Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:37 AM   #1

Default Does anyone know where to get a QV5700 in the USA

I now its new, but I was wondering if anyone knows where to find a QV5700 in the USA. Thank you in advance.
aksting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:26 PM   #2

If you really want, you can order at a webshop in Europe. Some of them will certain ship to the US.
The price differs in the several European countries, so make a search tot find the cheapest. I think it will be about 650 US% (600 Euro). Included with the 1GB microdrive you have to think about 880 Euro.
Fred
fredkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 1:14 PM   #3

It is available at www.Casio.com web site. I just checked with casio people and its availabel online.
I was wondering why Steve hasn't give any review about this camera, i would like to buy this camera but i am waiting for Steve's Review.

Kiffu
kiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2003, 12:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffu
It is available at www.Casio.com web site. I just checked with casio people and its availabel online.
I was wondering why Steve hasn't give any review about this camera, i would like to buy this camera but i am waiting for Steve's Review.

Kiffu
casio.com (us site) has qv5700 but you can only preorder it -- can't buy it yet

my friend has this cam (in europe) and he's more than happy
cam was packaged w/ microdrive and universal battery charger+4 batteries -- charger works on 120/240V 60/50Hz which is very very convinient if you travel around the world.

I saw quality of photos and it is really amazing. In reviews (european magazines) it is rated above G3 which is very good for manufacturer like casio. cam uses canon lens which really increases quality of the photos.
it is somewhat bulky, though -- but considering wide set of features and microdrive capability it is more than acceptable.

I'm getting it next week and maybe I'll post here about my on hand experience with it.

It is strange why it is not sold in US -- it has been released in fall in europe...
would be very helpful if Steve would review this cam (although I heard it is extremely similar to qv4000, but with some improvements)
sunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:59 AM   #5

Default qv5700

I just got this cam couple of days ago. Did some test shots with it and here's what I can say so far.

I also have olympus 3040, so I'll compare qv5700 to it.

qv takes really great photos -- colors are more vivid, and more correct, I'd say. when taking pics of snowy streets w/ olympus (in automode) photos are dark and I have to adjust levels and sometimes color balance to get the right picture. with qv colors/brightness seem to be correct, snow is white, instead of grayish (as in olympus). macro shots are also great, somewhat better than in olumpus. you have much better control over focus in qv -- it's possible to select an area (one of 9) which will be focused.

cam is somewhat slow (maybe b/c of microdrive). sometimes it takes several seconds to be able to take next pic (and sometimes there's no wait).

picture preview is much slower that in olympus (when you choose to view preview of 9 pics per screen) and the way photos are displayed seems to be undeveloped (thumbnails have no border or spaces betweens them -- looks somewhat unprofessional).

batteries die really fast -- I use same batteries on olympus and can take about 200 pics, and on casio it's less than 100 photos (2 with flash).

photos in casio at 1600x1200 are 1MB/600KB/300KB in best/good/economy modes in olympus it's 300KB in normal mode (there're only 2 modes in olympus). quality of photos in casio is superior to olympus, though.

controls of casio are comfortable so far. a lot of wheels to turn + joystic + lots of buttons. unlike in olympus, you can access most of the features by pushing/turning buttons/wheels instead of going to the menu. it feels that after getting used to controls they will be much more comfortable than in olympus (where you need to go to the menu to access most advanced features).

lcd is *much* better on olympus cam (3040) there you can view it from almost any angle. on qv you should look straight to see correct image, otherwise colors look inverted.

on my qv lcd there's 1 burned pixel (it's red) -- it is annoying but I wont be exchanging cam b/c of this -- it is a common problem w/ tft screens. as long as there're no burned pixels on ccd I can live with it. Also, yesterday I encountered a strange problem -- I pressed on shutter release to focus and screen went completely white, and remained white until I turn cam off, when it was powered on again screen was ok. I'll investigate more on this problem and if it'll occur again, I'll have to exchange cam.

qv5700 does take some time getting used to (for someone who was using olympus 3040), but it is really a great cam, loaded with features (which could be easily and quickly accessed). cam has its flaws but nothing is perfect. I hope that I won't have any more "surprises" from this cam and it'll prove to be what I think it is from the first days of using qv.
sunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 8:29 AM   #6

Default digital camera QV-

Hi, to all the holders of the digital camera serious Casio QV with interface serial.
Kindly the electric scheme of the cable rs-232 of connection serves me to the PC.

Thanks.
By [email protected]
grassoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 5:12 PM   #7

Casio vendors are few and far between in the US. If there is a Best Buy near you try there. Sometimes they have them early on.
Digital Bob
Bob Polk is offline   Reply With Quote