Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:18 PM   #1

Scanner and Camera Wizard continues to show pictures after I deleted them from my camera. I have a Casio EX-Z4U zoom camera.
How do I fix this?

I've looked all over the internet and cannot find a thing
:sad:
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:26 PM   #2
Administrator

What do you mean by "after I deleted them from my camera"?

How? Did you use the camera menus to do it, or were you trying to delete them in some other manner?

I don't own a Casio. But, as a general rule I never write to the camera using anything other than the camera's menus. This is because the operating system can cache writes to external media, depending on the settings.

So, you can corrupt media with incomplete writes if a camera is removed prior to the operating system flushing the cache.

Windows has a way to set your removable media to allow "Quick Removal", so that you don't have to use the "Safely remove hardware" icon in your system tray to do it. But, because of potential problems doing deletes or other writes over USB, I never use a PC for these types of operations.

I also format my media prior to every use with a camera's menus (not a PC). This insures that I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table on the memory card.

Others may delete their images using a PC and never have a problem, never bothering to format their media (but I don't risk it, and always reformat a card prior to every usevia a camera's menus).

As for your problem, what is actually showing on the card when you click on it and lookin the folders (it should show up under "My Computer" when it's connected as a removable drive)? The images are probably in one of the folders (or subfolders) on the drive.

Some Casio models stored a separate thumbnail with each image that may also be displayed by some software. I don't know if your model does this or not, and if Windows Camera Wizard sees them. I never use this Wizard (I make sure that it doesn't take any action when I plug in removable media like a camera). Instead, I copy the files from the folders on a camera's media to the desired folder on my PC.

I'd give more specifics on how you're deleting the files.

Perhaps some Casio owners will see your questions and know what is causing your problem.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 5:15 PM   #3

Hi Jim,

I delete my images ONLY from the camera menu.

When I plugged the camera into my computer to upload new images, OLD images came up along with the new ones.

These old images are no where to be found on my pc or the camera.

Images are always deleted from my camera.

When I do look in the My Computer Folder, the camera is used as a "E" removeable drive. The old pictures I mentioned before are not even in this drive...again no where to be found. They only come up when I plug in the usb cable and upload new images to my pc. So If I can't fix this.....I'm going to have to uncheck 25 unwanted images everytime I want to upload images, there has to be a easy way to fix this

If anyone knows how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old Oct 4, 2005, 5:32 PM   #4
Administrator

Try formatting your memory card using the camera menus versus deleting the files and see if that works.

You'll find the Format choice on the second page of your camera's Setup Menu choice, as shown in the Casio EX-Z4 Review here.

You could have a corrupted FAT (File Allocation Table) causing the problem.

I always (no exceptions), format a memory card again prior to every use with a camera's menus anyway.

Or, perhaps you're just not seeing the images for some reason. Are you sure you're looking in all of the folders (and sub folders) on the drive associated with your camera under "My Computer".

I also see that your camera has 10MB of internal memory. So, it may be using that for storage, in addition to any Secure Digital Card. Do you see more than one drive letter show up when your camera is plugged in?

I don't know how Casio handles internal memory (if it's a separate location for storing photos). If so, then the Fax and Camera Wizard may be seeing it and pulling the same photos up everytime.

You may have to remove the Secure Digital card to gain access to it via your PC or camera menus to delete photos in it, depending on how Casio designed it. Your user guide may be able to tell you.

Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:49 PM   #5

Hey!

My sister told me to re-format the camera and it worked.
Than I read your reply with format it...and ta da!

Thank you for your advice, it was helpful!
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:21 PM   #6
Administrator

Again, (as I mentioned in both of my posts in this thread), I do this every single time I get ready to use a memory card again (format the card via a camera's menus).

Of course, make sure you've got a good copy of the images that were on it first. ;-)

Formatting a card always insures that your start out with a fresh File Allocation Table (which is like a mini database that tells the operating system where the files are located), and by using your camera to do it, you insure that it's formatted exactly the way the camera expects to be.

Also, this is usuallyjust as fast or faster as deleting all of the images anyway with most models.

I never risk shooting with a memory card without doing this.

Some camera owners have never reformatted their memory cards, and don't have any problems. So, to each their own.

I'm glad you got it working!