Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:14 AM   #1

I was wondering if anyone could tell me some tips in regards to getting the best photos from a Casio ex-z750? I understand from many people that the saturation, and sharpness by default is too high, so people recommend setting it to negative –1. In terms of other tips, is there any other things which should be considered? In addition, what settings are considered native (Nateral) and which are software enhanced (ie, Digital Zoom, Artificial sharpening, saturation etc)? It seems that people complain about the defaults being ‘over-the-top' to begin with, so are those defaults native problems with the camera, or is anything above –2 implying you are applying some software interpolation to the final image?

I know some cameras can do it, but is there a way for the casio to take the same picture at a spread of diffrent settings, so at least you can be sure one of them was a good shot? It would make it a lot easier than re-taking the same picture multiple times trying all the settings.
Trenton_net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:09 PM   #2

Even -2 on the settings give some processing in most cameras.

I don't know of an auto-bracketing setting on the Z750. My guess why it isn't there is because it doesn't have a burst mode. I often bracket with the spot meter by pre-metering on different parts of the scene. You not only get different exposures but the white balance usually varies as well.

Digital photos are free and everyone has their own preferences. I would find the settings you like for certain situations and make custom scene modes with them. You can have a picture to tell you what those settings are for. The camera seems to go to the last scene mode you used, so it is fast to get to the custom modes. If it resets for some reason the first click to the left takes you to the custom scenes. Take lots of pictures of the same thing with different settings if you have time. The EXIF will tell you what settings you used. I just leave mine on a single setting and can't tell you exactly which settings in the EXIF tell you about the saturation, contrast and sharpening, but they do reflect there because the numbers are different when I use different settings. It is in the a406-a40a area of the EXIF. I think it gives positive settings in a different category if you use negative.

I don't use the regular scene modes. They bypass your basic settings.

Sharpening adds artifacts. If you blow up a sharpened image you will see it adds stuff to the edges to give the impression of sharpness. If you usually use the images directly from the camera with nothing other than cropping, the pictures look better with a little sharpening. Lower sharpening is better for post processing as the sharpening step should be done last so you aren't enhancing the sharpening artifacts.

Contrast lowers your dynamic range. That means you have less latitude between blown highlights and deep shadows. If you are familiar with a histogram tool in an image editor, contrast just moves the white and black points an equal amount toward each other, cutting out some of the image at the extremes of the bright and dark scale. Subtle details in the very bright areas become just white and some very dark shadows become black. If you don't post process the images look flat at -2, even though you have captured more of the image. To get the image looking right in post processing you usually have to give up something to get the contrast up where it belongs. You have a choice though of whether you want to give up highlights or shadows. And it is possible to keep both with advanced techniques and still have the contrast not look too bad. But if you aren't into post processing you do better with a contrast setting that is pleasing to you.

I'm not sure you lose anything with the saturation, but I set it at minimum since I have to run a batch process to get viewable images. But I also keep the originals if I want to do more work on them.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:07 AM   #3

Hi Trenton,

Have you updated the firmware on you camera? The new firmware changes the settings of the cam so that all 0's on the saturation, contrast, and sharpness are pretty natural and not overblown like before.

If you want to update, go to this link, click I agree at the bottom. I believe you have to put in the serial number of your camera. Download the file and copy it to your SD card. Startup the camera with the menu button held down and it will ask you to update. Be sure your battery is fully charged before you start.

http://world.casio.com/qv/download/en/ex_z750_firmup/

NewberryAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:16 AM   #4

Are you absolutly sure the firmware does this?Casio mentions that the only kind of modification which occures is that zooming can be performed in both porterate and landscape modes without the need to switch between the two. Other than this, no additional changes is said about the firmware.
Trenton_net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:52 PM   #5

From my own pictures, it sure seems like it has changed the saturation quite a bit. I shoot at the default settings now and the colors are still a little bright, but not like before. It also removes the high-pitched whine that some experience while filming movies. I like my camera better after the update.

As I understand, you can't go back to the original though!

NewberryAP is offline   Reply With Quote