Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:36 AM   #1

YEP I MADE UP MY MIND I AM SO GOING TO GET THIS CAMERA(CASIO EX Z120). I WAS THINK ABOUT WAITING ON THEZ850 TO SEE WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT, BUT IT BEING NEW AND ALL WILL COST ME AROUND $400 AND I AM NOT WILLING TO SPEND THAT MUCH ON A CAMERA. THANKS STEVE

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/ex-z120.html
KIMBERLY1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:14 PM   #2

Hello, nice to hear that- Steve has done great job as always!

But some points are rather disappointing (I myself am a happy Z750 owner from April):
1. No AF illuminator;
2. Really so bad best video quality- have to check it out myself... (of course if that 1.2 MBps versus Z750 4.4 MBps is true)
3. Really USB 1.1 to computer- can not believe it as Z750 gives average 3MB/s speed:-) but it may be a review mistake as Casio states that it is USB 2.0- and who cares as the best idea is to use a separate card reader rather than stick this small connector (if You of course can locate the cable...)
4. And what about this "Alarm with image" stated by Casio- rather stupid but with my Pentax Optio it has saved the world for me when my cell-phone battery died and the only "clock" was camera in the wild- does Z120 really have this?

But anyway a very good (and cheap) entry level camera to learn about photography (manual modes!)

Best, JR

PS Sorry regarding 2- I did not notice that it is MJPEG, not MPEG-4:?

The good news must be that they have changed the compression algo- 5MP image is now ~3MB versus 2.2 MB on Z750- thats goooooood!

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:22 PM   #3

Looks like a fair review. I agree that the anti shake gives a noisy image - though I would like to print out one of the images before deciding to avoid using it (since prints often look much better than on screen)

I didn't realise that shutter lag could be virtually negated by using the optical viewer only - thats amazing compared to the cameras that we were using just 2 years ago.
i would also agree that the flash does appear to power down for macros.

I'm glad I have this camera and it's nice to see such a positive review
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:03 AM   #4

Reps wrote:
Quote:
3. Really USB 1.1 to computer- can not believe it as Z750 gives average 3MB/s speed:-) but it may be a review mistake as Casio states that it is USB 2.0

It's USB-2.
blende8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:20 AM   #5

Am I the only one who thinks he is too nice in his conclusions?

I wouldn't mind him pointing out a few bad things he disliked about the camera, Or comparisons between other camera's (for example, with this camera the flash is very weak, so compare it to another one or whatever)

I agree with him on everything, but I think it would be good if you also read about the bad things, not just the good parts.

For example, heres a few things I didn't like about it (I still like the camera, but heres some "negative" parts) (Via sample pics) (and the 10cm minimum distance for macro is not very impressive)

SUPER noisy long exposures (I realize all camera's get this, but to me this one is worse than others)
http://www.norristology.com/camera/CIMG0340.JPG

heres an ISO 1600
http://www.norristology.com/camera/CIMG0344.JPG

And heres a 2 problem in one (minimal distance from the lens to be in focus is VERY long with this camera, And how weak the flash is, you can see how as you get farther away from the cat, the flash becomes useless (This is tough to show but the flash is really really weak) Don't have many sample pics that illustrate it, but it is true.
http://www.norristology.com/camera/CIMG0205.JPG

(Warning all these pics are full resolution, unedited (if you want to check the Exif anyway)
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:59 PM   #6

Ok z120 owner here... I can assure you low light focus is excellent, as long as you can see even the tinniest light spec on the screen it will lock on it and focus sharp eg. one candle at a table as source of light is enough to get nice sharp pictures. I filled up a 2gb card on fresh 2500 Nimh's - thats 400 hi quality pix (1/3 with flash) and some video + fiddling with camera, attaching it to tv, etc.. amazed at battery performance.

Iso 400 is comparable to canon compacts and 1600 is noisy of course but I'm glad it's there as an option. Flash performance is a bit weak but can be boosted and is acceptable.

Only one annoyance so far, in video mode AF makes noise as it's focuses so you have to set it to pan focus and its ok. I understand other compacts also have this problem. Digital zoom works under video.

Overall extremelly pleased with the camera and can highly recomend it.
digic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:57 PM   #7

I like the fact that the flash power can be adjusted -2 / +2 and that sharpness and contrast and saturation can be adjusted in camera. It's the best compact that i have used.

Overall,I think that Steve's review was a good reflection of the camera. He takes a steady course with his reviews and doesn't tend to set alarm bells ringing without fair cause.

The problem with many reviews (including the magazines) is that they often refer to things that 90% of users will never see or use. There should be a warning when revieweres talk about say, noise - are they talking about noise that will show up in real life photo's or noise that willonly show up under high magnifation etc etc etc. As soon as you see the word 'noise' in a review, you immediately tend to have doubts about the product, the noise thing has almost become silly.

If reviews were perfect, they would all say the same thing about a camera, but i have seen several reviews that have conflicts regarding the same model. This makes the personl experiences of actual users all the more importnt on these boards.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:25 AM   #8

digic01 wrote:
Quote:
Only one annoyance so far, in video mode AF makes noise as it's focuses so you have to set it to pan focus and its ok.
I think the Z120 automatically chooses Pan Focus when using video mode? At least that's what the manual says (p. 113 left).
blende8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 9:56 AM   #9

The LCD is only about 90K Pixels or so, vs say 110K on the Canon A620.

I have this camera and I can't tell you how fast the USB really is as I myself am limited to USB 1.x speeds, you have to admit though 1.5MB/s isn't really that horrible.

Video is "only" 28 FPS on the EX-Z120, vs 30FPS on other cameras, another minor negative.

Weak Flash rom what I have read.

But this camera has many many postives which outweigh the few negatives.

Pictures are only the "minimum" 72 DPI.

coldpower27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:34 PM   #10

Just received the z120 (online from Circuit City) and the battery compartment refuses to open!!! Has anybody had this problem? Casio Support suggests the door mechanism is broken and that I exchange it.
Kilikina is offline   Reply With Quote