Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1

Howdy ya'll!

Well thus far nothing new on the Casio front. Unless you're not aware Casio is dropping two new cameras here in the states. The EX-Z110 and Z120 seem to be replacing the QV-R series of cameras at this time. Though this hasn't been confirmed it seems like these cameras might do just that. The Exilim line has florished in the last few years and hopefully these cameras aren't as floppy as the QV-R line.

The EX-Z500 and EX-Z10 are slated for release to our wonderful UK friends! I'll keep posted for you guys on anything to come about with these cameras!

Wanted to let you know a few weeks ago we broke a EX-Z750 and gave it a "System Error". We were able to fix it by updating the firmware. So for you guys who might find that error, try the firmware update on Casio.com. This goes for anything Casio Camera with a firmware update, as we also broke the P700 and fixed it the same way.

I did post my email address and thus far only one person took advantage...lol...so those of you who have problems and don't want to post...just give me an email. That's all for now! I'll be on throughout the week and weekend and I'll try to have a mass update every Wednesday! As before I'll be here to answer any questions...and as always have a great week!!!

Jason- [email protected]

*ADDED RECENTLY*

I've been asked on the phones what camera I feel is the best Casio has released. My opinion...nothing beats the EX-Z40. I wish I wouldn't have sold it.
CasioTechSupport4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:50 PM   #2
EDD

CasioTechSupport4 wrote:
Quote:
Wanted to let you know a few weeks ago we broke a EX-Z750 and gave it a "System Error". We were able to fix it by updating the firmware. So for you guys who might find that error, try the firmware update on Casio.com. This goes for anything Casio Camera with a firmware update, as we also broke the P700 and fixed it the same way.
What do you mean by this? How is this useful or am I missing something?

Is this good? What exactly does the new firmware (version no. please)resolve as of today and what has yet to be fixed by firmware in the near future?

I've read about al lot of disturbing issues here with the Z750 yet at the same time when it's working fine, those owners are extreamly happy.

What is happening now to improve quality control? Have changes been made or are they just going to keep saying to "return the camera"or "send it in for repari" and not worry about QC?

When will there be a new press release on the next NEW camera lineup more like the s750? maybe or a z800? maybe.:-)

Lots of questions I know, but I think many others would be interested in your insight.

EDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 3:30 PM   #3

Well when we busted the camera we werereally just toying around with some diagnostics and caused a system error. The firmware doesn't say specifically that it'll fix the system error but it did. Mostly it was a test myself and another did to see if it would fix it and it did(on both cameras).

The bad press on the EX-Z750 relates mostly to the "Lens Error". Which I've seen is mostly caused by the high speed memory cards that retailers tell you that you "need" it. You don't. The high speed card tries to make the camera increase a write speed that isn't increasable.

New cameras you ask? I don't have any news on the new Exilim line yet except for the Z110 or Z120. Though I wouldn't be surprized to see new ones released later on in the fall months. Hopefully another flop like the P505 doesn't rear its ugly head.

Quality control thus far and for now looks to be limited. Aside from the actual quality control in the camera (Fine,Normal,Economy) and the resolution selections are the only quality controls for the camera. Hopefully a DPI setting will come out on newer cameras in the future which would vastly improve the picture quality.

Keep the questions comming. If I haven't gone over it I will if you ask it!!!
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:16 PM   #4

casio announced those cameras a few weeks ago...
cheaplikeafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:18 PM   #5

August 4th to be exact, just thought i'd update the forum on the new cameras incase they didn't know
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:20 AM   #6
EDD

Tech...

First when I was talking about QC (Quality Control) I was talking about manufacturing quality, not picture quality so please re answer the question with this in mind.

Secondly... I'm not buying your memory card explanation for the "lense errors" This makes no sense. Please elaborate why we should believe you.

Here is what I see wrong with your explanation.

- Users are reporting no change with memory errors when changing to a standard card.

- Other users are reporting they get NO errors with high speed cards.

- The only errors regarding memory cards are those of read/write errors. Either they work or they don't. Are you saying when a read/write error occurs your going to get a message telling you that you just experienced a "Lense Error" problem?

- Why would you not get a "read/write error" instead? If the card can not keep up with the flow of data from the camera buffer then it will just wait for the write to complete before executing another read. This is NOT an error, it's just a delay in writing.

- Are you saying that if a "write delay" condition exists the cameras error message is going to be a "lense error"?

- If the memory is faster than the buffers ability to send data then the camera will never be waiting to write operations. So if you use fast memory cards the camera is going to complain and give you a "lense error" message?

- Why is this problem just with the Z750? Name any other camera that suggests you should not use fast memory because "this will cause lense errors"?

- How can a fast memory prevent the lens from retracting or coming out or locking up somewhere in between? I can't imagine how this makes sense. This is all controlled by the camear hardware and the firmware so technically it has **nothing to do with the SD memory card**

Non of the above makes sense to me and as such I don't believe or understand your reason's for this conclusion. So, please, explain in these technical terms how a lense error message can be explained by saying it's just the faster media that's causing the lense errors given the above analogy?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:47 AM   #7

Take it easy! I just bought Z750 on 22 Aug. That night, I saw a dead pixel on the LCD screen, so I got an exchange on 23 Aug. Both were made in Japan, one with a "red label" on the front, the other don't. Everything seems fine so far on the 2nd cam. So I can say Casio has a relatively low "quality control" on manufacturing. However, when it works, it's lovely especially movie.

Dispite many people experience "defect" of this cam, I guess some might due to stores repacking and reselling defect/returned units. Also, it might due to the auto on function of the play/record buttons and the very soft case that people accidentally turn on the lens inside the case. When this happen and damaged the camera, people might pretend it is a defect camera and return it to stores. Since this kind of probelm may not happen every time, sales person in stores may not seriously check the camera to trigger the same error, and they might be too lazy to return it to Casio. Note that some stores may not have too many stocks, so returning 1 unit to Casio means they may be out of stock for a week or two. So from a business point of view, it's possible for them to resell a returned unit.

Regarding CasioTechSupport's advice, I think we should respect him, even one may not want to take his advice.This is not an official Casio techncial support, so no matter CasioTechSupport is a real Casio employee or not, you trust him at your own risk. If one is upset about his advice, why not contact Casio directly. At least I don't see his advice harmful. Much better than seeing someone advice people to "push" the lens, which I believe will have a large chance to break a lens that wasn't really damage.

Sometimes, electronics are complicated and not easily understand using common sense. One example: I have seen many many people having their Laptop/Notebook computer turned on and then plug into a projector. Then the computer hang! Does it make sense an external project can hang a computer? And it happens to Sharp/Sony more than on IBM? So I guess there is still a possibility that a High Speed memory card (or even any other weird factors) that can cause Z750 to malfunction. If you ask why, all I guess is the "fault tolerent" of Z750 is not as good as other camera.
ahdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:23 PM   #8
EDD

ahdummy... As much as I appreciate your response, these are really simple technical questions and trying to answer them with speculation is not going to help anyone.
Quote:
Regarding CasioTechSupport's advice, I think we should respect him
I'm sure when he reads these simple questions he will not see them as being disrespectful.

It's true that "electronics are complicated and not easily understand using common sense" for most people who are not trained in this fieldbut for technical support people all this is not that big a deal.

These are very logical devices having great deal of precision in the hardware functionality but easily understood by trained and skilled people. I'm sorry for asking technical questions. I realize it's difficult for most people here to understand.

You do raise a good point however. I too wonder ifCasioTechSupport4 is a realCasio person paid/employed by Casio. Either way he's OK with me but just wondering.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:07 AM   #9

I've got a lens error fix in the works. Its only been tested once and I'm waiting on the final results. If you'd like to try it yourself please email me!
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:17 AM   #10

Can you please post this fix when you get the results - I'm sure we'd all like to know the solution!
TheGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote