Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 30, 2005, 7:04 AM   #11

Do you have the latest firmware? You can download it from the Casio site. It improves the oversaturation and some other things... maybe the night pics will be better with it.
artshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 1:33 PM   #12

What shutter speed and lens opening did the camera choose for this picture? It appears to be a somewhat challenging location with obvious light and dark areas. It seems like a natural for fill-flash to me. I don't know if there is any way totake effective portraits in a bright shadowy locationwithout a stron fill-flash. If the highlights were a lot brighter than the shadows, theweak flash of the Z750 at 7 feet away would probably not make a great difference in the final picture. I get the same problem in taking people under trees on a sunny day. Some locations require a powerful slave flashfor extra fill. All that having been said, it seems to me that your camera is producing darker pictures than mine would in similar locations. I know that for me to get a picture of a wall 25 feet away in a nearly-dark room (see shot of fireplaceabove) would require a heck of a lot of exposure. I don't think there is any way my Z750 could take that kind of indoor picture at such a distancewithout a slave flash or flood light. Could some Z750 cameras be coming off the assembly line with vastly different capabilities?
ArchP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:49 PM   #13

By going into the Z750's settings you can achieve pics as the one you took from your Canon. My prefered settings for Portraits are: Flash Intensity -1 or -2, and Auto ISO (instead of my usual ISO50).
Pic on left is Default Settings, and pic on right is my prefered settings:
Attached Images

Deanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:35 AM   #14

thanks for the tip Deanis! i will try that.
anekin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:25 AM   #15

With regard to anekin007, I thought afterwards about the Casio's half-press shutter stage. Could it be that you may have pushed the shutter in one quick motion rather than holding foran instant in the focus position. I understand the half-press stage is important for exposure as well as for focusing and a quick press could give the exposuresettingof a previous shot. Also it might make a diifference where the spot focus was pointed a the time the shutter button was pressed haflway - whether is was pointed to a bright spot ora dark one.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:37 AM   #16

Please reply/post of any results you received by trying these different settings, it may not work in all situations, but for close-up portraits at least, it seems to bring out clearer, more accurate fleshtones. Good luck with our Z750.
Deanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 8:12 AM   #17

im always pressing the half shutter button to check out the shutter speed the camera uses. whenever i want good pictures i take a picture in snapshot. i get the shutter number and apeture from the snapshot and in day time i increase the shutter speed and i drop the shutterspeed for night. but this problem only bothers me when i take pictures of people. most of the time i edit the picture through photoshop anyways its just a extra step by adjusting the level. im going to miss this camera. very portable and it never had a lens error which everyone seems to get. it seems like no other camera company is going to make a ultra compact with manual controls.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 9:07 AM   #18

I just checked the EXIF on your aquarium shot. The lens was all the way open and the shutter was at 1/8 second. Light that looks OK to your eyes isn't necessarily enough for a photo. 1/8 is as low as it goes in auto and it obviously needed to go even slower. Unless your Canon is a DSLR you would have had the same problem with your Canon assuming maximum aperture is f2.8. You needed fill flash for that shot. If the Canon goes slower in auto you would likely have gotten a blurred shot.

The histogram should have been shifted to the left. With better light you could have used the EV correction to increase the exposure. The left and right buttons are defaulted to EV. For that shot it would have alerted you that you needed fill flash.

Shifting to manual and increasing the shutter speed only works if there is an increase in aperture available. Otherwise the shot will be too dark. Once the lens opens all the way you can't increase the shutter speed and still get a good exposure.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 9:07 PM   #19

yeah its 1/8 but its with snapshot. i thought the auto detect would have chosen a lower shutter speed for more light exposure. and in day time out door pictures it seems to dectect lower shutter speed then it should and i have to switch to manual and take the same shot again with slightly higher speed to keep it from looking darker then it should be. for some reason when i tested the EV with the same shot one with the +2 and one with -2 and they look nearly identical. my old canon a95 would do the dark photos once in awhile but not as much as the casio. but i do experience with some of my friends camera like sony and fujithat is close to the casio. im ordering the canon a610 probably in a day or two and test out the difference since my friends are greedy about letting me barrow their camera.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:45 PM   #20

I didn't take much notice before, but it seems like whenI select snapshot mode and turn flash off inan averagely-litroomwith the lensat wide angle,the Z750 picks 1/8 sec at 2.8 for just aboutany place I point the camera,unlessI point it at the light bulb itself.Even when the room is completely dark I still don't get anymore than 1/8 of a second. I am not sure why this should be so. Obviously, these settings will not acheive the correct exposure for a dark room without flash. I can only conclude that the auto-programming assumes that 1/8 sec at wide angle is the slowestspeed to have any chance of avoiding blur from handshake. Itthus seems to beimportant to remember that the snapshot mode is not the appropriate one for most available light applicationswith flashbeing forced off. IfI switch to "best mode" and choose"candlelight portrait", for example,the lens still remains wide open at 2.8but the shutter speed becomes more variable depending on what part of the roomI point the camera. Personally, I tend to use best shot mode most of the time, typicallyopting forportrait mode or "portrait with scenery" for my pictures with people. I am beginning to realize now, though, that in pictures taken in dim light, such as in large rooms underartificial lighting, none of the bestshot modesmay beappropriatel, at least not ifwe want to have the entire area properly exposed. The best alternative may be to mount the camera on a tripod and use one ofthe manual modes. Thenwe have the option of using aperture priority, shutter priority or full manual. I just tried using aperture prioritywith f2.8, for example, and found the camera selected8/10 second - that's nearlyten times the exposure that it would have allowed in snapshot mode with the flash forced off. Even though the lighting of the room was only average, the picturecame outbright, vivid and evenly exposed.Most of the pictures that I have been taking lately are of groups of people under fluorescent lights.Using long shutter speeds like 8/10 of a second will cause tremendous blurring of people's movements. The inability of the flash to reach more than 8 feet is the worst drawback, which is why I'm hoping to hear of someone who has acheived success with a digital flash slave. I'm currently considering purchasingthe Vivitar SD200 http://www.photococan.com/itm02109.htm
The same flash appears to have been "relabeled" by other manufacturers. I assumeits "learning" mode will work to detect the flash pattern of the Z750. I know that its variable zoom and powercontrols as wellthe bounce capablitlity will helpto acheive the effects I want. Of course,even a slave flash has its limits in lighting a large room. I'm hopingthe guide number of 92 atISO 100 should give mea good 20 - 30foot range at f2.8 though.