Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:22 AM   #11

Dear Solaris Dream

> Just sell the darn thing and buy a different camera.

As far as I know, there are notas yet (or should I say no longer) any cameras with external microphones.

The last camera to have an external microphone jack was theOlympus Camedia c770 but it had problemszooming and taking video at the same time, and worse, according to some there was a lag between sound and visionapparently. And also the viewfinder did not tilt towards the front.

The hybrids still have not reached a sufficientpicture quality.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

I have a mini DV tape video cameraand CDRvideo camera, but I find them both inconvient: inconvenient to carry around (bulky,heavy,*fragile*), and inconvenient toget thevideo out of the camera (I want to be able to access the media like a flash memory rather than having to stream the video out of the tape and chop it up, or use special software to seperate the video on the CD into bits). So I am looking for a flash memory video camera.

Panasonic's newsuper-hybridflash video camera SDR-S100 with a 2Gb card, sold very wellbut it did not have an external microphone.

In retrospect I wish I had bought the Sanyo Xacti C4hybrid because it seems that it is easy to open the viewfinder/microphone area. But then again, no. I can open the microphone area of thisCasio. I just can not open the main part of thecase.And I am a Casiofan.

> Have you thought about what you will do if you break it?
I will throw it away. Itcost $300 at auction in Japan. I bought it after investigating the inside of another Casio in mypossession. I felt sure that if I could open it I would be able to attach a microphone. I did not realise how difficult it would be to open.But...well...these things happen.

Even if I do not break it, since I am pretty satisfied with my Sony as a second camera (I also have a digital Rebel/Kiss SLR), this poor camera will go to waste. I have made too many marks on itfor it to get much in the way of a resale price.

Tim
timtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:24 AM   #12

I am pretty much up against a dead end, and as Solaris points out, I have wasted my money so far, so I think that it is time to invest a bit more...

I hereby offer a reward of $30 USD to anyone that can tell me how to open my Casio Exilim p550 camera, without breaking it open.

I can only pay by paypal or other feeless method of payment.

Tim

Ps I have advertised this thread on three or four other forums, because I am getting desperate! Since I am linking from a lot of other forums, it seems fair to link back (and also to keep track) here below
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...908#post106908
http://www.photo-forums.com/[email protected]@.eea1ff7
http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=18292
http://www.bytephoto.com/forums/t4005.html
http://www.reviewcentre.com/vt109175..._orderasc.html

Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:44 AM   #13

I don't see the difficulty in soldering the wires. It appears the iron would be at least 1/4" from the body of the camera. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to an electronics store. Heck, twist the wires together, super glue the connections, and insulate them.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:04 AM   #14

Dear Lucky2505

That is possible....Maybe I will. I don't know of an electronics store that would do that for me here in Japan but I was thinking that I might be able to advertise among the engineering students where I teach.

Have you tried the superglue method?

Another thing that I am sort of dreaming of, if I could open the case, is to use the existing dc input socket as a microphone socket. I never use the dc input. I do not even have the powersupply.

And perhaps I am just upset that I can not open the case! I won't be recording till later in march when it gets a bit warmer, since my main ambition is to record myself introducing the town in which I live, mainly out of doors.

By the way, if I were to use a mono microphone would it be okay to put the one microphone accross both?

Tim
Old Mar 27, 2006, 7:59 PM   #15

good luck!

Try looking for snap-locks around the camera.

I have an Off topic question: does the AC/DC (?) input at the side of the camera serves as a charging outlet as well?

I hate taking out the batt to charge it.
Bonito99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:47 AM   #16

Thanks, I have.

I am sorry I don't know the answer, to your question but I doubt it.
I have purchased a spared battery.

My camera still can not be opened.

Tim
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:41 AM   #17

If your ALWAYS going to use an external mike, just plain old cut the wires closest to the mike itself, and use that as the lead, soldering shoud not be an issue.

Think I would look for a place on the body for the plug,

wingnutdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:47 AM   #18

Plug? Do you mean socket? The present dc input socket could I think be used as a microphone input socket if I disconnected the wires going to the DC input and connected the wires going to the microphone.

I don't know what I am going to do....

Tim
Old May 1, 2006, 9:59 PM   #19

CASE to OPEN!!

I got in touch with the Hiroshima Casion service station and a kind Mr. TF (name changed)said that, on the condition that there would be no guarantee that I can get the camera back together or that it would function after I had fiddled with it, he would be prepared to open it for me.

http://casio.jp/support/repair/techno2.html

Thanking everyone for their generous advice, I hereby declare this appeal closed and that my offer of a reward for information leading to the opening of the case has ceased.

I will ask Mr. TF for details of how he managed to open the case, but I think that it likely thatI will never know. He says that it should be very simple after the removal of only 6 screws. Perhaps I am inept!

Thank you for your attention,

Tim
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:02 AM   #20

Case opened, microphone attached, looks good, almost works, but with whining sound.

I managed to get the case open myself.

The trick is to open it from the right hand side (as one looks at the BACK) becaus there are long spurs going down to the two screws on the side/front of the camera. It has to be opened in a door like swinging motion with the hinge at the same place as the hinge of the display. If you open the left hand side first (easy to do since the left hand side is easy to open) then it is difficult to open the right.

There were four very thin microphone wires. I attached these to much thicker wires, used heat--shrink sleeving to cover the soldered joints, removed the strap attachment (by melting a piece of plastic away with the soldering iron) and lead the four wires out, through a grommet, to a jack plug.

I had a 4 pin jack plug planned, so that I might be able to take advantage of the stereo but one of the four camera-mike wires snapped (this was not the first time) so I gave up on one of the two microphone wire pairs and added a two pin jack and plugged in a Sony dynamic microphone (such as used by singers).

This is what it looks like

And this is the output that it produces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgNHVg50X8
I can here the wine. The whine is quite noticable when listening to the original mpeg4 video.

There are likely to be one of two reasons
1) The pair of leads that are not connected to anything are particular sensitive to picking up a signal from the camera (perhaps some raster frequency of the display or ccd). However, it seems that the noise is equally apparent on both the left and right audio channel.
2) All the leads going to the camera are picking up a signal from the workings of the camera.
3) The output level of the sony microphone is such that the Exilim is amplifying at its highest setting so that it is more likely to pick up whine. The use of an electret microphone migh solve this. There appears to be power going to the microphone since it makes noises like a speaker when plugged in (!).

The wire that I am using contains one screen core and two seperate wires. By chance the wirese that I ended up using were those which were unscreened. I could open up the back and use the screened wires. ButI am scared I will snapp the remaining microphone wires. I should have bought a twin screened cable.

So I may attempt to use a low pass filter on the result. Unfortuneately I don't know a video editing software package that has a low pass filter.

The image quality does not look all that good on Youtube but I am more than satisfied with it. Here it is, with the whine as an AVI (mpeg encoded?)
http://ds21.cc.yamaguchi-u.ac.jp/~econo/temp/CIMG1474.AVI
and a flash (swf) file created using "Super" by erightsoft (free and excellent)
http://ds21.cc.yamaguchi-u.ac.jp/~econo/temp/CIMG1474.SWF

If anyone has any suggestions regarding the whine and how to remove it then please let me know.

Tim