Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1

I just recently purchased the casio z750. I've noticed that when viewing pics at 100% resolution, some artifacts appear, espcially on the skin tones. Is this typical of a 7mp type resolution, I don't they would appear on prints, or when viewing on the monitor in a displayable resolution. One of reasons for the 7.2 mp was the 'extra zoom' capabilities, namely the benefit of being able to crop a picture considerably when beyond zoomable distance, but still keep a decent resoultion. I've heard that the casio uses the sony sensor, so would sony have the same issue. My other option is to return this camera and pick up the olympus 800, though its bigger and doesn't do the same quality videos.
larrytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2005, 10:53 AM   #2

Well unfortunately the Casio Cameras only have a DPI of 72. So I'm not surprized to hear that at all. There isn't any way to change the DPI nor has Casio released anything that would allow you to do so. I would probably suggest if you're not happy with the camera to try either a higher end Kodak or Olympus.
CasioTechSupport4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:38 PM   #3

what is meant by 'DPI' of 72. THis is a 7.2 megapixel camera.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:40 PM   #4

Dots Per square Inch. This means that no matter what the resolution size the camera's images are that only 72dots will be at every square inch.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:48 PM   #5

The PPI that any camera puts in the JPG file makes absolutely no difference viewing them onscreen. When you view the image at 100% you see exactly the same image regardless of whether the camera maker puts 72PPI or 300 PPI as the resolution in the file. You see 2304 pixels high and 3072 pixels wide with the Z750. Take the image into Photoshop and change the resolution to 300 PPI with "Resample image" unchecked and it still displays 2304 X 3072 when you view it 100%. The resolution you see is purely dependent on your screen resolution.

Cameras with the same sensor don't necessarily have the same output. There is a lot of processing in the camera. Generally speaking, software that reduces noise or aggressively anti-aliases the image produces slightly softer images. Every company seems to have its own preferences as to how they balance the trade-off and how they want the image to look.

To take the camera from a 3X optical to a 6X zoom with cropping will leave you with a 1.8 Mp image. You would do the same with digital zoom. Cropping isn't a good substitute for a good optical zoom range. There are a few good smallish cameras with 5X zooms – you might want to consider one of those.

The sensor makers have done a better than expected job of increasing density without terrible noise increases. But I think most 7 and 8 Mp images viewed at 100% will not look quite as good as one from a good 3Mp camera viewed 100%. Viewed the same size they usually compare well though.

Try manually setting ISO 50 for your portraits.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 2:03 PM   #6

Or since I work for Casio Tech Support and know...maybe following what I said would be the best thing...thank you.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 11:33 PM   #7

CasioTechSupport4 wrote:
Quote:
Or since I work for Casio Tech Support and know...maybe following what I said would be the best thing...thank you.
If you actually provide Casio tech support that might be a good reason to follow what you said and switch to a Kodak or Olympus.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 8:01 AM   #8

LOL or since I've owned a Kodak and my friend owns a Olympus AND I've owned a Casio...I'll stick with the Casio.:blah:
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:24 PM   #9

I still don't get the 72dpi statement. AT 7.2 megapixels, the resolution is 3072 x 2304 (this is the number of pixels). If the pixel density were 72 dpi, that would require a 42 inch by 32 inch sensor. I believe you may be referring to the resolution of the display.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:29 PM   #10

larrytr wrote:
Quote:
I still don't get the 72dpi statement. AT 7.2 megapixels, the resolution is 3072 x 2304 (this is the number of pixels). If the pixel density were 72 dpi, that would require a 42 inch by 32 inch sensor. I believe you may be referring to the resolution of the display.

It's dots per square inch. Check here for more info > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DPI
Specter is offline   Reply With Quote