Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:49 PM   #21

Sammynyc,

I, too, have looked at the Casio Z750 seriously. It seems like a great camera and has everything I want (except for a wide angle lens which I can live without). The "dreaded lens error" message has kept me away from purchasing it, however. It seems that the lens error message appears anywhere from the first few days to a few months use. I hope that your camera does not cause you this problem, but if it does, please let us know, and how you managed to correct it. Slipe's advice about how to prevent it could be very useful.

How does it work in low light situations? I wonder how the image quality compares with the Canon SD550 or the newly released Canon S80. Image quality is my main priority, followed by battery life. Thanks for your posts. They have been very helpful.

Justinian

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:25 AM   #22

Dear Justinian;

I was very hesitant to purchase the Casio Z750 since my friend had a very bad experience. However, all the reviews I read suggested that it was a wonderful camera and had all the features I was looking for.

So I decided to purchase it although I was scared. It really is a lot of money to invest on a camera that has had so many user complaints. However, I am very happy to report that the camera is great!! Very beautiful images!! I would even discribe it as AMAZING. I will be posting photos soon.

Just remember that if you purchase the camera make sure that you immediately (before using the camera) to go into the menu screen and find the start from record and play option and select DISABLE. Also, perform the firmware upgrade if your camera's operating system is 1.0. The firmware upgrade is a little tricky but worth it since it really does improve the camera's performance.

Good luck on whatever decision you make.

Your friend,

Sam
sammynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:55 AM   #23

Justinian wrote:
Quote:
How does it work in low light situations?
I am delighted with the Z750. It has nearly all the facilities and is capable of approaching the quality I used to get from my OM-10 SLR, in a size smaller than my Rollei 35.

I generally have my Z750 set to 'Manual' control (which is still automatically metered, by default) so that I can set as high a shutter speed as is compatible with the requirements of the shot. In low light it sometimes raises the gain (ISO sensitivity), as I'd like it to do, but I can't as yet work out its logic. I'd like it to do it more often, to ISO100.

If you choose to raise the gain for low light, it's quick & easy to do with the quick menu from the button on the left-hand side that sets various quality levels.

(BTW, Justinian, your posts appear on my machine in yellow on grey, which is nearly illegible, and yellow on white in the message editor, which is nearly invisible.)

Good luck,

Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:39 PM   #24

I think some of you guys deserve a commission from Casio for this one.
Cool ideas, nice camera tweaks, and a good forum.
BTW, nice shots Sue.
CF

cufinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:29 PM   #25

The one critism I saw on reviews of the z750 was it's optical viewfinder. What is wrong with it? I know a lot of optical viewfinders you only see maybe only 80% of the actual picture. Is that the problem or is it really difficult to see through?

That was one of the reasons I ended up with a Canon SD500 over the Casio Z750.

I know the 750 has more manual controls but Ijust wanted a point and shoot camera to pull out of my pocket and take quick shots while hiking.

I amsrill curious if the reviewers were too harshconcerning the Casio optical viewfinder.

--thanks

outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:22 AM   #26

I've never been forced to use the optical viewfinder yet because of glare on the screen as I've seen reported. However, I have used it a few times here and there just to check it out. I had no problems at all. It would seem that the 80% view of what is actually captured is the concern. At times the lcd was a bit bright in the eye I looked through the viewfinder with. I just turned the brightness down.
CF

cufinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:24 PM   #27

To get a 2.5 inch LCD and an optical viewfinder on a camera considerably smaller than a SD500 they had to make the viewfinder small. I find it works fine as a backup in bright sunlight or when I have to acquire a moving target.

My only complaint with the optical finder is that it doesn't have a spot metering target. I keep a tiny piece of black tape on the camera to put over the diode to shoot in the dark. The coverage is about par for a small camera.

I don't think it would be very good for anyone who wears glasses for their distant vision though. It doesn't have a diopter correction and you have to get your eye pretty close to see the entire view.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 5:53 AM   #28

outpost05 wrote:
Quote:
I amsrill curious if the reviewers were too harshconcerning the Casio optical viewfinder.
In my opinion, yes, they were. I use the optical viewfinder constantly, and it's essential. I don't have very good eyesight, but nevertheless it's fine for composing a shot.

I can't understand how people manage without an optical viewfinder. The Z750's big & bright monitor with BIG print menus is a huge advance on anything I've had before, but it's still illegible or indistinctevery day at some time or another in ordinary UK ambient lighting. Lighting is more extreme outside the 'temperate zone', surely? How do folks manage in the southern USA when the light's from in front? Don't you see a beautiful reflected image of you on the monitor screen?

I love my Z750! So much so that I have it my breast pocket constantly, and forget that I've left the spare SD cards behind in the vehicle, and that I only had one or two shots left, so I'm left with my son's (very good) efforts on his point&shoot Sanyo S4.

Good shooting, Alan T
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:16 PM   #29

just wonderdering has anyone taken movies and what do you think and has any one burned them to dvd and what is the process like. Thanks
FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:44 PM   #30

Hi, I am re-thinking the Z750, are you still high on this camera, have you had any lens errors and how do you get the video edited and burned. Thanks for any help. Ed
FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote