Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:11 PM   #1

:idea: exilim-z-120 Has any feeback developed yet? My Canon powershot conked out and I'm looking at picking up a new camera. Was looking at the z750 until I heard about this one (z-120) that is available now.

Thanks
spud50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:44 PM   #2

I've had mine for a week now, what would you like to know? I do like it.
-Bryan

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 2:25 AM   #3

How does it compare with the z750? Is the flash adequate?
spud50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4

spud50 wrote:
Quote:
How does it compare with the z750? Is the flash adequate?
Well, there is a lot to compare. Overall, it has most of the feature set of the Z750, and a few extra things. Here are some of the main differences, but not having a Z750 some Z750 owners are going to have to jump in and help. Not all of the Z120 specs are shown on the Casio site. The menus look allmost identical to the Z750.

Comparison to Z750

* ABout 0.2" thicker.
* About 0.3 Oz heavier W/O batteries, I don't know what the weight difference is with the batteries since I don't know how much the battery for the Z750 weighs.
* Uses AA batteries
* As far as I can tell the picture quality is the same, but I would have to see a side by side comparison with the same subjects. The default tone from the Z120 is a lot more neutral and less overshapened than the Z750; I think that Casio learned from the Z750 and even has released a new firmware for the Z750 to tone down the default settings.
* The macro mode actually the same for both cameras, 10cm. Some site quotes a larger macro distance for the Z120, but the real number is 10cm at wide, just like the Z750
* The Z120 has higher ISO modes, 800 and 1600 (they call this "anti shake") that the Z750 does not have. It is just my impression, but I think that the ISO 200 and 400 modes are cleaner on the Z120, but I'd have to see a side by side (Steve?)
* Smaller screen with fewer pixels vertically. This isn't necessarily as bad as it sounds since the difference is only in the # of vertical pixels; they both have 240 across but the Z750 screen is larger. So in comparing the two screens, the Z750 had the dot spread out more horizontally, and the same dot pitch (but larger) vertically. I'm hoping that the smaller screen and the thicker case mean no "cracked screens" for the Z120, but it is too soon to tell. Maybe the smaller screen draws less power, I don't know.
* The Z120 uses MJPEG recording, and the Z750 uses MPEG4. The MPEG 4 is a lot smaller (about 1/2 size) but may be harder to edit, if you ever do that.
* The Z120 has shutter and aperture priority modes on the dial, I don't think that the Z750 has that.
* Note that the "battery life" quoted for the Z120 on the casio site is for alkaline batteries, the camera lasts a lot longer and may even have better life than the Z750 on NiMH which is what you should use. It is nice that you could use alkaline in a pinch though.
* I'm not sure about some of the other minor differences, I'd have to try a Z750 again to tell. For example, does the Z750 have the exposure preview in manual mode on the screen?
* The flash cycle time seems to be improved on the Z120.; maybe just because it can use NiMH battereies which can provide more current. The flash recharges in 4 seconds or less on my camera.
* I can't comment on focus speed, low light focus, flash range because I can't do a side by side. It is my impression that these things are as good and maybe even better than the Z750. It will focus fine at the one footcandle level.
* It has a couple goofy best shot modes that I don't think that the Z750 has; someone with a Z750 has to help.
* no lens error reports yet, but too soon to tell, there are a lot more Z750s out there.

For the money, if you need AA batteries or just want to pay less and don't mind the differences like carrying around 0.2 inches more and maybe a half ounce more, it is something to consider..

I'd be happy to answer any "does the Z120 have so and so" questions.
-Bryan

Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:34 AM   #5

Also, I might add that even though the Casio site says that the longest exposure for the Z120 is 1/8 second, it is actually able to do 60 seconds and has long exposure noise reduction. The 1/8 second limit is only in fully automatic exposure mode. You can dial in any expoure you want in manual mode, and you can get automaticly selected longer exposures (like a second) in aperture mode.

Also, the Z120 does not use or require a cradle for charging. I would put this down in the positive category myself for traveling, but not everyone will agree.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 9:13 AM   #6

I have some questions if you will indulge me:

Does this camera offer full manual control?

Does it have an AF assist lamp?

Thanks for your help.
donka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 9:42 AM   #7

donka wrote:
Quote:
I have some questions if you will indulge me:

Does this camera offer full manual control?

Does it have an AF assist lamp?

Thanks for your help.
Manual control: yes. You may set the aperture (there are only two apertures on the Z120 and Z750) speed and ISO. The camera gives an "out of range" exposure warning, as well as a real-time preview of the scene when you half press. There is also a real time histogram that you can turn on to help you set the exposure. There is also manual focus, and shutter priority and aperture priority modes.

Focus assist: no. Nore does it need one in my opinion. The camera will focus on dark scenes just fine, but yeah, it will not focus in "total darkness" if that is something that you need to do all the time. The camera starts to have trouble focusing at light levels that give an exposure of about 1-2 seconds at ISO 100 F2.8.; that's pretty dark. The focus in low light without the assist lamp is actually better than my Nikon 5900 that has an assist lamp. Most cameras with assist lamps are limited to a range of a few feet anyway unless it has a laser that can project the pattern for a long distance.

Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:54 PM   #8

I have the same problem as most of you. I was contemplating buying a casio z750 util i cam across casio z120. i have a minolta dimage z2 and i love it but it gets really bulky to carry and i wanted something easier to carry. i have only a couple of questions on z120 if anyone can help it would be great.

1. I know someone wrote that z120 will allow upto 60 sec exposure but the website doesn't claim that. does somone having a z120 tell us it is true.

2. what are the cons of z120 camera compared to that of z750 that one should be aware of.

testcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 3:29 PM   #9

testcamera wrote:
Quote:
I have the same problem as most of you. I was contemplating buying a casio z750 util i cam across casio z120. i have a minolta dimage z2 and i love it but it gets really bulky to carry and i wanted something easier to carry. i have only a couple of questions on z120 if anyone can help it would be great.

1. I know someone wrote that z120 will allow upto 60 sec exposure but the website doesn't claim that. does somone having a z120 tell us it is true.

2. what are the cons of z120 camera compared to that of z750 that one should be aware of.

1) There is a 60 second ISO 100 sample in this gallery that I took. http://dcexp.com/gallery/Optio60-Comparisons
I can take another if you like.

The exposure is limited to 1/8 second only in fully auto mode. I think that the Z750 is the same way? In shutter or aperture or full manual modes you can go longer up to 60 seconds. For real long exposures the auto exposure system isn't going to work anyway.

2) A lot of the differences are subjective. Pro or con? Here are the main differences. I can't tell you if these are "pro" or "con" for you, it depends on the person.

* It is 0.2" thicker. It is 0.3 oz heavier (depends on how much the AA batteries you use weigh). This is a minor "con" for me but it depends on you. Pro or con or who cares? If you have to have the smallest camera at any price then it is a "con".

* The screen is smaller. Mostly "con" I guess except that it probably draws less current and might be less likely to "crack", but it seems like a "con".

* The camera is less expensive. The batteries are way less expensive. "Pro" unless you don't care about price.

* It uses AA batteries. You can use alkalines in a pinch. The batteries are cheaper, but heavier? Is that a pro or a con for you? Maybe you are one of these people that loves AA. Maybe you just hate even touching an AA battery. For me this is a pro and why I bought this camera instead of the Z750.

* It uses MJPEG movies that take more space. This is mostly a "con" except that a lot of entry level software will not edit MJPEG4 and I'm not sure if you can edit it without re-rendering, if you care. You may have trouble playing MPEG4 on a random machine, if you care. I think that MJPEG is mostly a "con" depending on how much you care about this.

* You don't get or need a cradle. You don't have to put the camera in the cradle to charge the batteries. You have to plug in a cord to use the USB or play on TV. People might think the lack of a cradle is a pro or a con. For me no cradle is a major "pro" because I don't want to carry the cradle around on trips or have the camera tied up while charging, and because I always use a card reader anyway. Some people might not mind being tied to the cradle as a trade off for being able to just drop the camera in and have it charge and transfer their pictures.

* The default colors and sharpening are more neutral than the Z750. Pro or con? Maybe you like the original Z750 colors.

* There is no AF illuminator on theZ120. The Z120 focuses fine in really low light like 2 seconds at ISO 100, so I'm not sure that it is a "con" but it might be if you need to take a lot of pictures in total darkness and don't want to use manual focus or infinity focus. I have not missed it yet though, but you might.

Old Nov 15, 2005, 4:14 PM   #10

Hello

Thanks for your detalied reply. I definetly think that having AA batteries is a pro for the reasons you outlined. I was not aware of the video recording differences, although I do use my digi cam footages in some of my home video that was not a key factor. A couple of extra grams for weight is not an issue. Price definetly was that is why I looked at z120.

I was wondering if you knew any other sites that showed the shutter speed exposures, the link that you showed me just had one photo of the 60 second exposure and I wanted to look around and see if I could find any other ones for comparison bases.

Thanks for your help again.
testcamera is offline   Reply With Quote