Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:18 AM   #1

I purchased an refurbished Casio QV-R40 from an online dealer. It came in a nice casio box with all the attachments. very nice looking unit but it would not focus properly, very qrainy photos. I called Casio tech service they looked at some of the pictures and advised sending it in for checking.

I send the camera to Casio repairs in New Jersey. They advise me that since I purchased it from an Ebay dealer they do not honor any warranty and I would halp to pay return postage to get the camera back. The service rep did not seem to care that the camera was in a casio box with a warranty card only that my receipt was from paypal and they dont honor paypal receipts.

Just wanted to see if any other Casio users had similar experiences:sad:
Rickmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:01 AM   #2

Man, I hear this kind of horror story all the time. Just like you, I had to learn the hard way. When you purchased the camera on eBay, was there a return policy with the seller? I know we all like to aquire items at a cheeper price, but so many times it works out in the end to be more expensive for us. Buying things like cameras etc., sight unseen is like playing Russian roulette. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. I know exactly how you feel. I cut my teeth, so to speak, in Photography many years ago on a Minolta SRT-101. I found, on eBay, a Minolta SRT-101 what was advertised as in pristine condition. When I received the camera it was way less then Pristine condition. The lens mount was nonfunctional, the camera body was dented, and the inside of the camera was filthy. I did manage to get my money back, but it was a major fight to accomplish this. I learned my leason, as I mentioned above.

If I may express a word of advice. In future, when purchasing something of this nature, spend the extra few dollars and buy from a REPUTABLE dealer (over the counter). I've mentioned this to a few members of the board here that I have purchased much of my camera gear recently from Ritz Camera. They offer a warranty program I haven't seen offered by any other company. If your camera gets broken...bring in the pieces...if it can't be fixed, they give you a new camera. As a professional photographer, my gear gets lots of use and abuse, so this kind of warranty coupled with my business insurance gives me alot of piece of mind when I go out on a photo shoot.

I hope that you can resolve this problem. Let us know how it works out for you.

Happy shooting.
jpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:17 PM   #3

Well said, and good advice.
wingnutdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:50 AM   #4

It`s a real shame that people have this much trouble with warranty...i also had a problem with my casio camera...i bought it abroad and i still havent decided yet if i will send it to the store where i purchased it or will i just pay someone in my country to repair it. The casio warranty says that it is valid in all european countries, but when i contacted the contractor that should handle casio repairs he replied that unfotunately they dont have a contract with casio yet and so the warranty is not valid in my country. Of course they can repair my camera, only i have to pay them to to that! I guess i learned my lesson...always buy stuff in my own country...the problem was that casio has a real small sales network here and the camera i wanted was not on the market.

In your case Rickmick...its a shame that online shopping gets this kind of treatment...i mean - one would think that the dealers and producers will try to make network shopping credible and an equal alternative to the traditional "go to the store and buy it", but your case does just the opposite - it makes people doubt about the security of online shopping.
marko_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:46 PM   #5

Oh dear. Now I am worried. Imailed my casio s500 on Monday this week to the repair facility in NJ. I bought it in August from an ebay dealer. I talked to Casio customer service who said that whatever is wrong should be covered under warranty and all we had to pay for was shipping it to them. Ugh!! Our camera worked great until last week. It started overexposing the pictures terribly. We downloaded the latest firmware update and it did not help at all. I may have to call tomorrow and hope this does not happen to me!! The ebay store is (I think!) a guaranteed Casio dealer (the camera was new - not refurbished)...

Anyway! Has anyone had a similar problem with their casio ??

Thanx!

Denise Wallace
denisewallace is offline   Reply With Quote