Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:03 AM   #1

A DVD ripped to a divx movie is 700Mo for 90 min for a nice quality, which is 7-8 Mo/minute, and a movie taken with my exilim is 256 Mo for 8 min, which is roughly 5 times less efficient. ( I have a S500).

I suppose there is no way to increase the efficiency of the encoder of the digital camera, I'd like then to reencode the movies once on the PC, to have acceptanme sizes (for transfer...)

I tried to open a movie with virtual dub, but no way (i did the ffdshow thing described on http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=14&page=6). I still have a strange message : "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'M4S2' (unknown) VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by WMP are not suitable."

Dunno what to doandhow to get the best settings to reduce the size without quality loss... Any ideas ? Is there a detailed tutorial somewhere ?

Thanks a lot.

Plok.
PLOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:28 AM   #2

All should work as described in the referred link. In Your case make sure that You open Start->All Programs->ffdshow->VFW codec configuration. There select the Decoder tab and top line (Codecs) and set DiVX4 to libavcodec- this will handle M4S2 codec for VideoForWindows applications like VirtuaDub.
Hope You can do it this way!

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 5:49 AM   #3

fddshow did not do it for me either. I may try and uninstall and reinstall. There were quite a lot of installation options. I generally chose yes, but perhaps that was the wrong thing to do. fddshow's little icon replicates itself in the task bar with each video that I attempt to view.

In the longer term, while virtual dub is a great program considering that it is free, I have ordered the educational pack of Avid ($300) Express Pro which comes with Sorrenson Squeeze. But I would not be able to afford it if I were not in education.

Tim

timtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:55 AM   #4

There are mpeg-4 to divx converters....
solarisdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:30 AM   #5

I got avid express today. I missed the small print which said that the academic version ofAvid Express Prodoes NOT come bundled with Sorrenson Squeeze. Ouch.
timtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 4:45 AM   #6

I think you shouldn't waste any money when it comes to video compression. Commercial software is a way inferior to the free software in this area. Instead of investing money you should invest time to learn more about Virtualdub and how to use Codecs. Then, if you are getting more advanced you may also employ Avisynth to get the best possible results. The folks over at the doom9 forum (www.doom9.org) will certainly help you with any problem you might experience.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:16 PM   #7

Virtual dub will do pretty much anything you want including converting. But your system much have ant codecs you intend to convert from and too installed. Here are some things to note in the quest to learn how to use VD and generally learn about using codecs and doing work of any kind with video....

1)-There are sites where you can downloads codecs of any type
2)-there are many good forums including the one mentioned above.
3)-there are codec "packs" that you can install which install most every codec imaginable on your system
4)-a video also requires an AUDIO coded (assuming of course the movie has sound) so your system much also have the audio codec of the format you are converting to and from installed.
5)-programs you can get that work with a given format will install the codecs that format uses on your system. So for example if you want to convert to a format who's codecs are not installed on your system, installing a prog that works with that format is one way to get those codecs installed if you can't seem to find the correct codec for lack of knowing which one it is or whatever reason.
6)-looking in a movie file's properties (right click, click "properties") theres an area (i think "summary") that often lists the codecs used and various other properties of the video.
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote