you SHOULD be informed of what will cause a lens error.

Serial number/batch does not make any difference. The problem is being caused by the camera being accidentally switched on inside its case or in an environment where the lens is unable to extend to maximum freely. Of course impact and physical damage will cause a lens error too.

GO INTO MENU - SET UP - REC/PLAY and DISABLE the feature that will cause the camera to turn on when the green PLAY or red REC buttons are pressed.

When your camera is stored in the case it is very easy for these buttons to be knocked or even activated by the pressure of the case. The lens may extend but not have room to do so. The gears inside the lens may slip and the position sensor becomes out of alignment. When the camera is switched on the lens goes straight back in with "LENS ERROR" on the screen or it will happen when full zoom is reached.

Please note the lens itself is not made by CASIO. Modification of the gears to reduce the possibility of slipping is currently happening however no lens is what you would call "STRONG" and all need to be handled with care. The EX-Z750 lens starts up very quickly and although this is a very good point, it leads to another reason to be carefull when handling the camera.

Performing the above steps and handling your camera correctly should see you having no problems with the EX-Z750. I own one myself and have not had any problems. It is an excellent camera.

CASIO Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:02 AM   #46

CASIO Service wrote:
Quote:
When your camera is stored in the case it is very easy for these buttons to be knocked or even activated by the pressure of the case. The lens may extend but not have room to do so. The gears inside the lens may slip and the position sensor becomes out of alignment. When the camera is switched on the lens goes straight back in with "LENS ERROR" on the screen or it will happen when full zoom is reached.

Please note the lens itself is not made by CASIO. Modification of the gears to reduce the possibility of slipping is currently happening however no lens is what you would call "STRONG" and all need to be handled with care. The EX-Z750 lens starts up very quickly and although this is a very good point, it leads to another reason to be carefull when handling the camera.
Thank you very much for your reply, CASIO Service.

Two blocks of questions:

1. In the case that the lens gear DOES in fact slip, what steps (short of sending the camera to CASIO for a full-blown repair) should users take to repair their camera? I have heard, for example, that twisting and pulling the lens helps re-align the gears.

2. How far along has development for a modified lens gear come? Approximately when will it be completed? Will the modification be made available to current Z750 owners?

Thanks again!
dmitricam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:34 AM   #47

Finally, someone who makes sense about this problem. That is exactly how my focus problem arose in the first place, the lens tried to open inside the case. I was able to fix the problem by manuallypreventing the lens from opening again. Somehow this realigned the lens. This is dangerous I guess because I could ruin the gears, but until I did it the camerawouldn't focus properly. After doing this "realignment" procedure the cameraworked fine again. I disabled the green and red buttons from turning on and off the camera and it has been a dream ever since, focusing almost immediately every timeI take a picture. I too wouldlike to hear the answers to the two questions posed by "dmitricam" because undoubtedly I will jam the lens from opeing again and I don't want to break the camera. Plus, without enabling the green and red buttons, it is a hassle to switch from the play to the record mode.
pkrobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:18 PM   #48

Hi guys. Thanks for the questions.

Unfortunalty CASIO Japan has not informed of when any modified lens' will be available. Or whether they will be at all. I'm sure eventually the CASIO service network will be informed of what R&D have come up with, when I do know I will post in here.

If your camera gives "LENS ERROR" when either switched on or when zoomed to full, take it into a CASIO service agent and get the lens exchanged (under warranty). Although you may be without your camera for a few days, you will have a new undamaged lens. If you simply twist the old lens back into place, there is a chance that even though you are carefully handling your camera and taking all steps to avoid it failing, the lens may fail at a later date. Get the new lens and then disable the PLAY/REC power on function.

Also if you twist the lens and it starts working again, you may notice that when the lens approaches full zoom, there is a "JUMP" in the lens' operation which is not smooth like the rest of the lens' movement. This could be damaged gears inside the lens. You are best NOT to twist the lens because if you return it in the working state the agent may choose not to replace the lens under warranty.
CASIO Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:00 AM   #49

How can I find a Casio service agent near me that will do warranty work?
pkrobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:44 PM   #50

pkrobins wrote:
Quote:
How can I find a Casio service agent near me that will do warranty work?
Contact Casio or the electronic store you buy it from.
ahdummy is offline   Reply With Quote