Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:50 PM   #1

i had an ex-s500 for a little more than 1 month and the LCD screen went blank. sent it to casio california service center only to be told that the LCD screen is not under warranty. i am going to talk to these guys to get some more details as my warranty, which every one can check on the web, does not say anything about LCD screens.

just a warning for potential buyers. even the casio tech support told me everything is covered. but you only get to know the truth when you have a problem.
jackxwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:09 PM   #2

What isn't covered is any damage to the LCD. It doesn't have to be cracked or physically damaged if they think something pressed against the LCD.

If it just went completely blank and there is no damage showing you will have to plead your case to the service center. The LCD should be under warranty if there are no signs of physical damage.

I had my Pentax S4 in my pocket and something pressed against the LCD. Pentax wouldn't fix it under warranty even though there was no physical damage showing with it switched off. With it on there was a large black area surrounded by color, which was a tipoff I had damaged it. I don't think any camera company stands behind physical damage to LCDs, and most translate any LCD failure to damage unless convinced otherwise.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:06 PM   #3

i knew they were going to say it was all my fault and try to deny service. so i have taken several pictures of this ex-s500 before sending it out, as a prove that no physical damage was done to the LCD screen, not even a scratch.

there were twodark areas on the LCD even when switched off. does that mean that i damaged it? i placed it in my pocket for sure. but it is a pocket camera.

i don't think touching the LCD is a problem. (of course if you hit it with a rock it is different). i have just pressed the LCD screen of my laptop very hard and it still works. they should have warned people not to touch the LCD if it is that fragile. of course, if they told people that, who would buy it in the first place?

my problem is, there are no other casio people to talk to except this california service center, which is a third party company who does camera repairs. casio's customer service keep on referring me to this third party company.
jackxwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:20 PM   #4

What usually causes the damage is having the LCD facing out and bumping into something or having something in your pocket that is against the LCD when you press against something.

Anymore I carry the camera only in a pocket without anything else in the pocket and make sure the LCD is against my leg.

Yours sounds a lot like what I did to my Pentax. I had a single dark spot like you describe with no scratches. I had remembered pushing against something when removing the plug from my boat. But it would be easy enough to do without remembering.

If they determine it is physical damage they won't fix it under warranty. I felt the same way you did – it is a pocket camera and it was in my pocket. But I don't think any company covers LCDs they consider damaged by something pressing against it.

Old Mar 7, 2006, 6:59 AM   #5

hey mate

i do warraty claims for every other brand (excludinfg casio unfortunately) and i have never heard of an lcd screen not being covered.

the only instance that i can think of where a screen would nto be covered is if the damage is casued by misuse, abuse, impact damage, water damage, consumable and lack of maintanence.

Usually a warranty will cover any manufacturing faults where an item has failed in the instance where the product can not perform its proposed task due to the fault as long as it is not in breach of warranty conditions above.

In the companies defense they reserve the right to have ur cam inspected for any signs of breach of warranty guide lines but they are also ablidged to present you with a servicing report (mostly charged for though, usually 1hr labour charge) to define the fault, most likely cause and reason why it is not covered.

hope this helps

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:39 AM   #6

I think an independent might be a little more willing to translate things in the favor of the customer. With my Pentax LCD I tried the local technician listed in my Pentax documentation, but he wasn't able to do the repair – I don't remember the reason. But an independent wants to do the repair, and as long as he can send the old LCD back with no apparent physical damage it would probably fly.

But once the service center saw the LCD turned on it was apparent something had pressed against it.