Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:04 PM   #1

I've been reading all these great and informative post ( thanks to those who have posted)and have some concerns. I want a simple, but good quality, light, easy to carry camera for our family, that also can take decent videos.

I'm very interested in the z750 and the s600 but have a few concerns.

I really like what I've read about the z750 and would buy it on a second, except I'm quite leary of the lens error problem. I have 2 elementary age kids, and they'd probably cause a lens error in no time! Yes, I know I can deactivate the video mode, to avoid the camera from accidently truning on. But, most likely one of us, oneday, will obstruct the lens while its zooming out.

Those of you with either of these cameras, can you plase tell me what you can about any of my following concerns.........

1) Has the lens error been fixed in the later made Z750 "gun metal"models, as some have inferred?

2)Since the warrenty is only good for a year, then if I get the "lens error" past my 12 month warrenty, Casio will not fix it for free or replace my camera, even though its a known defect of the z750 model. Is that correct?

3) I've read that digital zoom in general, isn't all that great in terms of quality of picture and that's its best not to use it. Yet the z750 has an 8x digital zoom. What is the quality of the pics and video using 8X?

4a) In Video mode, only the digital zoom of the Z750can be used, is that correct?
b)Is this true also for the s600?

5) Does this "lens error' occur in the s500 or s600 models?

6) Some have complained that the flash of the z750 is only good for 9.5 ft. What is the flash power of the s600? Can this be corrected manually in any way for further distance photos?

7) Can you use the zoom in the video mode of the s600 - optical and / or digital zooms?

8a) If you can make a photo from any frame of arecorded video, and also get the 9 best shots, that's also available, then whatgood is it to have the camera be able to take photos while in video mode.
b) Are the quality of the photos taken during video modeany better or of higher megapixel than those chosen from a video frame?
c) I think I read that the video can only record at1 or 2 magapixel quality. If this is the case, then does the camera switch during video mode to 7.2 mp for that fraction of a second that you take a picture?

9) Other than the 8x digital zoom of the z750,
a)what are the advantages of the z750 vs the s600? The s600 has more battery life ( 300 photos vs 200), and brighter LCD - right?
b)Is the image stabilizer of the video mode the same in both?
c) And what about the antishake feature. Is is the exact same is both?
d)And what about picture quality? If I don't expect to take larrger that 8 x 10 photos, is there really a difference in picture quality of the photos or the video?

Anything else you can tell me to sway me toward buying either the z750 or the s600 would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
Carol
ohiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

1) Has the lens error been fixed in the later made Z750 "gun metal" models, as some have inferred?

Someone on another thread got this response from Casio:
"The lens mechanism (z750) has been modified to address earlier concerns and was limited to a small quantity of the initial production. The issue has been addressed however it is impossible to identify at retail, what models are the later production. Although not a perfect situation...If you do have any problems, it would be covered under the warranty."

The gun metal just guarantees a new release. The silver model from a high volume dealer would probably be of recent manufacture as well.

2) Since the warrenty is only good for a year, then if I get the "lens error" past my 12 month warrenty, Casio will not fix it for free or replace my camera, even though its a known defect of the z750 model. Is that correct?

I wouldn't count on getting it fixed after the warranty.

3) I've read that digital zoom in general, isn't all that great in terms of quality of picture and that's its best not to use it. Yet the z750 has an 8x digital zoom. What is the quality of the pics and video using 8X?

8X digital zoom on any camera gives 1/32 of the original pixels. In the case of a 7Mp camera like the Z750 you get 1.75Mp at 2X digital zoom, 0.4Mp at 4X and 0.1Mp at 8X. A 1.75Mp image is good for viewing onscreen or 4 X 6 prints. 0.4Mp might be OK for viewing onscreen or email. You could print a 4 X 6, but it wouldn't be great. 0.1Mp is just about useless. All digital zoom does is crop the image. You do better to just use maximum optical zoom and crop it yourself. Video is lower pixel to start with, so digital zoom degrades it fast.

4a) In Video mode, only the digital zoom of the Z750 can be used, is that correct?

Yes

b) Is this true also for the s600?

Probably, but I haven't seen a review.

5) Does this "lens error' occur in the s500 or s600 models?

I haven't read of any, and I peruse several digital camera boards.

6) Some have complained that the flash of the z750 is only good for 9.5 ft. What is the flash power of the s600? Can this be corrected manually in any way for further distance photos?

Flash range on both is about the same. The Z750 has a flash assist mode which works well. You do get more noise but most shots are quite good. I measured 25 feet from the face of the fireplace for this shot. The dark wall is another 2 feet further back. The lamp has a 16 watt bulb, so it didn't affect the lighting.

7) Can you use the zoom in the video mode of the s600 - optical and / or digital zooms?

Since the S500 doesn't allow optical zoom with movies the S600 probably doesn't. You might wait for reviews. Casio US doesn't even have specs for it yet.

8a) If you can make a photo from any frame of a recorded video, and also get the 9 best shots, that's also available, then what good is it to have the camera be able to take photos while in video mode.

The Z750 combines the images for the fast burst into a single image. It is a hassle to cut the individual images out. They are also so small they are useless. You end up with individual images taking frames from the movie. I'm not conversant with the best shot mode on the S600.

b) Are the quality of the photos taken during video mode any better or of higher megapixel than those chosen from a video frame?

Not with the Z750. If the S600 allows a snapshot during video it would be higher quality than the video frames.

c) I think I read that the video can only record at 1 or 2 magapixel quality. If this is the case, then does the camera switch during video mode to 7.2 mp for that fraction of a second that you take a picture?

Video is 640 X 480 pixels. That is around 0.3 Mp. That is as good as you are going to find on any small camera. I think the snapshot during movie recording pulls the larger image from the buffer memory, but I don't know how large they are on the S600..

9) Other than the 8x digital zoom of the z750,
a)what are the advantages of the z750 vs the s600? The s600 has more battery life ( 300 photos vs 200), and brighter LCD - right?

The 8X digital zoom is useless – I wouldn't put that in the considerations. The Z750 will fill a 1Gig card with photos and/or movies with power left over. Unless you plan to shoot at lower resolution you won't see a power difference. The S600 LCD is smaller and of lower resolution. I don't know about brighter. The Z750 has an optical viewfinder, which can be handy acquiring moving targets when zoomed. It also makes for a steadier hold in limited light. The main advantage of the Z750 are the controls and user interface. I get the feeling that manual controls aren't important to you, but digital cameras are a good learning tool and you might become interested in those things.

b) Is the image stabilizer of the video mode the same in both?
c) And what about the antishake feature. Is is the exact same is both?

No. The system on the S600 is better. But it doesn't work as well as optical stabilization and degrades the images. If you want true stabilization during movies and stills with a small camera consider the Panasonic FX9 or Sony T9. Both of those have much higher quality LCDs than either of the Casios.

d)And what about picture quality? If I don't expect to take larrger that 8 x 10 photos, is there really a difference in picture quality of the photos or the video?

I'm not a fan of the transparent ceramic lens technology in the Casio S series. The Z750 has a better lens and higher resolution. That being said, I don't think you would see any difference in most 8 X 10s.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:16 PM   #3

Thanks Swipe for your detailed reply.

I'm still not sure which to get, the S600 of Z750. Both are pretty much going for the same price of around $320 - $350. And both are very compact.

I like the 750 for all its features. Even though I'm camera ignorant, its seems like a camera thatI can learn to use and grow with. Plus,everyone seems to like this little camera and it seems to take goodpics and outstanding videos, fora digital camera.

But that lens error problem - I can't see investing all that money into something I hope to use for several yrs. I'd like to see if those with the new gun metal series of the 750 get the lens error, or, if like some have mentioned, this new version has fixed that error. I see tech toys will have the gun metal ones Jan. 6. I sure hope those with the gun metal version let us all know if they too eventually get this error.

But then maybe all I need is the s600. 6 mp is more than enough for me, and the 8 digital zoom of the 750 is like you said, useless - better to crop and zoom your pics later. Plus, the 600 can store more pics and video per charge. Italso hasa brighter LCD screen, although that's probably not a biggy. And I must admit, I love the bright orange color! Looks like a fun camera that I wouldn't mind always carrying in my purse, and thus have for all those special shots that I would otherwise miss.Both have that great 5 sec pre- start up of the video mode, which also is a plus.Unfortunately, I haven't really read any reviews, as its not officially released in the states.

I actually bought a kodak z760 before x-mas. For one, I hate the way it starts up - you have to rotate the dial while pushing in someridiculousy small button. The first one we got had a broken LCD screen, and we had to return it. The picture quality has a lot of shimmer on the hair and faces of the pics and the video mode quality is ok, at best. Its small but not small enough to probably always take with me, like the casios.

I hope others post their opinions of the z750 vs s600.

Carol

ohiomama is offline   Reply With Quote