Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 14, 2005, 7:47 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I recently (2 days ago) purchased a Casio EX-Z750 camera. I've been taking some photos with it, and they aren't turning out how I had hoped. Everything is on Auto mode for now (using snapshot). It seems like there is noticable bluring on the images, and when viewed at actual resolution, they seem really badly pixellated/grainy. I can't really describe it, so I'll toss up some photos I took of my "bunker" and some photos of old junk I was working on. Yes, I realize these aren't the greatest photos, but at least it could give you all and idea of what I'm talking about. If you need more photos, just tell me what to shoot and I'll go do it, but I want to make sure this camera is not defective, I've only got 7 or 8 more days left to return it (10 day policy).

PS - These are shot in highest quality, largest size, so beware modem users, not 56k friendly (approx 4 megs each).

http://monolith.orblivion.com/images/cracks
http://monolith.orblivion.com/images/david/work

It looks like there might be some heavy blurring on left and right side (esp. right). I did upgrade to firmware 1.01, all settings are at 0 currently. Maybe it's just me, but could you all evaluate the photos and tell me what you think? Again, if you need other pictures, let me know what to take them of, what settings to tweak, etc.

Thanks a TON!

David
ormandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:58 PM   #2

Some more photos, I tried to get a lot of pictures where the distance is equal to both left/right/center of the frame.

http://monolith.orblivion.com/images/casio/testing

Sorry for my messy home..

David
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:49 PM   #3

What about this model review ?

http://www.cameras.co.uk/details/casio-exilim-ex-z750.cfm
Takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:28 PM   #4

I would exchange it. The camera appears to have a soft right edge and especially the lower right corner.

On most of them it is hard to tell what is blurred because it is closer or further away that the point on which the camera is focused. But on a couple shots things in the right and left lower corner are the same distance and there is a big difference in sharpness.

If you want to be sure climb that hill with the water tower and take some pictures with things in the lower corners far away with nothing in the foreground – don't get any of the ground or any objects closer than say 30 yards. You can then be sure than that the corners are really blurred.

The images with grain are showing noise, which is normal when you take a photo without enough light.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 6:38 PM   #5

I have been having the same problems.I took a picture of a pine tree's branches at 3pm today great light, terrible picture.I do shoot P/T sports with my Nikon D2H so I know a good image.I have bee told I don't hold the camera still enough.That may be true with low light but midday sun I expect a much better image.I have tried about 400-500 images but I will be returning the camera for a new one to see if that solves the problem, otherwise it's gone.
praffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:32 PM   #6

There have been previous posts by people with corner and edge softness. It seems to happen after the lens is blocked when it tries to extend.

I took a shot of this cloud and happened to get houses in the lower corners. I'll show you the original and the extreme crop of a corner. Corner softness isn't that bad. Better than most pocket cameras.

If either of you aren't getting this level of corner sharpness when focused at infinity with things in the corners at a distance then you should probably exchange the camera. Make sure to put the mode dial in audio record before putting it in your pocket, purse or pouch. If the camera turns itself on it turns back off after a couple of minutes and you never know it accidentally got the lens restricted. But you can develop focus problems from doing that even if you don't get a lens error message. In audio record it doesn't try to extend the lens if it gets accidentally turned on.

Original:

The crop is only 260 pixels wide and represents well less than 1% of the image: It is upsampled to 700 pixels wide so you can see it.

Old Aug 27, 2005, 1:00 AM   #7

I returned the camera quite some time ago. They had no more in stock, and I'm actually pretty glad. That Panasonic LX1 looks really interesting, we'll see about the "noise" everybody gripes about once some proper reviews come out. As in, more than one. Good luck with your cameras.PS - To the people posting about corner softness, it wasn't the corner of the image on mine, it was the entire right side of the image. Brand new camera, never carried in a pocket/case/etc. The lense certainly had no attempted to extend itself when incapable. It was just a defective camera. Nice camera all in all, but it seems quality control was on vacation during at least the initial run. Hopefully Casio gets the QC act under control, I've seen a LOT of posts pertaining to replacing the camera sometimes up to 5 times prior to getting a "Good" one. Cheers,David
Old Aug 27, 2005, 3:15 PM   #8

Well I returned the camera and picked up another one,* I exchanged my full battery for the new emply one. In the parking lot I took some pictures. The same ones I took on the first camera. On the screen they did look better, but I held my breath until I got home and looked at them on my monitor. On my lawn I have an orange wheel barrel with some white lettering on* a black background. It gives all my cameras fits with the contrast. My D2H and 70-200 VR did a good job on the image, So did my daughters 2 meg Nikon. The original Z750 was just a blur of color and noise. Well the new Z750 was very good, along with the other test images. This is the camera that Ken Rockwell was talking about. It does have the 1.0 firmware and I am scared to upgrade it.
praffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:45 PM   #9

The only big difference I found with the new firmware was that the noise was gone from the movies. I had been shooting with my contrast, sharpening and saturation lowered though.

The firmware upgrade is pretty foolproof if you have the battery charged.

Glad you got a good camera. Casio does seem to have some quality control issues.

Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:30 PM   #10

Hello members;

I hope someone can help me make a decision. I am divided between the Casio s500 or the Casio z750. I really like the z750 because it has 7.2 MB and MPEG 4 but I heard so many horror stories such as the dreaded "Lens Error" message.

After reading so many horror stories I was leaning towards the s500 but almost all the reviews I have read says that it has soft images. This to say the least has disillutioned me to the say the least. I had recently purchased a Samsung U CA 5 digital camera and it is CRAP! Images are very soft even if with in camera sharpening set to max.

I definitely do not want to purchase a digital camera with soft images. Many things don't get me upset more than having a beautiful picture spoiled by softness. (Note: I know sharpening could be applied to images via editing programs, but I am not interested in going through that hassle)!

I really would like to hear from you my friendsthat have experience with the Casio s500. Is the "softness" issue real or is it a "bad" camera that reviewers such as CNET received for their test reviews.

In other words, is thethe "softness" issuean isolated incident or is it a "real" problem inherent in the Casio s500 cameras? Please respond as soon as you can since I really want to purchase the camera next week. Thank you for any help!

NOTE: TO ANSWER THOSE OF YOU SAYING WELL WHY ONLY CASIO..WHY NOT ANOTHER BRAND? THE ANSWER IS I WANT A CAMERA WITH GOOD QUALITY MPEG 4 VIDEO CAPABILITY. IT HAS TO BE MPEG 4 SINCE I AM A FAN OF THAT RECORDING FORMAT.
sammynyc is offline   Reply With Quote