Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:49 AM   #1

Just bought the Z-120 and can't get my Windows XP laptop to recognize the camera when connected with USB cable. Also tried the latest Photoloader software update, adding the USB driver (which I shouldn't have to do with XP).

Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?
tobeinmayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2005, 1:44 PM   #2

It works fine, there must be something wrong with your setup. No dirver is needed with a properly working XP setup. Do not install any drivers.

Make sure that in the camera setup menu that "USB" is set to "mass storage"

The camera uses USB 2.0. If you laptop does not have USB 2.0 it might still work, but there could be trouble with your laptop's USB particular implementation.

If you still can't get it to work, get a card reader, they are cheap and you can get a PCMCIA one that will fit in your laptop slots, and it will be a lot faster plus not use that camera batteries.

-Bryan

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 7:17 PM   #3

Hello. I bought my Z-120 about a week ago, and had exactly the same problem. Windows XP did not see it. I did all that the instruction booklet said. No drivers loaded, USB 2, high speed port, and setting in the camera "USB mass storage".After switching the camera ON and waiting for about 2-3 minutes, the LCD wrote "check connections". I checked all cables, another USB port, no result. I eventually "made" windows XP to see it, after switching ON and OFF the camera a few times, all connected. I tried a couple of times again, the same.Only with repeated restart of the camera windows could see it. I took it backto the shop, the technitian tried it, and after I handed over all the package complete, the next day game me another camera, (I checked the part number to make sure) and the problem was solved. Windows sees it immediately. If you take the memory off and release the photos from the optional memory that you can buy,there is no problem. But I prefer to release from inside the camera. Anyway I wanted the camera to work 100%. In Greece it costs 300 Euros! I also bought the 2500mAps 15 minutes rechargable NiMH Sanyo batteries. They are perfect. And I also bought a !Gb memory, the 66x type. I hope my opinion helps. Kostas
kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 8:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the thorough reply. I had exactly the same scenario with my Z120, which I just returned to the store. It should work 100% out of the box. I'm going to get another one from a different shop and hope that works! Otherwise, I really liked the camera.

Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:45 PM   #5

can you guys who have this camera give a quick review and post some pictures up that you have taken with it ? thank you.
KIMBERLY1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:07 AM   #6

Try plugging and unplugging the camera from the computer a few times with the camera turned on. Wait quite a while for Windows to detect it; I had to wait about 2 minutes the first time.Give it enough time, don't just plug in and unplug again when it seems like nothing happened. Once it is detected it will work fine with no delay on subsequent ocassions.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:06 AM   #7

I did unplug several times and tried to just let it sit. I got the aforementioned 'Check Connections' message and then it powered off. I'm picking up a new camera tonight and will post my experiences with it later.

Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:17 AM   #8

KIMBERLY1X wrote:
Quote:
can you guys who have this camera give a quick review and post some pictures up that you have taken with it ? thank you.
Kim, there are reviews and links to pictures on the other threads here, look around.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:07 AM   #9
DP

I came to this forum to see if I was nuts or not. I have the same type of problem. When the camera is connected XP does not recognize it. since I have a USB hub I plug it into a different port. Repower the camera and XP finds it. Usually finds it on second or third try. Thought my PC might be messed up, so I brought the camera to work.

Same thing works on a port one time, then I must use a different port. After using all ports, it seems that I need to reboot to get XP to find the camera on a USB port. But then only one time per port

. If anyone finds the solution to whats going on here please let me know .
DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:04 PM   #10

From Casio support site... Older cameras but wonder if this is the same issue with Z120?

Ihaven't tried this yet-- if anyone does please postresult.

Confirmed Items for QV Software for Windows XP:

Before you can use the QV-TWAIN module on Windows XP, you must first install the QV-LINK application and perform at least one serial transfer operation to "trigger" the module. If you do not have a copy of the QV-LINK application, perform the following steps to trigger the module.

1.Select [Control Panel][Printers and Other Hardware][Scanners and Cameras].
2.Open [Add an imaging device], and start up the [Scanner and Camera Installation Wizard].
3.Use the Wizard to select and install [Kodak DC200 Digital Camera], under [My Computer].
4.Connect your QV digital camera to your computer with the cable.
5.In [My Computer], double-click [Kodak DC200 Digital Camera].
6.On the dialog box that appears, select [Get pictures from camera]. Since the camera model does not match the driver's camera model, the message [The computer cannot detect the scanner or camera] will appear.
7.Click [OK].
Though it results in an error, the above procedure triggers the QV-TWAIN module.Now you can use the [File] - [Import] command of Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photoshop, PhotoDeluxe or some other graphics program to select QV-TWAIN Module [CASIO Digital Camera v3.1] and import images.

Applicable Models: QV-10, QV-10A, QV-11, QV-30, QV-70, QV-100, QV-200, QV-300, QV-700, QV-770, QV-5500SX, QV-7000SX