Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:08 PM   #1

I am shopping for a new camera, and I have narrowed it down to these three cameras. However, I can not get past this. I love how the S600 is so small and has the MPEG4 video. The Z600 is not to much larger, but the website doesn't say how the video recording is. Also, I believe that the continuous flash would be an awesome feature to have if it works at high resolution. I haven't read too much about the Z850 (just found out about it yesterday, and the Z600 2 days before). I can't decide if it is worth the extra $100 or so for the 850 vs the 600's. Also, I don't know if it would be worth it to wait for the Z600/850 to come out (as the casio website says the release date is in April). If anyone has any suggestions, please leave them!
cantbeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:41 AM   #2

z850 is about to come out. Would waitto see some further reviews before buying that, unless you want to go in at the deep end and be the first to buy, the z600 doesnt record in mpeg4 format,. The s600 is a great little camera, but some keen eyed people dont like the picture quality, looks okay to me. The z850 is touted as being the replacement to the z750 (which is a very good camera), looks the same and has have a few upgrades, there is also a big debate/signs of a difference in recording times on the z850between european models and rest of the world. As the s600 and z750 can record unlimited movies dependant on the size of the card, where as the information on alot of european casio sites are stating 10 mins max on hq on the z850, and unlimited on none european sites. But we will have to wait and see the outcome. If you dont need manual controls and want mpeg4 go for s600, if you wantmanual controls wait for z850 and see the reviews. If you want manual controls mpeg4 and dont want to spend the extra, get the z750. Can not comment on the z600, will have to look around for reviews on that one, though similar to s600, i thnk most people will opt for the s600 over that one for mpeg4 recording.
SHEPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:26 PM   #3

All sheppy said is true.

Z750 - had / has some lens problem
pictures over-exposed and over-saturated

S500 - soft / washed / unfocused images (same goes for S600 as afaik)
Z850 - 10 min video limit is a strong rumour (wonder if firmware would solve that :?)
white led light
Some1 on this forum is going to get 1 by Monday.

Plz check the quality of pics either on Steve's reviews or at dcresource's reviews.

khieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4

khieo's Z750 information is a bit dated. The default saturation, contrast and sharpening being set too high was never really a problem because it has settings for 5 levels of each. Casio did bring the default settings back to normal with the first firmware release. I don't know of the camera having a particular problem with overexposure. I have one of the early models and exposures are fine.

Early models could develop a lens error if you restricted the extension. They beefed up the gearing and most models released with 1.01 firmware didn't have the problem and none of the cameras released with 1.02 have it. The Z850 will have the same lens and it will surely have the beefed up gearing.

I'm not a fan of the transparent ceramic lens technology in Casio lenses. None of them test out to be particularly sharp. The S100 and S500 had the same Casio lens and it is probably the same one on the S600. The camera has been out a while and there have been no tests released from reliable reviewers. If you don't plan on making large prints I doubt you would find the lens objectionable though. The lens on the Z750/850 isn't made by Casio and is excellent.

The Z500 wasn't released in the US to my knowledge and maybe the Z600 won't be either. Some European sites weren't crazy about the image quality of the Z500 and I have no idea how the Z600 will do. I don't tend to take long movies with a digital camera so the movies taking 4 times the space wouldn't be of that much concern to me. What I would really miss is the past movie mode, which they can't buffer on cameras without MPEG4 so the Z600 won't have it. In past movie mode you just aim the camera and wait for something worth filming to happen. When it does you start recording and it includes the previous 5 seconds from the buffer. So you don't have to grind away waiting for the toddler to do the cute thing again or for the girl to finally pop out of the cake. It saves a lot of space and editing.

A 10 minute limit wouldn't affect me at all. I've never taken a 10 minute movie with a digital camera and probably never will. The past movie mode probably has a lot to do with that. We'll have to wait for the release to find out whether the European version of the Z850 really has a 10 minute limit. The US site says it is unlimited like the Z750.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:57 AM   #5

Tks for the update slipe :-)

Then the Z750 / Z850 looks even more interesting ....uhm reallly tempting

Wonder though if the past time video would really be that useful since u still need to be aiming at where u think action will be happening, but dont think there's any workaround for that :lol:. Really must consider if the Z850 is worth the extra €100 ... and the wait....oh well decisions, decisions...I'll just wait for the reviews...that shouldn't be long...
khieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:24 PM   #6

When shopping for a Z750, how can one tell which firmware version is installed?
cnealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:30 AM   #7

The grey ones should all be the latest and the silver ones though I have heard there a few 1.00 floating around, I would ask the retailer you are getting if from. They should all be 1.01 or above, my z750 I got from ebuyer uk was 1.01, flashed it to 1.02 off the casio website, really easy.
SHEPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:01 PM   #8

OK, thanks for all the help. Here's another question. Should I get one of the ultra fast/extreme fast memory cards, or would just a regular san disk SD card be sufficient? I think that since the S600(I am leaning towards this one b/c it is readily available and pretty cheap at buy.com) has good video recording, I may need to have a faster card. And, is buying the extreme card just going overboard? I looked at some of the reviews for the ultra 2gb sandisk SD card, and quite a few people have had problems with it, whereas the 1gb ultra seems to be just fine. However, the extreme 1gb had only great reviews. Also, someone said they are supposed to be getting the z850 shortly, and is this early release just for websites getting the cameras from other countries, or will some stores in the US be carrying them as well?
cantbeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 8:41 PM   #9

I tried a Sandisk 256 Mb standard card in my Z750. the movies were fine but the cycle times increased for still photos compared to my 1Gb Ultra II. MPEG4 video doesn't take a fast write time.

Some people think the 1Gb Sandisk standard cards are faster than the older small ones and the files aren't as large from the S600 – probably about 500k smaller than the Z750 files. The combination would probably give you sufficient performance from a 1 Gig standard card in a S600.

An Ultra II is probably overkill and an Extreme is off the wall overkill. The standard card slowed the cycle times by a full second per shot on my Z750, and that is a lot. Sandisk doesn't rate the speed on their standard card so you don't know what you are getting. Anything 30X or with awrite speed of 3Mb/sec will certainly be enough.

If I were getting a Z750 I would insist on a gray or anthracite or whatever they are calling the gray one in a particular market. You don't want to take a chance on getting the old lens gearing, and I think the gray one looks nicer anyway.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:04 AM   #10

SHEPPY wrote:
Quote:
there is also a big debate/signs of a difference in recording times on the z850between european models and rest of the world. As the s600 and z750 can record unlimited movies dependant on the size of the card, where as the information on alot of european casio sites are stating 10 mins max on hq on the z850, and unlimited on none european sites.

The Casio website lists movie time as unlimited

http://www.casio.com/news/content/13...-C7C526C3D33B/
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote