Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:14 PM   #1

Currently Iownthe Casio EX-S500, and I've just heard news that it's tobe replaced by the EX-S600 (which will be out in the UK in January 2006)

With this in mind, I was thinking of selling my S500 and go cop the S600..... But my question to you guys is in your opinion (and please back it up)is it really worth it?

Here is a link about the new S600

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_4913.html

Basically according to the article, it is identical to the S500 in everyway except the fact that it has

- 6MP (as opposed to 5MP)

- Permanent Anti Shake feature in Movie Mode

- Bright new digital interface TFT LCD 2.2 inch screen which is twice as bright as other models

- Improved battery life (300 shots per recharge)

- Extra "Best Shot" mode called "Revive Mode"

Here are a few questions I have

1. Do you think it is worth selling my S500 (possibly on eBay) for the S600?

2. How much money (in pound sterling) do you think I could fetch for a S500 in mint (as new)

3. If I do sell, are there any other current or futurecameras; I should be looking out for?Like my S500 I like my cameras very small/sexy/lots of feature/excellent picture quality/5MP and aboveand must have an Mpeg 4HQ Movie Mode

Thanks Guys

untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:03 AM   #2

I have the S500 and love the photo and video quality, I ordered the S600 to try and did not like it. Other than the S600 being 6mp they have added image stabilizer to the movie mode which causes the camera to constantly compensate for your movement which makes the image look blurry and choppy not smooth like the S500 with out the anti shake . I think the digital technology for this type of video is not yet perfected. This is from the Casio site:
[align=center]
Can Anti Shake be used during movie recording?
[img]file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cdsacco%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmso html1%5C02%5Cclip_image002.gif[/img]
A23.
[align=center] Yes. You can turn on Anti Shake by using the [MENU] button to select [Anti Shake] - [Auto], or you can use the [BS] button to select [Anti Shake]. Either of these operations will turn on the movie stabilizer feature. Note, however, that turning on movie stabilizer may cause a movie image appear to have been zoomed. Also, certain recording conditions may make it impossible for movie stabilizer to produce the desired effect.
[/align] [align=center][/align]
[/align] The S500 is all you need if you don't need higher than 5mp.
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:20 PM   #3

Interesting stuff.

I've been waiting for the S600 to become available in the UK.

I've got myself a Canon Pixma iP4200 printer on order and was looking to order the S600 so I could produce some nice 6x4" prints.

What's the quality like with the 5mp S500? Do I really need the 6mp S600?

Thanks

eldudereno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:51 AM   #4

eldudereno wrote:
Quote:
Interesting stuff.

I've been waiting for the S600 to become available in the UK.

I've got myself a Canon Pixma iP4200 printer on order and was looking to order the S600 so I could produce some nice 6x4" prints.

What's the quality like with the 5mp S500? Do I really need the 6mp S600?

Thanks
Quote:
If you are interested in producing nice 4x6 prints like you mentioned, then the S500 is all you need. Even if you want to go up to 8x10, image quality is still very good. Savethe difference between the two cameras and put it towards a good 1gig card. Here's an interesting article to read regarding the Megapixel Myth.It's from Professional Photographer Ken Rockwell's web site. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
Quote:
When taking pictures, try to do all your work with the camera. In otherwords, compose your pictures in the monitor the way you want them so as to avoid extensive cropping, as an example. You are going to notice loss of detail when you start cropping your images. And don't work with jpeg files on your computer. Everytime you make a change to a file and save it, you loose information. If you work with Photoshop, for example, safe your work to a Photoshop file or TIFF file...do all your editing, and when you are satisfied with your work, then save it back to a jpeg file...if, of course, a jpeg file is what you want.
Quote:
Happy shooting

jpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:54 PM   #5

Quote:
JPEG wrote:
Quote:
When taking pictures, try to do all your work with the camera. In otherwords, compose your pictures in the monitor the way you want them so as to avoid extensive cropping, as an example. You are going to notice loss of detail when you start cropping your images. And don't work with jpeg files on your computer. Everytime you make a change to a file and save it, you loose information. If you work with Photoshop, for example, safe your work to a Photoshop file or TIFF file...do all your editing, and when you are satisfied with your work, then save it back to a jpeg file...if, of course, a jpeg file is what you want.
I used to use Paintshop Pro with the standard JPEG files and would also lose the original information after editing. Now I use the editing features of Photoshop Album to make corrections - this program automatically keeps the original file, but shows the metadata with the edited version.

The tagging and collection functions are excellent. Photoshop Album on my PC is quite fast with a few thousand digital pictures plus another 2000 scanned film images, and it allows back-up to multiple DVDs.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote