Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:24 AM   #1

I am trying to compare these two models. As far as I can tell the only differences are the larger LCD of the 750 and Li-Ion battery. The lens appears to be the same and I'm hoping the results would be pretty much the same. I like the 120 because of the AA batteries.
Sigmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:06 PM   #2

Have you tried http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fu...omparison.home

cufinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:13 PM   #3

I am also interested in both the EX Z750 and the EX Z120. On the surface, they appear very similar... but after a little research, I can see they have several important differences. The battery in the Z750 is proprietary and "maybe" last longer. I would prefer to have AA. The LCD is larger on the Z750 and marginally nicer. If these were the only two differences, I would opt for the Z120. For my money, the Z750 has three important enhancements: 1) MPEG-4 compliant... this is a fancy way of saying the video files take up about 1/3 of the space vs the Z120. If you are buying the camera for video capabilities too... this is very important. 2) 8X Digital Zoom vs 4X Digital Zoom in the Z120. 3) Smaller/Thinner. Slightly smaller and over 25% thinner (.29").

The lenses are actually different too even though the standard specs at first glance look the same. There are more groups of lenses... I suspect this was to enable the thinner design or could be for higher quality... who knows?

I suspect that the cradle that comes with the Z750 will make life easier.

For a street price difference of about $90, the Z750 appears to be the better value.
ronmauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:32 PM   #4

I share your opinion about the 750 being the better value although maybe I'm a bit biased since I already own one.

I wanted very good movie quality, small metal p&s with good quality pictures, and a long lasting battery; all achievable with the 750. I explored DC's for about six months before making the purchase and am very happy with it.

I would say that the digital zooms are not very important and it's the optical zooms that are the most important. A lot of my friends that are SLR fans are impressed with the amount of adjustability in the newer Exilim line of p&s DC's.

I still have a lot to learn however, the manual is 250 pages!

They Casio line-up are all quite good depending on what is important to you. I think the 750 looks cleaner than the 120 because of no power/video out cover. Some travellers do not like packing the cradle around nor running the battery down and not being able to throw in a couple of AA's to get by for the day. I would say that these people need to purchase another battery, plan a bit better, and buy the plug-in charger. I have yet to run my battery down before filling two 512MB SD cards, it's amazing how long the thing lasts.

I'm also usually done taking the picture while friends with other DC's are still powering up. :G

Happy hunting,
CF
cufinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:05 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply.

I like almost all the features of the Z750 except the battery. In the past, I have had a lot of problems with proprietary batteries... it is just simpler to buy AA.

I am looking at a lot of different cameras, but will likely buy the Z750. It seems to be the best value for the money.

Ron
ronmauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:27 AM   #6

Are there any differences between the EX-Z750 and the EX-Z120 considering noise?

What about contrast? Is the Z120's better (more natural) out-of-the-box? Are there problems regarding "lens error" on the Z120 as well?
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 4:25 PM   #7

I bought a z750, and I was very pleased with it. However, before long I had a number of problems with it including the lens error, plus another problem when the multi point focusing failed repeatedly, and the computer would not focus at all. Thankfully Jessops in the UK refunded me, even though I was abroad at the time and had overstepped their no lemon policy limit of 30 days. Well done Jessops. In any case, I contacted Casio a couple of times and they told me that there was know 'known' issue of problems with the z750, but also rather carefully they did say that they were not able to tell me any more, in such¬* a way that it seemed that there was more they wish they could have told. I have also asked whether the 'new' model z750 gun metal has any internal refinements, but they said no, but I wonder whether this was a no that really meant yes.¬*Anyway I will be buying a z120, again from Jessops sometime, if they can match a price, so that I can try again. The z750 and z120 seem to be the same except for the battery and the cradle, and some other fine subtle differences. The z120 is also a little bigger because it doesn't have the proprietary battery.¬*As far as I am concerned however, the z120 will be better because:1) AA batteries mean you can buy them whilst travelling, and can leave the charging unit at home (much less bulk).2) It is second generation, and so hopefully the lens error and focusing has been fixed. Here has been enough of a bruhaha on line for them to have taken notice.¬*
geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:27 PM   #8

shutterbuggy wrote:
Quote:
Are there any differences between the EX-Z750 and the EX-Z120 considering noise?

What about contrast? Is the Z120's better (more natural) out-of-the-box? Are there problems regarding "lens error" on the Z120 as well?
The Z120 has more "natural" contrast, sharpening and colors. The appearance is similar to "Canon Colors"; enhanced but not over the top. The Z750 had a firmware upgrade to "correct" what most people agreed was ludacris saturation and sharpening, however the Z750 still has default colors and sharpening that some people might consider still too high; however you can adjust this.

There have been several reports that the Z120 is less noisy at ISO 200 and 400 than the Z750. How this is being accomplished I don't know, could be just higher software noise reduction or it could actually be overall improvement in the system noise. I'd have to see an exact side by side with a Z750 that has the new firmware to say for sure that there is an improvement.

There are no reports of lens error on the Z120 yet, but the Z750 is a popular camera so there may be a lot more of them out there.

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:29 AM   #9

My main concern here is the video quality. IF the z120 records at avi motion jpeg at 28fps and 10mbps, it has better quality than mpeg4 which z750 uses(at 4mbps)? am i correct on this one?

can i also notice the differences between 28fps and 30fps?

thanks . i would really love to buy z120, but if you can really notice the differences between 28fps and 30fps, then i would buy z750. and also, if someone could prove to me that mpeg4 is better than the motion jpeg that the z120 uses, then i'd go for z750.
Nikkobengco is offline   Reply With Quote