Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:02 AM   #1

I got my S500 early from the few in stock at buy.com for $312 I've used it for about a month and I am completely dissatisfied.

Steve claims the powerup time is less than 2 seconds. But he probably didn't notice that's only when the camera is warm (e.g. when it's powered up recently and shut down) To boot up from cold the camera takes about 7-8 seconds which is virtually forever. The shutter lag is horrible with multiple AF points, sometimes (in fact one out of ever 4 times or so) if you press the shutter all the way down (right after AF beep)and nothing happens.

Under low ambient light condition the focus is often extremely bad. About 1/3 of the time the picture looks like it's been put through Photoshop's mosiac filter. My friend saw the picture and saysit'sa lot worse even compared to the old Canon S230.The ISO noise at 200 or 400 is unusable.

Also, the camera never saves settings like Canon does. The ISO 50 pictures just looks whole lot better during day light but every time you turn it on you have to manually change it to 50 since it always defaults to 100.

I've had it for a week, rarely used it, somehow the LCD already ended up with two scratches.

Lastly, the wrist strap is vritually useless. You cannot, I repeat, you CANNOT have it around your wrist and take pictures at same time. My hands are relatively small too.

I agree it's a cool gadget and can wow a lot of people. But it's really not a camera. It's just a toy. This thing is going back to buy.com

leon3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2005, 4:56 PM   #2

i disagree with you. all i need to do to take picture in low light condition is to use the BS button. just pick one of the night scene inBest Shot setting.

it saves your setting automatically. but you need to go to menu and pick which one to save under "memory" option. also, you can save up to 99 different settings into "best shot" mode.

no offense, but obviously you didn't read the manual (the .pdf file in the CD). so i hope people who read this post reconsider this amazing tiny little camera.
kwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:09 AM   #3

The bottom line is: any point and shoot camera that does not do the job when you pull it out of your pocket and click is unworthy. When I use a P&S I just want to capture the moment, I do not want to spend any time change things like ISO, focus or WB etc. Canon S230, Fuji Z1, even Kyocera SL400R does better job than this S500.

Why should I go through a SLOOOOW best shot menu before I can snap a picture of a co-worker sneezing in the cubicle next to me? Why should I change ISO to 50 in broad day light? Did I mention the 8 seconds long cold startup time even with a 150x SD card.

Old Sep 6, 2005, 11:45 AM   #4

bull...

The camera does not take 7-8 second to power up to take pics "when cold"....

The wrist strap fits around my wrist... even though this is a very petty thing to moan about...

The quality of the movie mode simply blows the competition away

all in all I love the EX-S500 just like Steve did... and highly recommend it... It goes with me everywhere I go.... and people just can't stop talking about it...

untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 12:32 PM   #5

Have the camera sit for two hours. Turn it on, with in 8 seconds, press down the shutter while the orange light is still blinking, I dare you say the camera does anything at all.

And look at where the wrist strap is anchored.. right by the shutter. How ingenius... can you imagine taking a picture with the wrist strap around your right hand like that? Not for me.

Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:35 PM   #6

leon3536 wrote:
Quote:
Have the camera sit for two hours. Turn it on, with in 8 seconds, press down the shutter while the orange light is still blinking, I dare you say the camera does anything at all.

And look at where the wrist strap is anchored.. right by the shutter. How ingenius... can you imagine taking a picture with the wrist strap around your right hand like that? Not for me.
Quote:
since you are the only one complain about the speed. most likely, you got the defective camera.mine is so fast :-)

Old Sep 6, 2005, 6:24 PM   #7

It is possible mine is defective and I hope it is, as far as I know everything worksjust takes a lot of time to adjust things on such a uncomfortable camera. It could be the memory card is too big and it takes longtime for the camera to scan through it on start up. And the camera only keeps the file index cached for a short amount of (which explains the warm/cold difference)

Anyways, I strongly suggest anyone who's buying a S500 to test it out carefully. And consider all those other negatives I listed.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:16 PM   #8

leon3536: can you tell me which brand of SD card u used? was that a 2 gig card? i am going to buy a 2 gig card, but not so sure about which brand. thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:23 PM   #9

Newegg has quite a big selection. The ones I used is ADATA 150x 1GB. I don't see any reason to use a 2GB card as you will run out of battery recording movies around 1GB mark.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:52 AM   #10

I have a S500 with a 2 GB SanDisk Ultra IIcard and I doNOT expirense any delay and slow startups.

I'm very happy with my new camera

The best camera I have ever had.

/rubino
rubino is offline   Reply With Quote