Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:23 AM   #1

Hi!

I bought my Z750 about a month ago and have been using it only a couple of times. The other day when I was shooting I got the lens error message when I tried to start the camera. The lens would extend and then automatically retract. I then gently held my finger against the lens while it extended, and this seemed to fix the "lens error" problem. However, since then it doesnt seem to be able to focus correctly while having the zoom at start position (0% zoom). The little "focus" square in the middle doesnt turn green and stay red. If i zoom one or two steps it seems to be focusing fine though. Has anyone else experienced this and do you think I should get the camera replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

PS. Its made in China DS.
Bobax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 11:36 AM   #2

Have you installed firmware 1.01 from Casio? Some people say it improves the focus problems.

I haven't had problems with mine, but the auto-on is disabled and I put it in audio record mode when I put it in the pouch so the lens extension doesn't get blocked.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:48 AM   #3

Hi and thanks for you answer. I have tried installing the new firmware but it doesnt seem to have fixed the problem. I still dont get the focus square to become green with 0% focus. However, if I zoom to the red line (max zoom without going digital) and then zoom back to 0 it focuses fine. This is quite annoying though since I will have to do this every time I start the camera. Maybe I'll just have to have it replaced??

Would appreciate any further help from anyone. Thanks
Bobax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:56 AM   #4

Sure sounds like it needs repair...

I would contact casio 1-800-706-2534 ext 1 is their east cost repair facility. They can put you in touch with the closest place to send your camera.
NewberryAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:40 PM   #5

Bobax-

Glad to hear that I am not the only one... while on vacation last week my z750 started showing the exact same symptoms as yours... lens errors, especially when zooming 3/4 the way optical, and not focusing at 0% zoom. Just a red box. Hence, half of my vacation pictures were out of focus! :shock:

I contacted technical support by e-mail and by phone, and both times they told me to send it in for repair b/c it's still under warranty. Looks like Casio's got a problem on their hands... I really love the camera otherwise, tho, so hope they're working on the issue.

What I didn't know was whatyou explained about getting around the autofocus problem temporarily by zooming all the way in and then out again... at least the camera will last me through the end of this week then for another short trip, and then I'll probably send it in for repair next week... thanks for the tip!

Let me know how it's going with you... have you found a way to fix the problem or sent your's in for repair yet?
swenpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:48 AM   #6

Make sure you're not using a High Speed Memory Card. Despite the extreme push of using these memory cards, the Casio cameras aren't compatible with them. I've been told that the EX-P600,P700, and P505 are the only ones that can use them, but I wouldn't hold my breathe on that.

Usually I would suggest just a standard Secure Digital card in all Casio Cameras, just to avoid any problems. Though I've found cases where the cards work just fine, but I wouldn't take any chances!
CasioTechSupport4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:08 PM   #7

Many people have Sandisk Ultra II cards for their Z750 and I haven't heard of any of them having problems.

The "standard" 2Mb/sec SD card will drop frames in highest quality movie mode. You seem to need 4Mb/sec of write speed to not drop any frames. The manual warns of dropped frames if you use a slow SD card.

The card speed has nothing to do with the lens error.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:13 PM   #8

Well, seeing as how you obvisouly don't work here with me I don't think you would totally know that information sir. I work with this camera every dayof the week and talk to numerous people each day. When I talk to someone, or multiple people for that matter. Each one that has had a Lens Error has not only had a High Speed memory card(which the Casio's DON'T support reguardless if you got it to work)but when the card was removed from the unit the Lens Error disappeared. So please I work with the camera every single day and I'm here to help those who are asking questions and are less informed to become informed with information they might not have.
CasioTechSupport4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 3:27 PM   #9

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Many people have Sandisk Ultra II cards for their Z750 and I haven't heard of any of them having problems.

The "standard" 2Mb/sec SD card will drop frames in highest quality movie mode. You seem to need 4Mb/sec of write speed to not drop any frames. The manual warns of dropped frames if you use a slow SD card.

The card speed has nothing to do with the lens error.

The "standard" SD card writes at 2MegaBytes/s. Not, 2Megabit/s. There's a difference, there are 8 bits in every byte, so it's really writing at 8Megabits/s. According to the Z750 manual the HQ quality video does work at 4Mb/s --4 Megabits/s; Which is twice what is needed.

The manual is often wrong, it also states on page 88 you need to use UP and RIGHT to adjust your EV-Shift value. This is obviously wrong. Also, just above that it says the camera needs to be in "S" mode to manually set the aperture and "A" to manually set the shutter. So I wouldn't go trusting the manual.

High speed memory cards fail much sooner than standard memory cards, and a malfunctioning memory card can cause some very very weird errors, including a Lens Error. In my own experience, a card error can even completely lock up the camera.
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:03 AM   #10

Now I feel bummed that I brought a 1 GB Ultra II card. So, you said even the problem will come up eventually if I kept using this card?

Second question, does all the camera has an LCD light leakage problem??? I have gone thru 3 cameras and all of them has some light coming out of the bottom of the LCD. It is not very noticible unless I'm in a very dark place though.

Thirdly, I saw a thread here saying that the "blue halo on the bottom right of the LCD when zooming" is a normal glitch for this camera? I have one on mine too. Then again, it is only noticible in a dark room.

It'd be great if you can answer these questions for us, CasioTechSupport4

Thanks in advance.
Simplified is offline   Reply With Quote