Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Dec 15, 2005, 4:28 PM   #1

I have done lots of research/shopping andconcluded that the z750 is exactly what I am looking for...I love it

but... I am too scared of the lens error issue since I am travelling out of country formore than1 year, immediately afterI purchase camera...and also what to do after 1 year is up?

can anyone suggest a decent alternativeto the z750? maybe the z120 is the next best thing? I figure fellow casio Z750 enthusists would know best...

important:

excellent picture quality,pocketability - (A620 too big), manual controls, decent video, ok speed, decent low-noise performace, 8x10 prints

not important - indoor/flash..

advice is appreciated

Paulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:11 PM   #2

I would wait for some good reviews on the Z120. If it has the same lens as the Z750 the image quality should be excellent. You go down in size and resolution on the LCD and it is slightly bulkier and heavier with AA batteries. But it looks to have similar capabilities and is cheaper.

The lens error is caused by the gearing that comes with the lens, which Casio doesn't manufacture. A Casio rep said they were working with the lens manufacturer to beef up the gearing in the lens. If it is the same lens and there isn't any lens error problem, then the newer Z750 probably don't have the problem either. Incidents of lens errors seem to be down a little. If it is the same lens and if they have improved he gearing, then a new gun metal Z750 would probably have the same lens as the Z120. I don't see the gun metal version for sale, but it should be available soon. Not that it would be any different from a new silver one, but you would know it is of recent manufacture.

I've had my Z750 for the better part of the year with no problems, but I carry it with the mode dial in audio. That obviates lens errors for the most part, but it is a minor hassle. It is such a habit now I don't even notice, but it does take an extra second to get a picture at startup. I think it is an excellent camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:42 PM   #3

Slide, thanks for great advice...

I'll see if I can find out if the z120 uses the same lens as the z750..does anybody already know this info?

Iwould be very careful with the Z750, do all of the precautions that have been listedand probably avoid causing the lens to open in a case or in my pocket...

I am only worried that at some pointmy finger would get in the way of the lens extending...would this kind of restriction cause a major problem with lens error requiring fixing/replacement, or just a minor inconvince requiring me to turn camera off and then back on?...maybe nobody can really answer this question...

and perhaps abit of an embarrassingquestion... what does gun metal look like compared to silver aluminum? I havent seen one in stores/online.

thanks again

Old Dec 16, 2005, 5:29 PM   #4

A Casio tech. support in the US has replied to me and stated that the Z120 and the Z750 do indeed use the same lense

they also stated the following:

ANY PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE 750 CAMERA, SINCE THEY WERE ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY ASSOCIATED WITH THE USER HAVING ACTIVATED THE CAMERA WHILE IN A CASE OR POCKET, HAVE NOT BEEN FIXED. THIS IS A USER ISSUE. THIS HAPPENS WHEN THE "INSTANT ON RECORD" BUTTON IS PRESSED. THIS BUTTON CAN BE SHUT OFF AS A PREVENTATIVE SOLUTION..

NO PROBLEMS OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THIS HAVE BEEN REPORTED ON THE Z120

- just started thinking that the z110, withits low price, might be a good compromise in the meantime until I fell assured of no more problems.

can anyone direct me to info on the 6MP chip..does it perform similarly as the 7.2MP in terms of noise and other processing?

Old Dec 16, 2005, 6:52 PM   #5

I think the Z120 has the same 7Mp sensor. We must be looking at different cameras.

The auto-on buttons are deactivated by default and many problems have occurred with them left off. The power button is not as easy to activate, but it can be done while reaching for the camera.

Some people have gotten lens errors by having their fingers in the way when they turn it on, but unless you have a gorilla grip on it the error goes away with a recycle leaving no problems.

I take issue with their statement that it is a user problem. The camera is made to carry in your pocket and it is just poor design that problems can occur if you hit the power button while reaching for it. They also put the auto-on feature on the camera that almost guarantees a lens error if you carry the camera in your pocket. They released the camera without proper user testing.

Other than that the camera is pretty sturdy. Some people reported dropping it several times without problems.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:01 PM   #6

As with any pop opening lens barrel, you have to hold the camera so your fingers will

Not touch the lens barrel when it opens! I learned this years ago with Casio's first zoom my

EX-Z3 and youwill not get the error! So don't be afraid! I love my EX-Z750!

JohnnyJT

South Philly
johnnyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:43 PM   #7

I received an email response fromCasio Canada. It is conflicting with an emailthat Ireceived from the US...confusing issue yes? Here are my questions, and the responses....

1)Does the z120 share the same lense as the z750?

2)Have the gears in the z750 been redesigned/modified/beefed up in
recent models? -If so, has the problem been fixed?
--also is there any way to determine a newer model or a more robust model in a store within Canada.

Thanks for your inquiry.

1) No...the Z750 and Z120 have different lens assemblies.

2) The lens mechanism (z750) has been modified to address earlier concerns and was limited to a small quantity of the initial production. The issue has been addressed however it is impossible to identify at retail, what models are the later production. Although not a perfect situation...If you do have any problems, it would be covered under the warranty.

I personal use the Z750 and have been delighted with the design, results and functionality...it is a great choice!

Best regards and seasons greetings.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:30 PM   #8

The gun metal version of the Z750 is about to be released. You would be sure of recent manufacture if you got one of those.

Unless someone sends you an unopened return you are likely to get a recent model from a high volume retailer. Someone with thousands of reviews likely has high volume. I would pay a little extra and get it from a trusted store like Digital Foto: http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-Exilim_EX_Z750~S-P~OR-0

They might both be correct about the lens. It might be the same lens with a different assembly in the gears.

It sounds like the first reply was boilerplate by Casio in response to the class action suit. They don't want to admit it is a problem and that it was fixed in later models.