Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:13 AM   #81

Hi!

I got the lens error a couple of times after blocking the lens accidentally with my finger. Now I get it frequently after turning it on with the power button and not even touching anything else ! And the focus also won´t work anymore for distance shots (only macro mode is focusing correctly!).

This problem came out of nowhere just a week ago ... WTF???

I just updated the firmware to 1.1 with no effect at all. Multifocus doesn´t solve it either! Also without my SD card in the slot, it´s not focusing :?!!! HEEELP!!!

EDIT: the method of zooming in helps for focusing in the distance, but seriously, that´s not the way it´s meant to work!!!

Should I send it in??

Made in China
Ser:1032
zorniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:10 AM   #82

I had exactly the same problem. The lens is out of alignment. The way I fixed it was to block it from opening again and it seemed to readjust. I am now very careful about turning the camera on and it has not occurred again. The alternative is to send it to Casio for a lens replacement.
pkrobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:50 AM   #83

That means I just have to press againts the lens when powering on the camera, forcing it to readjust? And that procedure worked after just one try?

pkrobins wrote:
Quote:
I had exactly the same problem. The lens is out of alignment. The way I fixed it was to block it from opening again and it seemed to readjust. I am now very careful about turning the camera on and it has not occurred again. The alternative is to send it to Casio for a lens replacement.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:38 AM   #84

zorniki wrote:
Quote:
That means I just have to press againts the lens when powering on the camera, forcing it to readjust? And that procedure worked after just one try?

pkrobins wrote:
Quote:
This worked for me to!!!

I got mine this morning and it had Lens Error striaght away, hope thats the last time!

lezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:52 PM   #85

For me it did, but keep trying it if it doesn't work the first time. Be gentle.
pkrobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:06 AM   #86

I´ll keep trying! Hope I´ll get it done.. :roll:

Thanks!

Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:06 AM   #87

Wooohhooo!!

It worked! I didn´t hear any clicking sound or such, but after 3 or 4 times blocking the lens from even extending a single mm it magically seemed to have readjusted and all is settled and done!

Thanks for the helpful (if a little uncomfortable) hint!

I also turned off the REC/PLAY buttons now !!!! :-):blah:
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:04 AM   #88

Even worse here in Germany. I just received my Z-750 back from the 2nd repair and this time I am really angry. But slowly, what happened:

October 2001 (!) bought my QV-4000 and it was the greatest camera I ever had. I travelled five times around the world with me, it survived everything, I was the guy who told everybody to buy a Casio.

June 2005: Compared a lot and (because I did like Casio and did love the features) did decide for the Z-750. Purchased the camera, made the first shots and wondered, what the optical viewfinder does: It goes reverse to the lens! When the lens was at 35mm, the viewfinder was at 70mm. Went to 70mm with the lens, got 105 with the viewfinder. Did zoom to 105mm, got 70mm in the viewfinder. As I have glasses and do not use the viewfinder too often, I did not care a lot. This did change in the meantime.

August 2005: The lens error appeared. In wide angle images were blurred, in tele it did refuse to focus. Of course it was while I was on vacation.

September 2005: As I used to have good experiences with the Casio support, I sent the camera and the original receipt to them. After a while I got it back with the following statements:
Reason: Malfunction (what a cool reason)
Work done:
- Lens - adjusted
- Camera - cleaned (did not know it used to be dirty, was exactly the same as before)
- Camera - checked
But the camera was working again, no lens error, no viewfinder problems.

December 2005: Lens error again, exactly like before. Of course before NYE party, so no photos again. You can imagine that I started to be really angry. Sent it back to Casio again, of course telling them when it was purchased and that they already tried to repair it etc.

January 2006: Got a letter from Casio stating:
Reason: Parts defective
Work to do:
- Lens - replace
- Camera - clean
- Camera - check
Replacement parts:
- Lens unit
Total cost: EUR (!) 382,94
They also said it would be better it I would just buy a new camera. Nice, isnt it?
So I did call them and asked them what this should be. They said that they could repair it without any costs for me and that it was a mistake of the engineer. Hey sorry but you cannot fool me like this, I have written it several times when I did buy it, so it just looks like they tried to rip me off here.
I asked them if it would not be better to just send me a new camera as they recommended this. But no, they will repair it. As they like.

Now almost February I got it back from Casio with the folowing letter:
- Lens defective
- Display scratched (!!!)
- Case scratched (!!!)
Everybody who is interested may check if the Display is scratched but despite my really good eyes I cannot see only the smallest scratch on the display - but next to the lens there is a new scratch! Just next to the ring around the lens there is a scratch in the main camera body. So perhaps every incoming camera is marked as "scratched everywhere" so that the engineers can play soccer with them?

So: They tried to fool me with the repair costs, they lie to me about the status of the camera when delivered and finally they did damage it without dropping a single word about it. Hopefully you can understand that I am really angry now.

Everybody who is interested can have a scan of all documents if you like.
Schnüffelstück is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:33 AM   #89

P.S.: Made in China, 1056xxxA
Schnüffelstück is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:22 AM   #90

Hi Schnüffel!

Hört sich ja bitter an, diese Geschichte!!

I just hope things will work out for me now, as I did everything possible to keep the lens casing from getting blocked. I so far succeeded to really take care of turning my beloved Z750 on with extreme caution, not to get any finger in the way of the precious lens. After all I still enjoy this camera a lot!

Best wishes to all of you! Stay safe!

PS: Kopf hoch Schnüffel!