Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:14 AM   #1

Hi,

I want to buy Casio Exilim EX S600, but there are very few retailers in US which have this model as of now. So I am planning to buy from http://www.techtoysforless.com

I have two questions:

1) Is this website - http://www.techtoysforless.com a genuine online retailer and provides the original box pack from Casio for S600 and all other accessories?

2) As Casio has not officially launched S600 in US, how do these few retailers get these models ? Will it be safe if I buy this model right now even before it is launched in US?

Please guide me as I am asking my brother (who is in US right now) to get it for me. I am in India and am worried about the above as in case if anything goes wrong, I might not get proper servicing here.

Thanks,

Ady
ady55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:11 AM   #2

I purchased 3 S600 from them before Christmas. Services were excellent and each camera is in Casio packaging. The document is multilingual and the power supply has two power cords, one US and one European.

I have no idea how they get the goods. My guest is that the owner is ethnic Chinese and she must has connection with either Japan or China.

All theree cameras work great.

Wonton
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:59 PM   #3

Thanks Wonton and Solarisdreams for replying so soon.

I have one more query about EX S600.

Does this camera get the Lens Error that is normally observed in EX Z750.

Having used this camera for some time now, did you guys find anyother major problems with with EX S600?

Thanks,

Ady

ady55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:06 AM   #4

It works great! S600 is the one I take with me and my Panasonics and Canons are left at home. I have no problem with it whatsoever and I have not heard of any lens error on S600.

Wonton
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:29 PM   #5

Likewise! I have been searching, reading, finding reviews on camera itself and where to get them from. Was choosing between Casio Ex-S600 and Panasonic FX9.. I am definitely getting the Casio S600 now!!

Thanx guys!

Jono
jonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:22 PM   #6

ady55 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I want to buy Casio Exilim EX S600, but there are very few retailers in US which have this model as of now. So I am planning to buy from http://www.techtoysforless.com
One thing I have learned over the years is to avoid buying electronic items, especially cameras from mail order houses. Many times I have purchased itemsonly to end up returning them because of some problem or other with the item. Yes, there are good trustworthy mail order houses out there, but it's not trusting them that is the issue with me. It's the inconvenience of shipping things back and forth. Case in point: My Dell computer...never again. I shipped back and forth 8 monitors before I finally received the correct model that I ordered. I would much rather wait until the model is available and then go on down to a local reputable dealer and purchase the item right over the counter. Sure you might spend a few dollars more, but you will save a few strands of hair over the course of time.

I have been purchasing camera equipment at my local Ritz camera store for quite some time now, so the staff know me well. They were nice enough to let me try out a few different cameras (at home mind you) before deciding on the S500, of which I am very happy with.

I'm not saying, not to purchase from these people, but be aware of the possible hassles one can encounter purchasing items this way.

Hope it all works out well for you.
jpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:47 AM   #7

solarisdreams wrote:
Quote:
...about 14 million ebay users would disagree, and that's only a smally piece of the online retail pie. But you are right in that consumers should always be dilligent ... but people should not takesomeone's bad experience andhave that prevent them from shopping online. Rather learn about how to protect yourself and do your research before purchasing. Doing so will allow you to buy goods safely on the Internet while saving yourself lots of money. Case in point, http://www.techtoysforless.com (in California) has this camera for about 340 with a free carrying case AND free spare battery. That's $60 off the suggested retail plus another $40 or so in accessories totally about $100 in savings...and that's not even including the 7-10% tax you pay!

Buying from old-school brick and mortor stores can be equally risky. Have you ever walked past camera shops in Brooklyn? *cringe* Unfortunately the truth is, most electronics online stores that you see out there are in NY/NJ/Brooklyn. Just searchbroadway photoscam on google and you'll see the likes of broadway photo and the hundred other fictitious names the same guys operate out of. It is these folks that really give people similar to you a bad taste in people's mouth. IMHO, [email protected] shops like this should be shutdown by their ISPs/credit card and merchants because they really are committing fraud.

[end rant]

/sd
Quote:
I do agree with you what you say. As I mentioned...I'm not saying, not to purchase from these people, but be aware of the possible hassles one can encounter purchasing items this way...There are reputable dealers out there-B&H, Adorama. I have used them and never encountered any problems. There are times I have had to use them when I can't find items at local camera stores. B&H and Adorama are, IMHO, very reputable. My main concern regarding using any of these companies is the possible hassles that can arise which would end up wasting my valuable time in shipping things back and forth. I'm a professional photographer and there are times when I need something yesterday, if you know what I mean. I can't afford any foul upsregarding wrong items shipped or items that are defective. When I purchase things over the counter...and I know the people I buy from...I can check the item first hand. If I have no other option, then Mail order is the next step...but from companies I mentioned. When it comes to using credit cards, it is safer purchasing over the internet...I do have to agree with you. There are (scam) merchants out there that have been cited for credit card fraud...again, another reason why I use REPUTABLE dealers. So to sum it up...NO MATTER WHERE YOU PURCHASE FROM...JUST BE CAREFUL. Happy shooting.

jpeg is offline   Reply With Quote