Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:32 PM   #1

I would like to try to add an external microphone to my cute powerful Exilim p505.

I have taken a Casio apart before (my early Exilim 3.2Mp) and it did not seem to do any harm. I got rid of the dust.

But I can't get the panels off my p505. Have I miss a screw?

I removed
one on bottom of lens
two near the hinge
two either side of tripod mount
two at LCD hinges
two inside the flash
two on the side of the grip
two attaching the strap bracket
one inside the Dc in / digital out port bay

I wonder if the problem is the main menu navigation button. Perhaps I need to pull that out? I tried to lever it outbut that justdamaged the surround.

Has anyone opened their p505? Doesn't anyone want to?

If anyone knows how, please let me know. An external microphone is rather important to me.

Tim

timtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:29 PM   #2

I open my cameras all the time, I have boxes of them and all sorts of parts I could put back in them or found left on the table. Lots of screws etc. Most did not work afterwards so i sold those on CraigsList. The ones that did work, well sort of, I just keep around to remind me of what a bad idea it is to open these delicate digital cameras.

doctorJerry
doctorJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:38 AM   #3

I think taking cameras apart is best left to professionals, especially with the sensitivity to the lens mechanism alignment.
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:23 PM   #4

I agree that dissassembling cameras is best left to the professionals. As far as I am aware however, I do not have that option. (Or do you think I may be able to send my camera to Casio to have it dissassembled?)

I need an external microphone.

I see that the macro button and the EX button are attached by wires with a socket. If the microphone has a similar wire-socket attachmentthen I may be able to attach wires to a jack without using a soldering iron! What I would really like to do is to connect one of the microphone inputs to the DC input. I never use the DC input. It would do fine as an external microphone input.

I have removed all the screws. But still I can not get the camera open. If there are any Casio professionals, or other people who like me have a pressing reason to open their camera and have succeeded, then please let me know how to open the case.

Tim
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:50 AM   #5

My exilim p505 still has all (??)it is screws removed, but I still can not open it.

To recap...I need this camera totake movies ofinterviews. I must add an external microphone, since the external microphone is too sensitive. Thus it is essential to me that I open the camera to add a jack, since there is no external microphone jack by default.

But even though I have removed allthe screws I can find, the camera still does not open. Can anyone point to a screw that I am missing?

The scews that I have removed are

At the hinge of the display

At the side of the camera (two screws) and from inside the place where the strap attaches (two screws)

The screw inside theexternal connections area (photo a bit out of focus, sorry)

Inside the flash (note the neat lens protector I got for 700 yen) two more screws

From the base (but I replaced the screw on the base of the lens because the only thing that I could remove is the end of the lens which falls off without this screw at the base). Originally I removed this screw at the base of the lens too, but it did not make any difference.

Thus I removed

But alas, all I could open the camera is this much....

The right hand side (away from the hinge of the display) will not open.

The obvious solution was to suppose that the main button (selector four directional selectorwith"set" in the middle), needed to be removed first.

So I bought a small but strong pair of pliers and tried to pull out this button assembly using by gripping the set button in the centre. I applied that which I considered to beconsiderable force (any more and I fear damaging the circuitboard to which it is probably attached) but all I succeed in doing was damaging the"set"button in the centre.

Does anyone know of some screws I am missing? Are there screws somewhere that I am missing? What is the trick to opening a Casio Exilim p505?

Remember, it is essential that I attatch an external microphone.

As you can see I purchased this camera in Japan.

Tim

Ps The place that seems to be the most difficult to open is the top right hand corner of the back. Thinking that it might be the rotator at the top that needed to be removed, I removed it, and in the proces broke it. The camera still works. The rotator still rotates, but it has lost its clickiness and the markings are a little out of sync with the functionality. Drat! It serves me righ, sure, but.....
And I still can not open the camera!!!
Perhaps it is the strap holder that needs to be removed first. There does not seem to be a way of doing this.

Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:51 PM   #6

Hi,

have you checked underneath any of the stickers? Manufactures tend to hide them there so they can easily see if the screws have been tempered with.

So far I only took a part a QV-3500 ... on vacation .... after dropping it ...with a swiss army knife - and managed to get it back together again.

Good luck - MacSass
MacSass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:57 PM   #7

Thanks very much, but alas, there does not seem to be a screw under any of the stickers.

I removed the sticker explaining the meaning of the icons on the dial and the top door stop piece of rubber that cushions the closure of the viewfinder, but no screw.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I have contacted Tim of *****************, who used to be aCasio repair person, and now repairs Casios on this own accountto ask how to take my camera apart but,I guess that is would be a trade secret.

Tim
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:10 AM   #8

Tim, the master casio repair person wrote back saying that there is usually a hidden screw somewhere, so I had another look and found the screws to the part of the camera where the microphone is!

The screws are under the flash attachment one on either side. This is one (shown with the front of the lens removed)

And here is the other

This means that I can open the flash unit, which contains the microphone, and the wires going into it.

If i were a genius with a soldering iron I could snip these wires and solder them to other wires, or a jack socket. Here is a close up.

But it would be very difficult because the wires are not long, and I would have to solder right in close to the body of the camera.

However....If ONLY i could get the main part of the body open, I feel sure that the other end of the wires end in a micro-miniature socket and plug (on the circuit board) like these wires going to the buttons on the side of the lens.

So if I could open the main part of the case, I could unplug the current microphone and, if I could purchase an equivalent socket just plug a new microphone in, or then with the microphone attachment seperate from the body of the camera, cut the wires to the internal microphone and add a jack socket. It would not look good, but I see no reason why it should not work.

So dear Casio owners...how do i get the body open?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:31 AM   #9

Returning to the main body of the camera, some things I have tried are

the sticker and the "doorstop"behind the viewfinder.

And I alsopeeked under the metal facia surrounding the on off button. It is held on with glue. There does notappear to be a screw underneath it. (I am not 100% sure but 95% sure. I did not remove it completely, because I did not want to break theadhesive completely).

And once again, the extent to which I can open the body of the camera is....

The red area appears to be theproblem area.And as mentioned above, the large round selector with the set button in the middle is the most obvious candidate but
1) I havetried to pull it out but it will not budge
2) Even when the case is at its most open, like this, there still seems to be play in the selector button so it does not seem to be the thing that isholding the case in place.

Tim
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:02 AM   #10

...i think it's a silly idea. Just sell the darn thing and buy a different camera.

I admire your courage though. Have you thought about what you will do if you break it?

solarisdreams is offline   Reply With Quote