Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 22, 2005, 4:04 PM   #1

I emailed Casio Support regarding some recent posts about stuck pixels, someone's posted procedures for detecting potential problems, and other technical questions about the EX-Z750. I am happy to share the response with you.

My email to Casio Support;
  1. I have an EX-Z750 and would like to know the write speed of the camera so I can match it with an appropriate media card.[/*]
  2. I found a "stuck" pixel, but after a few shots it went away. Will it lead to greater errors with the CCD sensor in the future? Is this acceptable or within Casio's QC standards and tolerances? [/*]
  3. I also have the reddish light on the LCD (LCD color bleeding) when zooming in and out. It's not bright, to me anyway, but a red halo was indicated in a chat group as a defect. Now that this test seems to indicate my LCD is possibly defective, what will happen next with the LCD performance? Will it start to deteriorate or simply stop working all together? Is this acceptable or within Casio's QC standards and tolerances?[/*]
  4. Do you have support staff posting to chat groups and is their information trusted?[/*]
Casio Support response;
  1. The information about the write speed is unavailable. Most any SD card up to 1gb can be used. The high-speed cards do also work.
    [/*]
  2. The stuck pixel is not indicative that any larger issue will occur. The pixel yield, the percentage of pixels lit at any given time 99.99%. So one pixel being out is within an acceptable tolerance.[/*]
  3. As I have heard of neither of these issues you state as having been reported, I cannot answer your questions. Our repair area reports no such "defect".Does the observed behavior of your camera get recorded onto the images? Casio always stands behind its products and when we locate a "defect" and confirm such, we do everything necessary to resolve it.
    [/*]
  4. As no person posting to chat groups is affiliated with Casio, they are not authorized to post responses or any other information on Casio's behalf.[/*]

Thank you,
Casio Technical Support

cufinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:34 AM   #2

A good guess of the write/read speed will be around 2.3MB/s-2.5MB/s. This is the speedZ750 downloaded the pictures and uploaded files to/from the computer via the cradle (unless the cradle is limiting the transfer speed.).... So the Z750 reader speed is about 16x ??? :?ha ha ha
Brainstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:08 AM   #3

The internal write speed seems to be in excess of 30X. I use a 1 Gig Sandisk Ultra card in mine and ran some tests comparing it with the standard speed 256 Mb Sandisk card from my Palm Tungsten.

I put the camera in continuous mode and held the shutter down for 10 best quality 7Mp shots – about 4Mb each. I ran each test several times and swapped the cards back and forth so that I could be sure internal heating wasn't affecting the tests. The Ultra took 18 seconds for the test and the standard card 26 seconds. Since the first shot involved only the very short shutter lag and the second shot is buffered, it came out to almost a second per shot of cycle time between the two cards. It appears that the camera uses the normal cycle times for continuous. A second a shot takes the camera from pretty quick for cycle times to low average by current standards.

The Sandisk standard card was rated about 30X – I presume that is read speed. The Ultra is 66X read and 60X write. I don't know whether an even faster card would give better cycle times than the Ultra. Maybe someone with a faster card could post some numbers.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 7:06 PM   #4

I tried using your method,taking 20 continuous shots at best quality, took about 32sec. So if each file is about 4MB, total will be 80MB in 32sec. The write speed will be about (80/32)= 2.5MB/sec.... which is about 16x......My SD Cardis 150x(read), 100x(write)2GB (Tawin A-Data).

Base on your test, your Ultra clock about (40/18 )=2.2MB/sec, at about 15x .... near to 16x...

The normal Sandisk is (40/26)=1.5MB/sec, at about 10x.... Don't think that the normal Sandisk card is 30x... more like 10x.....

So the Z750 camera write speed seems to be at 16x max??? :?
Brainstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 8:53 AM   #5

IMHO one should consider the image processing time too (conversion from inner RAW to JPEG)- maybe it is the factor that must be substracted from image-to-image time when measuring SD card write speed :?

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:08 PM   #6

When I bought the Sandisk card it was advertised as 30X – I presume that is the read speed, but the write speed would be at least 25X with a 30X read. Then again you can't always believe what you read from online peddlers.

I would think the processing would be pretty fast, but it would still add to the total time as Reps suggests.

Looking through my Casio images the file sizes seem to vary between 3.5 and 4.7Mb. Different subjects compress differently and it isn't possible to get an exact comparison unless you shoot the same scene. So if I wanted to know how different cards compare I would have to specify shooting a plain white piece of paper with no shadows or something similar. I did shoot the same scene for my comparisons, but that doesn't do me much good comparing the speed with others. A white sheet comes out to about 3.1 Mb - I just tried it. It took 14 seconds for 10 shots, but there was a little shadow from the overhead lights.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote