Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:54 PM   #1

Hi,

I used a V550 for 2 days and i liked the picture quality. The camera is very nice but the LCD doesn't have a glass protection and the body material is definitely not metal. I say its painted plastic.

I liked all in this tiny camera(V550) minus this 2 "problems"

Today, i saw the Z500 in the net and i liked it at the first time. I read all specifications and Z500 has a betters features than the V550: DSP(image stabilization), LCD glass protection and its little, etc...

I can't find a review or a comparation. Anyone have the Z500? How it is ?

Help me to choose, please !!!

Thanks,

Bruno
shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:07 PM   #2

Z500 (also all other current Casio) DSP image-stabilization is somewhat a trick only - it simply increases the ISO to very high values and thus it "could" reduce the shutter time. It's not real optical/lens stabilization

But everybody knows that icreasing the ISO would produce higher noise as well.

In fact you could also achieve the same effect in v550 by adjusting the ISO.

Regarding that v550 "...the body material is definitely not metal. I say its painted plastic...."

I would say it's one the most metal & solid feel DC I've owned. And the finishing fine-pitch on the metal surface for firm-grip is just PERFECT. I estimate over 90% of the chasis is metal. Which parts of the chasis do you think are not metal (except for the lens, buttons & LCD)? I am eligible to say that because I (in fact my son) dropped it accidentally resulting in some scratches , and found the material beneath the paint was still metal. It is casted aluminium I think.

I think the non-metal or plastic comments should go to Casio DC instead.

Also for video mode, v550 is just superior. It can optical zoom during video, while all Casio compact DC's (including Z500) cannot.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 9:28 PM   #3

If you also have v550, try considering Casio Z750 if you're interested in taking long movie with DC. If all you're interested is photo, I think v550 is just good enough, or you may consider a DSLR. v550 suffer from a weak battery. I can take more than 1 hour (170 mins according to spec) with Z750 without changing battery, but v550 can take around 30 mins only. Changing a battery in a middle of a movie is not that good. Even in photo mode, v550 can take much less photo than many other camera. For me, the digital zoom capability of z750 under movie mode is just fine within 2/3 of the zoom.
ahdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 1:59 AM   #4

Hi,

I tought v550 was plastic because of the toutch of his back panel. If you say its metal, i'm more happy.

Then, i think i gonna buykodak's v550 black modelnext thursday instead of waiting for the z500.

thanks for your opinions,

Bruno
shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote