Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:47 AM   #1

I recently purchased a Casio EX-S500 which so far I'm very pleased with. Though I have a question about the AutoFocus. When you press the shutter button halfway for the camera to AutoFocus it makes a weird grinding like "grrrrrr" noise before autofocusing and being ready for the picture. Is this normal for this model or should I be worried?

I assume it's the lens moving however I've never heard this sound on other model digital cameras I've used when they autofocus.
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:54 PM   #2

i have the same noise on mine. never though that's a problem. but now i know it's normal :G
kwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:42 PM   #3

Mine makes the same noise. My question to you or any other reader is does the sound of your Auto Focus change? Mine sometimes sounds more sickly than others and I wonder if there is something wrong. It usually goes back to sounding normal after awhile. I have only had the camera 3 weeks, so I am wondering if making slightly different noises is normal. Of course, I may just be hyper-sensitive or crazy too.

DavidT wrote:
Quote:
I recently purchased a Casio EX-S500 which so far I'm very pleased with. Though I have a question about the AutoFocus. When you press the shutter button halfway for the camera to AutoFocus it makes a weird grinding like "grrrrrr" noise before autofocusing and being ready for the picture. Is this normal for this model or should I be worried?

I assume it's the lens moving however I've never heard this sound on other model digital cameras I've used when they autofocus.
saltyorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:20 PM   #4

Replying to my own post to give more information. What I have noticed is that the sound that it makes when doing the auto-focus actually changes depending upon the picture. If I have not zoomed at all, it tends to make a louder, more troublesome sounding whirr. When I zoom in a little bit, the noise changes. When I zoom in all the way, the noise is still there but it sounds less mechanical or harsh.

If I have the zoom set at the same level and focus on different objects, the sound also changes.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:19 PM   #5

Mine does the same thing slightly different sound depending on zoom and lighting. I imagine it's a function of how much the lens needs to adjust. Shortly after buying the camera (online purchase) I went to the local Circuit City to play with their display. I noticed that it made the exact same noises as did the compact Canon SD400. I also found a review from the Austrailian version of CNET.com and the review specifically mentions the weird noise during auto focus and says it's a problem common to many ultra compact cameras.

http://www.cnet.com.au/photography/c...0055742,00.htm
DavidT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:18 PM   #6

Great minds must think alike. I found the same CNET article and did the same store visit thing today (though I went to Ritz Camera). While the model at Ritz Camera did not make the exact same sound, it most certainly made a similar sound. The sound also fluctuated when I zoomed or focused on different objects. So, I feel a little better now.

The shutter also makes more noise that I would have expected when it reopens after taking a picture or when you have the camera on and it moves from a window to a wall as you scan the room. Again, nothing major, but just a little more noise than I am used to.

I called Casio tech support and the one person I talked to said it should make no noise. Frankly, I do not think he understood what I was talking about because it obviously makes some noise. A second rep I talked to confirmed all the same things we have seen.

I am definitely glad to know that other people have heard these sounds too and that it is not a defect.

DavidT wrote:
Quote:
Mine does the same thing slightly different sound depending on zoom and lighting. I imagine it's a function of how much the lens needs to adjust. Shortly after buying the camera (online purchase) I went to the local Circuit City to play with their display. I noticed that it made the exact same noises as did the compact Canon SD400. I also found a review from the Austrailian version of CNET.com and the review specifically mentions the weird noise during auto focus and says it's a problem common to many ultra compact cameras.

http://www.cnet.com.au/photography/c...0055742,00.htm