Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:01 AM   #1

Does anyone know if you can copy mpeg-4 from a Casio ex s600 to itunes loaded on a Windows XP PC and then copy it to the Apple ipod video? I know Casio Exilim series software doesn't run on Mac, but the Casio mpeg is the mpeg4 format and mpeg4 is what runs on the Apple ipod video. Any help would be appreciated.
rlangham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:29 AM   #2

Welcome,

but Your idea: "Casio software does not run on Mac" is basically wrong: try search this forum and www.dpreview.com forums on that issue and You see that Your homework was not sufficent- neither ability to read Casio homepage on video issues with Mac (the same case with Samsung, Pentax etc. cameras using M4S2 codec...). About iPod- sorry, no idea...

Best, and sorry for such an "unpolite" answer- I always prefer to search/investigate/think first and then spam the community :-)

JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:44 AM   #3

Thanks Jr... sorry I'm not as thorough as you. But my concern isn't running Casio's software on a Mac, it's loading mpeg-4 video made with the ex s600 into itunes on WINDOWS and into the Apple ipod video. Maybe if you'd get the jest of the 'spam' instead of critizing the contents you'd be better prepared to answer the question.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:56 AM   #4

Sorry for misunderstanding and this was no way personal:roll:...

Apple states 'bout iPod:

MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

The problem here is that Exlims take video at 4.4mbps in good quality but the next choice is to use 2.2 mbps but not so recommended.

My suggestion would be:

1. Install Virtualdub to Your PC;
2. install ffdshow and mark DiVX codec as libavcodec (this covers the M4S2 codec used by Casio also);
3. install DiVX codec;
4. Now You can in a quick way reencode Your videos for iPod: use DiVX simple profile with less than 2500kbps (I suggest that 1000 is sufficent if You view it on a small screen)- and also You can reencode You audio to AAC-LC (Casio uses PCM).

Best and hope this helps You a little :-) JR

Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:59 AM   #5

And good link for how to use M4S2 with Apple stuff is at:

http://emonkid.hp.infoseek.co.jp/EX_M4S2/index_e.html

Best, JR

Old Jan 19, 2006, 3:12 PM   #6

Thank, JR. I downloaded a sample mpeg from Casio's web site. I found a software package from a company called RiverPast (riverpast.com?) that would convert .avi files to ipod. I believe the software was called Crazi Legs. I converted the 20 second .avi file, which took about 40 seconds. It automatically loaded the newly created mpeg-4 video into Apple iTunes. The converted file was about 1/2 the size of the original. Though the quality wasn't quite as good, it wasn't bad. However, I haven't tried to load it on an ipod video so I don't know if it will load or how it will look if it does. I may also try your suggestion, and thanks again for your response.