Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:39 AM   #1

i belong to a watch forum and we take pictures of our new watches and i decided to upgrade my camera from the 4u i was fine with and it took ok pics to the 750 which take blurry pics , i have a light box and on my 4 u i use macro setting with the robot and i us no flash and the pics turn out ok , now i do the same set up with the 750 and i cant take one picture with out blurriness and when using zoom on the watch it is worse , what am i doing wrong or did i make the wrong choice in cameras , i do like compact , thanks for any help from the experts
redbigjoe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:52 AM   #2

The Z750 focuses down to only 10cm – that is about 4 1/2 inches. That goes to 50cm at full zoom or around 23 inches. Most micro modes focus closer. Most cameras increase the macro distance with zoom like the Casio does.

If you need large photos of the watches you probably bought the wrong camera. You get good even lighting from the flash at that distance, and if you can be happy with a crop of the watch it might work out. But if you intend making prints over 8 X 10 the crop might be too much.

If you read the manual and are staying at the 10cm limit there must be something wrong with the camera. Mine focuses fine at that distance.

Not sure what a 4u is, but you might compare the specs on the minimum macro focus distance.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:08 AM   #3

thanks for such quick reply , well here goes i set the watches inside a 14X14 box with light holes cut out on top and sides and been doing it for about 8 months now ,the 4u is the exilium ex-z4 model it is the 4 mp version of the 750 , and i usually zoom in on the watch and teh camera is on a tripod ,and use the macro settings in best shot mode and they turn out fine without any blurr and no flash cause remember im in a light box and i alos can hold the watch and zoom in on the movment and get pretty good detailed shots but i set the 750 at the same setting i believe as the z4 model and sam tripod and hand held pics come out not so crisp blurred basically i know this camera should take better pics than that i also noticed the screen is a little darker on the 750 i just bought it from circuit city in my town , is there some settings i dont know about the watches sit approx. 10 to 12 inches from the camera so i zoom in on them to show the details of the watch
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:58 AM   #4

Before you take the Z750 back check out the manual settings, especially manual focus and manual exposure. You may find the Z750 works as well or better than the 4U with these settings. I was very impressed with using exposures up to 8 sconds long after securing the cam on a hard surface. Since you use the tripod and your watches can't walk you should get photos as bright as you want. If you are saying the display brightness on the Z750 seems dimmer you can adjust the screen brightness to a higher setting.

In photo Record mode go to Set Up/Screen/Bright

If you mean the photo is not bright enough you can set the exposure to a longer setting.
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:12 AM   #5

Also use your timer on the Z750. Even on a tripod pressing the top shutter button on th camera can cause movemement of the camera, making the shot look blurry. If you use the timer you can let the camera snap a photo by itself. I just took a shot of my Luminox watch using manual mode and have no doubt I could blow the pic up to an 8x10 without a problem. You really have a great camera there. Take a little time to learn the features and I believe you will be as happy as I am with the Z750.:G
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:05 AM   #6

You are absolutely right- every time I take a 1/8+ sec. exposure, I always activate the 2 sec. shutter delay- till now I thought it is so obvious that it is not even worth of mentioning... :roll:

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:01 PM   #7

i havent had the chance to try these things u say it sounds greek to me i sent u a pm and i truly thank u for tring to help me i hope i can get a more descriptive walk through with the things u say i dont understand the terminology for i have not been able to download the instruction cd because of computer problems , thanks for anymore detailed instruction and anyone else that thinks they can help i sure would really appreciate it cause i love the looks of the camera
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:59 PM   #8

If you zoom all the way to get the watch movements you can't shoot from 12 inches. It is immaterial whether you use manual or auto focus – the focus distance at full zoom is 50cm.

In manual focus, zoom until the minimum focus distance shows 25cm if your distance is 12 inches. Use 20cm for 10 inches. Take the shot either manually focused or in snapshot mode with the same zoom. The image should be in focus. Then crop the image to your liking and see if you still have enough pixels for your purposes. You probably will unless you are making large prints.

I agree you should always use the self timer for a tripod. But if you are zooming full out with a distance from the watch of 10-12 inches it won't focus – period.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:48 AM   #9

Are you using the macro focus? The focus mode is controlled by pushing on the top of the Direcional pad (D-pad is on the bottom right circle).

I would try using the camera's bestshot settings and see how it turns out. To use bestshot, set the top right dial to "BS", then push the "set" button (in the center of the D-pad). Use the D-pad to select the type of photo you want to take.

Ones that may work well would include number 17 "Food" for brighter colors on the watches, number 18 "Text" for the sharpest shots, and number 19 "collection" for general use and a composition outline that may help you get each shot centered.

Good luck and post your results!

The camera will take good macro shots if you are willing to "crop" out some of the photo that you don't want. Here's a flash shot in macro mode.
Attached Images

NewberryAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:49 AM   #10

Here is a macro shot with no flash:

Attached Images

NewberryAP is offline   Reply With Quote