Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:43 AM   #1

Hello, i want oto buy one of these cameras, Casio z500, Casio S500 or Canon Ixus 50 . I like a lot the lcd, design and durability that Z500 has, i like a lot the S500`s design but i have heard that Canon is the best.The quality of the photos of z500 and S500 is good?
I wil yse the camera to take photos when i travel, and when i go out with my friends,no proffesional
I would like you to reccomend me one of these three, and if you can, tell me why.

Thank you very much and sorry for my english
Luissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:33 PM   #2

Both the casio s500 and the Canon Ixus 55(the model above the Ixus 50) are reviewed in the review section of this site. Sample photos are also provided. The Ixus 55 review shows both cameras side by side.

Personally, I went for the Ixus 55 due to better picture quality, slightly smaller, and I just don't like the look of the Casio s500.
bluejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:49 AM   #3

Get the Canon if you want a 5-megapixel camera, they seem better quality than the Exilim's, however for a bit more cash, go for the 7-megapixel Exilim EX-Z750.
Deanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:28 PM   #4

I think if its not for professional use, you won't tell much of a difference between the two model as both produce good photos. Canon photo are better for train eyes... but Casio S500 and Z750 have very good Mpeg4 quality video (no worries of big video files).... Choose what best fit you. :lol:
Brainstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:58 PM   #5

Bye the way the Ixus 55 is called the canon SD450 in North America and this site.
bluejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:55 AM   #6

I have had a Casio P600 for 9 months as my first digital camera and had a lot of fun with it experimenting with the many settingsI bought the EX-S500 after much research as a "pocket" point and shoot (for my wife as an excuse!). Again, I have had a lot of fun with it, particularly with the Movie capability. The high quality MPEG4 movie, build quality, P600 interface familiarity and slimness were differentiating features from the Ixus 50. I was worried about the Ixus 50 LCD breaking after reading many user reviews of the earlier Ixus 40 and 30. When you press your figure lightly on the LCD, you can see ripples on the display - both Caiso models seem to have more protection.

Picture quality is slightly inferior to my P600 (sharpness) and probably not quite as good as the Ixus (my elder son has the Ixus 50 and the Olympus 7070 ( 8 mp) and says the two are similar in picture quality). I don't see any difference between the P600 and S500 with 6 x 4 prints. Exposure accuracy and colour are great on both and there are plenty of adjustments which are "remembered" when the power is turned off.

I use Pinnacle Studio for embellishing the video clips and found it very good, once the clips have been converted from MPEG4 (if anyone is interested I can give them the links for free codecs).

In summary, I would buy the EX-S500 again, but probably the IXUS 50 gives slightly better picture quality. Both are great small point and shoot cameras. There are also similar slim models from Sony, Nikon, Fuji and Samsung, and you'll probably be pleased with any of them as long as you are realistic in your expectations.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote