Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:22 AM   #1

hope its ok to post it in this forum since im asking about the casio.

I was wondering if people with the casio ex-z750 post up your night pictures. i would like to see how they look like and give some description and your thoughts on the picture u took. for some reason my night pictures are coming out really dark. if ya can, can ya post it on www.flickr.com, it will analyze the picture and show the specs. Thanks!
anekin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:34 PM   #2

Where are the pics that you felt were dark? How do I locate them on this service? I don't live in a big city where I can get those big-cit y panoramas, but I could take some Z750 night picsof a small rural town.

ArchP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:50 PM   #3

On another topic, but also regarding pictures coming out dark, the little flash of the Z-750is of little benefit except withinaround 6 -8 feet. I tested the variable flash intensityand the so-called flash assist with pictures taken at wide angle in an average size roombut could not detect any significant difference in the lighting regardless of which setting is used.The far wall (about 15 feet away)had less than half the sufficient lighting and appeared equally dark in all settings. I have a slave flash which fires when theZ750 flash fires but evidently not atexactly the right time. Has anyone figured out a way to use a slave flash to increase the flash range with the Z-750? I like the Z-750, especially it's extreme miniaturization, but the weak flash and the execssive wind noise in video mode are two of theweakest selling points. With so many advanced features,it's a pity they don't installsimple external flash/microphoneplugs.Those two featureswould have been worth at least an extra hundred bucks from where I stand.

Old Oct 27, 2005, 8:40 PM   #4

Download the free OPanda IEXIF 2. You can right click on any image the EXIF hasn't been stripped from and read the shooting parameters: http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html It works fine with pictures posted on this site.

If you choose the largest lens opening (smallest number – f2.8 at wide) and set the shutter for 60 seconds of exposure it is gathering all the light it is capable of. That is full manual and not aperture or shutter priority, which are automatic modes. 60 seconds at f2.8 is better than most small cameras can do, and it will capture a pretty dark scene. If you zoom full out the best aperture you can do is f5.1.

It is a pretty black night with no moon behind my house. This is 60 seconds at f2.8:

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 9:18 PM   #5

ArchP

Try taking some flash shots in the dark. If the camera sees a lot of ambient light or there is a light source in the shot it seems to switch to fill mode.

The flash assist would probably be deactivated if it saw a bright light source as well. I prefer using Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop to flash assist so I have little experience with it. But the few times I tried it in the dark it worked very well in increasing the exposure.

Increasing the flash intensity to +2 doesn't really make the flash stronger, but it lets it use its full strength more. Spot metering also seems to help.

This was taken from a measured 15 feet from the face of the fireplace with flash assist off and the flash set at 0 with spot metering. The dark wall is another 2 feet:

This was taken from a measured 25 feet from the fireplace with the flash assist on – otherwise same parameters as before:

They need to do a firmware update that somehow allows you to get the full strength of the flash in bright settings. It seems to work fine in darker situations. Shooting in bright situations at +2 with spot metering seems to help, but it should work better at default settings.

Edit: The light in the photo is only 16 watts so it isn't contributing much to the flash. I leave it on all the time so I don't trip on things. The one on the left is off. I get the exact same results in the dark.

Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:18 AM   #6

This is very interesting and amazing. The Exif viewer is downloading as I speak, so I don't know the shutter seed in the 25 foot shot. Evidently, the shutter must have been open for awhile. I take a lot of pics inside buildings with only fluorescent lighting and people. That becomes a challenge as the pics tend to be blurred about 1/30 sec. A powerful flash would help in some of the shorter shots. I just noticed that at least one company has apparently solved the digital slave problem:

http://www.srelectronics.com/
Old Oct 28, 2005, 7:34 PM   #7

Flash sync on the Z750 is 1/60 second. I was in snapshot mode with the flash and flash assist on for the 25 foot shot, so the shutter speed is 1/60. The shot was handheld. I was just demonstrating that the flash assist does work if there aren't bright lights in the scene to get it to switch to fill flash.

Try taking some shots in the dark with the flash assist on. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

In brighter situations try spot metering to filter out some of the bright light. You can also boost the flash intensity. It is a nuisance to do that or you can burn out shots with the subject close if you forget to switch back to zero. The easiest way to do it is to make a custom mode with spot metering and flash at +2. Then just switch back to snapshot for shots of closer subjects or lower lighting.

The problem obviously isn't a weak flash. It just seems to throttle down too much in lighted areas.

The Casio isn't any different from most other cameras for available light. Something like a Fuji F10 that lets you boost the ISO or the Panasonic FX series with stabilization would have probably been a better choice for your available light photos without a tripod. You should be able to shoot at 1/15 second at wide angle if you use the optical finder and work on your technique. Holding the camera in front of you and using the LCD isn't very steady.

Old Oct 29, 2005, 8:23 AM   #8

well i guess i made a decision.. most likely im going back to canon. im not very pleased with this camera. i love it cause the size and manual settings. its the only reason why i bought because casio is the only company that makes ultra compact cameras with manual control settings. so i picked out the z750 since its the flagship of the ultracompact of casio. im deciding if im going back to a regular compact since it seems like canon will not come out with manual control for their ultracompact line up because i been waiting over a year. i ll probably end up getting a canon a610 or a620. heres some shots from my z750. im not a fan of using flash. i mostly use a tripod and manual settings when its dark.

some of my issues with flash is the skin tones. nothing adjusted just resized

z750

canon a95 before i sold it and bought the z750.

heres one in a nice place that is well lite with no flash. it made me, im not that dark. this is the only picture i can find that i havent altered. other times i seen dark pictures is when its really sunny outside and if i am taking a picture under a shade from a small tree i am as dark as this or sometimes darker.

Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:33 AM   #9

What time of the day was this last photo taken? It appears to be the inside of a dark enclosed area, like a cave. I like the look of fill-flash and use it almost all the time if the subject is within 8-10 feet and would definitely use it in a case like this. In order for me to get a picture to come outthat dark with my Z-750, the scene would have to look almost as dark to my eyesas the photo looks here, i.e.it would have to betekenprobably a half hour or more after sunset or taken of the interior of a very non-reflective enclosure away from the sky.The shotwould definitely require the use of a support or tripod to prevent blur, and even then the subject would probably have to be still not to be blurred.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 3:21 PM   #10

the last picture was taken in a aquarium.there isplenty of light where a tripod wasnt needed. i was able to take 20 pictures in that area and only 2 came out slightly blurry and the rest were cystal clear. i was about 5-7 feet away. heres a modifed version of the last picture. only adjustment made was the the level input up to 2.2 from the orginal 1.00 setting on photoshop. this is how its suppose to look like when i was there. when i go take pictures i usually take 200-300 shots so it gets annoying adjusting every picture. oh yeah my firmware has already been updated already.