Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:22 PM   #1

Hello fellow members;

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I want to say that I have a friend that purchased a Casio Z750 and it was defective. He returned it to the store and the second one was defective also! He kept getting the dreaded "Lens Error" message and the camera refused to work.

He finally decided to get his money back and will buy a different camera. After doing research he told me of a camera called Pentax Optio S6 that will be out soon (if not out already) the MRSP is $349..not bad.

It has the great Pentax lens quality and other important features thatmy friend and I arelooking for such as MPEG 4 movie recording @ 30 fps with motion stabilization and focus assist lamp. Great!

Yeah, I know the Casio Z750 has 7.2 MB compared with the Optio S6 6 MP but so what. I really don't need 7.2 MB anyway.

For your information, there are still no reviews anywhere that I know of--just news postings.

Just like my friend I thought of the Casio Z750 but forget it! The quality control problems and defects are not worth the hassle!

Pentax has always made great digital cameras with great lenses that produce very sharp pictures. In fact, Pentax lenses are so good Casio even uses them in some of their digital cameras.

What do you think? Goodbye everyone and have a great, happy, healthy, and safe week.

Your friend,

Sam:bye:

sammynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

seriously man, this does not warrent a post in both this and what camera to buy sections.. as i mentioned there, plenty of ppl are happy with their 750s... bashing a camera based on limited experience is not in good tact.. quality control is an issue for all manufacturer's, sorry for your friends bad luck...

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:32 PM   #3

that doesnt have manual aperture and shutter property.. im still waiting on canon to make them on their ultra compact cameras..
anekin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:47 PM   #4

Had I not learned about the lens error before getting my Z750 I would probably feel the same way he does. If one is aware of the problem it can be avoided by switching the mode dial to audio before putting it in a pocket, purse or case. It is a minor hassle, but one I feel the quality of the camera compensates for. I've carried mine with me all the time for the past 5 months or so without problems.

Pentax lenses for their ultra compacts tend to be quite soft in the corners with a little vignetting at wide angle. The Casios that used the Pentax lenses were also soft in the corners.. Pentax has some quality control issues as well. Read the conclusion from Steve's S4i review. He got a camera with edge softness, which is a problem that started with the S and went through the S5 series. Many people got bad lenses and the only recourse was to return the camera for a replacement. The difference is that the problem can be avoided with the Z750 but not with Pentax. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...ios4i_pg5.html They seem to have designed a new lens for the S6 and hopefully it won't have the same quality control problems they had with the earlier versions of the series.

If I were looking for a small point and shoot with no viewfinder the S6 probably wouldn't be my first choice. They are really tiny cameras and would be convenient to carry around. I had a S4 and the size was great. But I would likely go with stabilization in the Panasonic FX9 or maybe get a slightly larger camera still and get a Fuji F10 or whatever its replacement is.

But I like manual controls and a viewfinder. There hasn't been a camera released I would trade the Z750 for. The lens is excellent and it has the best controls I've encountered. The extra sophistication would be a waste for someone who wants a point and shoot with no viewfinder though. The S6 might be a good alternative for someone who doesn't need the sophistication and wants something tiny with MPEG4. I think it is probably a better alternative than the Casio S500.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:59 AM   #5

Thanks for your comments.

Sam

Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:00 AM   #6

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
seriously man, this does not warrent a post in both this and what camera to buy sections.. as i mentioned there, plenty of ppl are happy with their 750s... bashing a camera based on limited experience is not in good tact.. quality control is an issue for all manufacturer's, sorry for your friends bad luck...

Sam

Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:00 AM   #7

anekin007 wrote:
Quote:
that doesnt have manual aperture and shutter property.. im still waiting on canon to make them on their ultra compact cameras..

Sam
Old Oct 3, 2005, 6:04 AM   #8

Dear Slipe;

I am planning to get a ultra compact digital camera and I was considering the Casio Z750. However, the problems that my friend had discouraged me. But I was thinking about your comments and perhaps I should still consider the Casio Z750 considering that you have had such great results.

I want to ask you how good are the images with the Casio Z750 in terms of sharpness, resolution, exposure, etc..? Do you have any pics that I can see that illustrates the quality of the camera? I would be very interested.

Again, thank you for your suggestions.

Sam

Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:14 AM   #9

This is my Z750 gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/artshot/z750

I've been very pleasantly surprised by the quality. The images need less post processing than the images from other camerasI've owned. In fact, I liked it so much, I created an adapter to add on other lenses and filters to increase it's usability.

It's a very intuitive camera in it's design. I find that being able to use the wide selection of controls without always having to refer to the manual first is a major bonus.

Sue
artshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 4:10 PM   #10

Thank you for the pictures. They are really beautiful. I am impressed. Perhaps I should reconsider buying the Casio Z750.

Thanks,

Sam