Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:54 PM   #1

I really like the 750. I bought one from dell.com, and it was backordered for 17 days. When I finally received it, I updated the firmware and started shooting away.

I've unfortunately noticed that the upper right and lower left corners of my shots are not in focus. I wanted to use the camera for aerial photography with my RC plane, but I hate having to crop out the "fuzzy" areas.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? At the aerial photography forum, we call this "optio blur" as a lot of the pentax optios had this problem and rumor has it the 750 has an optio lens.

Heres an example. Each of the 7 shots were taken from the same spot. I centered the distant van each time and half pressed the shutter before re-composing the shot and placing the van in the corners.

Each crop of the van represents where the van was in the original photo.

You can see a larger aperture helps, but thats a lot of blur for this $400 camera!

Any suggestions appreciated!

Attached Images

NewberryAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:55 PM   #2

Same shot with the aperture at 4.0:

Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:58 PM   #3

Heres the results from my much older Minolta F200 (4 megapixel) Not as much detail, but the focus is consistent across the edges.
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:03 PM   #4

I've never read who makes the lens on the Z750. I think Casio uses mostly Pentax and Canon lenses, and they both have a little corner softness in their ultra compact cameras.

Yours seems a little excessive and the right edge blurriness probably shouldn't be there. I'll run some tests tomorrow when I can focus on something using infinity.

Steve had to rerun his tests on one of the small Pentax cameras – I think it was the S4i. He got one with bad corner and edge softness and gave it a bad review, which he revised when Pentax sent a replacement.

Your crops aren't the same size, but if you could give the average size I will find something that you can compare to.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply slipe. Opening the original, and cropping to a similar size the info tab in PS reads 2 wide and 1.5 high.

I don't know if that is the info you need so let me know if that isn't correct.

I love the Z750's features, but I'd like to think that bettersharpness is available. I look at cameras like the P200 which seem to have better edge sharpness and wonder if my casio can perform that way.

You can see some of the Aerial photos as well as some comparison photos with the blur on my, and another users cameras in our RC forum here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e=11&pp=25

Thanks again,

Wayne

Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:44 PM   #6

These are extreme blowups – over 100% as displayed. The crops are only 170 pixels wide. I was wondering why your center shot was smaller and mine came out the same way. I usually bulk process my shots through PTLens to take out the barrel distortion but didn't do it with these. The tilt isn't from distortion BTW – I just didn't hold the camera straight getting the tiny boathouse in the corners of the screen. It was overcast so the contrast isn't great.

If I resized the center photo so it was a large as the others it wouldn't have quite as much advantage. Blowing them up even further and looking for fine detail my lower left is the softest. But I don't think mine are as soft as yours. They are at f2.8 and 1/1000 with infinity focus.

Are you planning to use the EMC- 2A cable to get video feedback for your RV application. I would be interested in your setup if you do that. I have a RV helicopter I've been considering setting up for photography. The mount has to absorb a lot more vibration though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 4:09 PM   #7

Yours sure looks better than mine in the corners. I checked with Dell about them sending me a replacement, and they tell me that its Casio's problem. Another user on our RC forum said Dell sent him a replacement so I don't know what their procedure is.

Here is a link to a thread where we are discussing the z750 for AP. A poster named Hogster has bought and hacked the cable for use on his plane:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e=10&pp=25