Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:15 AM   #1

Hi there, I have a Casio Exilim Z50 which I have owned for around 3 months, I use it every now and again and have only taken around 600 pictures with it.

The other night I was out and it had been working fine, we took about 100 photos with no problems. A short while later I got it out again to take some more photos when lo-and-behold the lens wouldnt come out. I tried a few more times to get it to work, before thinking maybe it was the battery had ran out. I got the camera home and put in on charge, after it had charged I tried again and it still appeared broken. I have tried removing the battery and the SD card but neither of these have made any difference.

The fault appears to be that the unit appears to operate but that the lens does not come out. The green light appears for a split second, and the unit makes a little beep, followed by a short amount of whirring engine noise, but nothing happens after that. Even when in the charger the unit will not upload the pics to the computer, so it appears to be a general 'will-not-turn-on-even-though-it-appears-to-begin-to' fault.

I have emailed Casio and told them of the fault, and they have suggested I send the 'watch'(!) back to their engineers so it can be examined. However, the warranty says that it does not cover "impact damage". I am sure I have not bashed the camera, but as I dont know what has caused the damage I am a little concerned that Casio are going to fob me off with a lame excuse that the fault is caused by impact damage. If this should be the case, I have no idea how much the damage will cost to repair (earlier this year Pentax wanted £100 to fix the LCD screen on my old Optio S4 which admittedly was caused by impact damage).

I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences or had any ideas as to what could be causing this. Also, if anyone has had any experience with Casio's return department so that I can prepare myself for what they will do!

Thanks for any advice or help in advance, Ally P.
AllyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:35 PM   #2

Bump, anyone any ideas please? Thanks.
AllyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 7:02 PM   #3

My son's Z40, is also broken. Same problem: the lens won't come out. Sent it to Casio under warranty, they claim the lens is bent, implying physical damage, and will not repair it under the warranty. The camera was not dropped or abused. Estimate to repair: $200 plus $13 shipping.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:09 AM   #4

Hi,

I too got the same problem now on my Casio Z50. The lens just wont open up, Casio guys say that its because of Impact and i need to change the lens unit. Cost $140.

Its not been misused in anyway. Can this be a serious problem with the lens unit of casio itself and they blaming us for mishandling?
rajas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:07 PM   #5

I have the same problem, Casio EX-Z50, less than one year old, have not dropped it, and suddenly the lens will not open up. Sounds like we have a bum model from Casio. I'm going to pursue Casio for warranty help and I'll be interested to hear from any others who make any headway on this.
cyndya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:09 PM   #6

I believe our camera was damaged when the "green button" on the top of the camera was activated by a minor pressure while in a case. The lens then extends in the case and becomes dislodged. The green/red buttons can be deactivated from a menu command, too late for you, I'm afraid. We had a good repair done for less than Casio charges at *****************.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote