Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Sep 13, 2005, 12:46 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum, though I've yet been reading before purchasing my Z750 that came last week...

Now I found a problem that doesn't seem to be mentioned before in the threads of this forum.

After the purchase of the cam I firstly used it with the 256M no-name-low-speed-SD-card that came from my old QV-R 40. Now I bought a new 1G 66x SD-card (extrememory) and I wanted to upload the pictures already taken (and backed up to my PC) to this new card. I found that the cam locked up while the transfer to the card was underway. The progress bar in Windows Explorer stopped moving and the LED on the cradle stopped blinking. I pressed the USB Button on the cradle, but the cam/cradle/OS didn't react to it. The only way to resolve the situation was to take the cam out of the cradle, after which it couldn't switched on anymore. I had to remove and re-insert the battery to bring the cam back to life.

First I thought that it could be a problem of a defective SD-card, but this can not be the case because I could reproduce the same error even with my old 256M card. When I flip either of the cards in my old QV-R40 and connect it to the PC, the cards can easily be written to and even be formatted from within Windows - neither works when they're in the Z750. However, the cam itself accesses the cards correct - I never had lost a taken image due to save errors... and reading data from the cam to PC also works flawless!

My Sys is WinXP+SP2, latest Updates, MoBo is an ASRock K7S8XE+ that fully supports USB 2.0 (I have 6 different devices attached to USB such as Printer and Scanner and all others work like a charm). The System is running 24/7 rockstable...

Does anyone of you other guys in this forum have the same problem, or can anyone reproduce it??? I don't hope my unit is defective...

bye

mcgyvr
mcgyvr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:15 PM   #2

I think the QV-R image files,like Exilim S100 files, are not compatible with (recognized by) the Z750.ie, you cannot transfer these files to the Camera, correct the white balance etc and transfer the files back to the PC. Courtesy kenrockwell.com.Please see White Balance Correction of Recorded Files in the review of Casio Exilim Z750.
It is always advisable to wait for some more minutes before doing anything to the active task. Never remove the camera or any other device from the cradle when the LED is on. You may damage the device. Wait for some more minutes. Then try the following in the order given below.
1) Press Ctrl+Alt+delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager, and click the end task button. It should end the hung program, if not the device. 2)You may restart or even shut down the PC and detach the camera with the cradle.

Also be sure your cards are not locked (write-protected).

NB: I am not a computer expert, I write out of my own experience.
Rgds.
Pamo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:39 PM   #3

Hi Pamo27, I think there's a misunderstanding...

I didn't take any images taken on the QV-R 40 over to the Z-750.... of course I formatted the 256M-SD-card before I used it with the Z-750... as well as I did with the 1G card (using the cam internal formatting option). The images I mentioned were already taken on the Z-750... My concern is that neither of my cards inserted in the camera accepts files to be uploaded from PC to the Z-750 (It seems that it's dependent on the time the transfer takes - small files are sometimes transferred without a fault)! This error occurs no matter what type of file you transmit to the cam (using it as "removable media" as shown in Windows Explorer and transferring different file types, not only images and movie files)...

Sorry for any faults, English is not my native language, I'm just a german Aerospace Engineering student....

thnx

mcgyvr

P.S: Nobody out there who could confirm this behaviour?!?
mcgyvr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:24 AM   #4

Hi mcgyvr,

I have just copied some images and movies from my Z750 to the PC, deleted the orginal files from the Camera and copied them back to the Camera and now they all work well. I used Windows XP's cut,copy and paste method and not Casio's Software.

regards.
Pamo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:50 AM   #5

Mcgyvr. I had the exact same problem as you - when I tried to download the pics from my z750 into my computer (not using Casio software, just using cut and paste thru windows and treating the SD chip like an e.. It alway freezes up and I had to remove the battery of the camera to reset it. It seems worse with bigger files and I tried it on 4 different chips with the same problem.

Suffice it say it frustrated me to no ending (even contempleted returning the camera, but unfortunately it was too late for that).

I have Windows XP professional edition. So I tried downloading it onto my laptop that runs Windows XP home edition. It transfered (eg cut and paste) flawlessly.

So this made me think it is a windows problem.

I by fluke, decided to download the Windows SP2 update (yes, I know I am late in doing that), but viola - problem solved and it now transfers flawlessly!

Now I know that yo ualready have the SP2 update, but I cannot tell you how relieved I am that I managed to solves this little glitch (actually it is a pretty big glitch). So it seems to be a windows software problem. HOpe this sheds some insight, but I am damn happy I managed to fixit on my camera.
Ninjaboy is offline   Reply With Quote