Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:07 AM   #1

I've been going back and forth between the Fujifilm F10 and the Casio Z750 and the main difference is performance in low light. The thing is, the Fuji has excellent in-camera noise reduction, but can I get similar results with say ... Noise Ninja applied to images taken from the Z750? If I can get clean images from the Z750, that would level the playing field, and I would buy the Casio for the ease of the menu system and manual controls. The other thing about the high ISO is the faster shutter speeds ... I've been known to blur my shots because I move too much when I press the shutter button, I'd like to avoid that and have nice sharp images. I haven't figured out how to sharpen images decently in Photoshop and I would like to avoid having to fix blurry images at all cost. Also for those that have the Z750, what have you tried that gives you the best low-light images without flash? (And why aren't my line breaks showing up?)
Over Achiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:49 PM   #2

With a noise reduction plug-in for a good image editor you can do quite well with the images. If you just want to bulk process with a stand alone noise reduction program my feeling is that you would probably do a little better with the Fuji.

There was a lengthy discussion on another board about setting the Z750 on ISO400 and boosting the EV to +2. You get ISO1600 that way, but the images are very noisy. Once you get the noise to a certain level you get image degradation if you apply a high dose of noise reduction. Noise degrades an image in itself and the noise reduction programs can't magically put it back. It might look OK printed 4 X 6 or displayed normally onscreen, but I don't think you would want to make a large print from an image taken that way.

People who bought both cameras and compared them felt the noise was better at high ISO with the Fuji. But several felt ISO800 on the Fuji was about the same as ISO400 on the Casio as far as how much you brightened the image and low light capabilities.

The Z750 also takes available light movies in lower light than the F10. Some people felt that was an indication that the F10 sensor isn't really any better in low ISO and that Fuji just had excellent in-camera noise reduction. I doubt that is really true, but the Casio does take better low light movies. And they take only a quarter the space on the card.

Flash assist works well on the Casio, but you do get an increase in the noise when you use it. I never use flash assist. Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop does the same thing and you have better control of the process.

You can't get low light photos without flash unless you crank the ISO up. "Low light" is a relative term. I find I do OK in normal room lighting if I use the optical viewfinder and hold the camera as steady as possible. I usually take a few pictures when I do that as there are moments of null movement and you have a better chance of hitting one. Too bad the camera doesn't have a better burst mode.

I have no idea why your line breaks aren't working. You might try just hitting the Enter key and making paragraphs.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:05 AM   #3

The casio images are quite noisy at iso 400 I must admit. The casio noise reduction kicks in I think on long exposures. I believe that using a program like noise ninja will give very similar results to what you will see with the fuji. I'm not convinced that there is a hardware reason the fuji is better in low light.

Here are some long exposures taken with the Z750. No noise reduction, but the iso was only at 100 if I remember correctly..

Attached Images

NewberryAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:06 AM   #4

Another 2 sec exposure:

Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:06 AM   #5

Wow, those are some gorgeous shots! I ordered the EX-Z750, but my first one after initial setup the lens extended and camera shut off with lens extended. No matter what I tried I couldn't get the camera to stay on or retract the lens. I am waiting on a replacement. I hope this isn't a major weakness in the camera.
gjmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:56 AM   #6

I had that happen to mine once. I was trying to take shots through the eyepiece of a binocular and the lens was a snug fit. When I reviewed the shots the lens tried to retract and I got a "lens error" I had to give it a little push to get it to "pop" back into place. Its worked great for over 2000 shots now. Knock on wood!

The pentax lens system on the 750 isn't the sturdiest. I wish it had a nikon lens and the same features. That would be great IMHO.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:49 PM   #7

NewberryAP wrote:
Quote:
The pentax lens system on the 750 isn't the sturdiest.
Do you have some reference to its being a Pentax lens? Pentax doesn't make a 3X lens for a 1/1.8 sensor that I can find.

They used the S series Pentax lenses on several Casio cameras but advertised them as Pentax. They also advertise the Canon lenses on some of their Pro cameras. But I haven't seen any reference to the maker of the Z750 lens.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:32 AM   #8

No hard evidence slipe. I couldn't find a pentax cam with the same specs either, but a friend on another forum contacted a repair facility about fixing the soft focus corners on his 750 and was told by the tech that the Casio had a pentax lens, which was why his was showing the same soft corners as his own Pentax camera (I think he has a S4i). I was told the same thing by a non-tech "receptionist" type person at a casio repair facility after checking on the same edge-softness issue, take it for what you will (dunno if she knew herself)

So no I can't really say for sure, I could have bad info myself.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 10:11 AM   #9

NewberryAP those pictures were taken about 5 minutes from my house!
DenverMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:08 AM   #10

NewberryAP wrote:
Quote:
I was trying to take shots through the eyepiece of a binocular and the lens was a snug fit.
Hi, very interesting,

I'm looking to buy a binocular (don't know if I want one with one or two "eyes?) but I'd like to be able to take pictures with the Z750 through it...Did this work with your binocular, and which kind/model is it?

Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote