Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:40 PM   #1

I ecently bought a Casio ex-z120 and so far i havent encountered any problems and it works well to meet my expectations but i have this kind of annoying problem with the auto focus on video recording. I can hear the auto focus mechanism's whirring sound recorded to the video's audio track. I think it has something to do with the proximity of the mic to the lens.

Is this normal? Other people experiencing this please confirm... thanks! Non-z120 user's comments are also welcome!
Carlo T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:52 AM   #2

Quote:

Is this normal? Other people experiencing this please confirm... thanks! Non-z120 user's comments are also welcome!
Yes, that is the way the Z120 is. You can use the "pan" focus mode to avoid the noise. This is a problem on all compact cameras that allow movies because the microphone is so close to the lens so you can hear the focus motor on the movie. The cameras are so small there isn't much you can do about that. The way that some other manufactures avoid the noise is to not allow you to focus at all while taking a movie. Casio gives you the choice of fixed focus like the others, or auto focus but with noise; I think that is better becuase you can decide what you want to do. It is the same issue with using the mechanical zoom; most manufactures lock the zoom out when taking a move because you would be able to hear the noise. One lets you zoom but only if the sound recording is turned off. A few allow zoom but then they get complaints about the noise. If they allow focus and zoom, then they get complaints about the noise, so they can't win.

-Byran

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote