Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:02 AM   #11

No.

If this would be a defect in the camera it would not be limited exactly to the pole. You would see this effect elsewhere. E.g. the grey pole next to the wooden one looks normal. The wooden one is more in the trees, so, what you see is probably an interesting shaddow effect of the branches.

Look into the sky, it looks ok everywhere.

Regarding the branches and shingles: What you see is simply the limited resolution of the camera.

Perhaps you are expecting too much? Ask a friend with a comparable camera, shoot the same scene and compare the images.
blende8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:56 AM   #12

Where did you buy the camera? Just curious...
solarisdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:22 AM   #13

i have to say that those pictures are really disgusting. i want to buy a digital camera but confused between a canon a430 and the sony s600. in steve's reviews for both cameras, the picture of the brick house taken by the sony was much clearer and sharper than the canon one. actually all the canon pictures are inferior compared to the sony one. both use AA batteries which is a must for me. iam not sure if sony has only 90 days labor/1 year parts warranty on their cameras or 1 year labor/1year parts.!! i hate memory stick stuff but if s600 is better, then ill live with that, so what you think
?
mustaphabarakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:38 PM   #14

I wouldn't make judgments based on any best shot mode. You don't really know what the camera is doing.

Your second shot is focused on something close to the camera. The optics with the little sensor gives a lot of depth of field, but it isn't infinite. Your roof shingles just aren't in focus. The mottling on the wood pole is shadows from the tree limbs. You can see them more clearly on upper part of the large metal pole. I think you would have similar problems with any camera without pre-focusing on what you wanted to be sharp.

The S600 probably isn't the right camera if you intend viewing everything at 100% and evaluating the image based on the fine detail. But if you learn to use the camera it will probably give you good prints up to 8 X 10 and good full screen images. I don't see anything wrong with the camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:55 PM   #15

all i could think off is that you enabled multi focus. try to enable only center focus. by the way. i seriously think that the s600 is seriously inferior camera, no offense to any one. i had a 3.2mp canon a400 and the pictures were absolutely sharp. i am such an idiot that i sold it to upgrade for something better. whats funny is that i will end up buying again a canon a400. some times new is not always better.
mustaphabarakat is offline   Reply With Quote