Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:41 AM   #31

timtak. enjoyed reading your review. Not laughing at you at all. 1 camera, trashed, or 4 now? wow?

sometimes a repair shop wil offer advice, and do things for free. I had walked into one and asked thePerson to modd somethingfor me, and free of charge, no garantees if he blows up the stuff? a simple diagram I had. andnott he correct tools.

Today I have opened and fixed my own hybrid, and happy to show others. if it is hard we try to get that info before hand.

I even had to repair a jammed aps film in a canon elphi, on a cruise, lost excellent footage shots , not from the camera but of the glaciers, relied on a desposable ,and my digital camera. Turned out kodak defective film. camera fixed.

Today a hybrid is the way to go enexspensive, av inpu, to add vid/aud and can seperate mic or vid w/o opening a perfect device.

1000.00usc thrown away could have gotten you that Sony and blue tooth mic.

I liked the review and good luck in the future.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:13 PM   #32

Sony and bluetooth? Which is that?

I did look into hybrids and posted to a forum on which you are active (probably here at steve's digicams) and we talked a bit about hybrids but I came to the conclusion that the video quality of the Chinese cameras was not quite up to what I was looking for. But I am sure that they are improving all the time.

I have destroyed three cameras.

There is still a chance that Casio will repair one or more of them at a price within my budget, so I can destroy them again? I think that I am not going to attempt this again. I may try and find someone who is better with a soldering iron than me.

Tim
timtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:11 AM   #33

not remembering the model but thecommercial was a good one in the USA where a lilgurl, is proforming on stage. she is sad b/c no one seen her. so dad pops in the cassette , or dvd andthe way it went smilesall around. Sony talks about blooh toth technology a mic seperate from the camcorder to capture every moment you missed.

hybrids or not, have fun. happy holidayz
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:02 AM   #34

I went and bought another, a 4th Casio! I have not attempted to add a microphone to it. As a video camera it is just groovy.

If only it had a microphone. Here is me doing the sort of thing I was planning on doing but as you can hear there is a lot of background noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnPXFjw437k
(and please excuse the pathetic attempt at sequencing a jingle)

So if ever anyone is listening that has confidence about adding a microphone, then I am willing to pay to swap my microphone less one for yours, with a microphone jack.

Tim
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:16 PM   #35

I have done a little video and the lower priced cameras always have poor sound.
You have to edit anyhow so why not record the sound with a separate MP3 recorder and add it in later?

The big killer for sound is the AGC audio level. In an interview when ever they stop talking the AGC ramps up and the noise goes through the roof. You need an audio recorder with no AGC so you can set the levels manually.

The trick for shooting weddings is to place a tiny MP3 recorder on the bride because they talk so soft.

Find a nice voice recorder with manual gain control and stop killing so many cameras!

I will go look for one.

Here is a OK one.

Sony
ICD-SX57 USB Digital Voice Recorder with Docking Station Silver 256MB Dragon Compatible

ArizonaVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:59 AM   #36

Dear Arizona Video

I am sorry I missed your reply about a month ago.

You are right about Automatic Gain Control. But I found thatwith a goodmetal karaoke microphonethe noise was not too bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFgNHVg50X8

Perhaps the AGC audio level control moves fairly slowly, so thatif the pause are not that long

> You have to edit anyhow so why not record the sound
> with a separate MP3 recorder and add it in later?

I am lazy I guess. Fiddling around with two pieces of equipment, storing and retrieving the relevant files, and getting the synchronisation right...

> The trick for shooting weddings is to place a tiny MP3 recorder on the
> bride because they talk so soft.
Good idea.

> Find a nice voice recorder with manual gain control and stop killing so many cameras!

Very good idea.

I have a nice voice recorder with manual gain control actually, and it even accepts an external microphone. Recommended...
http://www.amazon.com/IRiver-iFP-899...ews/B0002DCJT0

And I still still have my 4th, microphone-lessCasio p505 and use it for family videos.

Also, in an rare moment ofgenerosity my employer funded the purchase of a Panasonic HVX200 (not only for me, but I can use it)which also providestapeless video in a way similar, andyet very different tomy p505.Being a professional camera, it hasof course, a non AGC external microphone. But the expense of the P2 cards, size of the camera, and the fear of the breaking it...islimiting. To be honest I have not used it much yet. This is also partly because my editor of choice, Sony Vegas, does not support the P2 file format and I have yet to purchase Raylight which allows the import of the P2 files.

Lately however, I have been thinking of getting a Panasonic HDC-SD1, which due to the rapidrelease of later versions (SD3 and now SD5)can be purchased quite cheaply.I am still looking for a tapeless camera with an external microphone.Alas, however,beinga Panasoniccamerait has problems integrating with Sony Vegas and the files are difficult to edit.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129478/article.html
So my search foran external-microphoned tapelessvideo camera continutes.

Tim

Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:18 PM   #37

How about the following makeshift for mono, external microphone?

Your favorite microphone, with any associated amplifier, is outputting to a single "ear bud". The ear bud is stuck in some fashion to the (microphone) hole in your (unmodified) camera. The ear bud can opened and the internal "speaker" could be removed and put in a housing of your choice--to facilitate attachment.

This would be called acoustic coupling to your camera -- or to any camera with an internal microphone. External sounds could be blocked quite effectively by the housing around the ear bud speaker.
oddgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:58 PM   #38

Sounds okay in theory but does it work? Isn't there quite a lot of distortion? Can you post a demo?
Old Sep 22, 2007, 5:38 PM   #39

Sure it works. How well? Depends.

Easy experiment: Dial your local weather number on the phone. Hold the earpieceof the phone against the microphone hole on your digital camera. Record the sound. Take the mem card out of camera, insert in card slot in your computer. Listen to the recording. Make your own judgement. (I have done this with phone conversations I wanted to record. It suits me.)

Remember that quality (music for example) doesn't work well over phone system.

Earbuds are dirt cheap.

oddgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:59 AM   #40

I see. This is not something that you have done, but an extrapolation from your experience of recording telephones.

I can see that it would work. I fear however, that that quality would not be all that good. Would it be good enough for my purposes. I am not sure.

Microphones do not give enough output to drive an earbud. One would need an amplifier as well.

I am not convinved enough to buy an amplifier of some sort, or sure where to get one.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Tim