Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:04 PM   #1

I recently purchased (December 2005) the Exilim Z120 and found it to be a superb product - that was until I really started to use is in practice.

The 1st issue that I noticed is that the File Numbering system does not work properly, you have 2 options here, file numebr "Continue" or "Reset"

I have the camera set as "Continue" but note that whenever
  • I remove the memory card [/*]
  • transfer images to the PC, using a memory card reader [/*]
  • Replace the memory card back in the camera - [/*]
  • then delete all images
[/*]
The camera appears to decide what number is decides to start with, typically from a previously used number - hence providing duplicate file numbers.

For anyone that has encountered this problem, it is a real pain in the bum as you have to rename eachfile whenever you do a transfer to your PC.

What amazed me the most??? Casio UK Helpdesk and their ineptitude and
  • Understanding the problem[/*]
  • Realising that it was serious[/*]
  • Understanding the potential for novice users to overwrite existing images with no possibility of recovery[/*]
  • The lack of interest by their Product Merketing Team[/*]
  • The lack of interest from their Customer Service Management Team[/*]
  • The complete ignorance of UK Sales Directors who I have written to and not received a response
[/*]
If it was not for the fact that this camera was a Xmas present for my wife, I would have returned it imediately, not just because of the Fault but because of the incredibly average Customer Service!!!!! :P

I would welcome anyone elses views on this - especially the File Numbering problem and if they know of a "Fix" for it.

Chris

chrisbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2006, 9:05 PM   #2

You're doing it wrong. When you insert in card reader, instead of copy you should use CUT, then paste to destination folder. No more need to delete them in-camera because CUT automatically deletes them. You even save a step
Voyeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:42 PM   #3

Very strange, if You keep it on "Continue" no problem should be present: I use it that way with my Z750 and numbering is OK even if I swap SD cards, delete images in card-reader etc. Go figure out what is Your camera or Yourself doing wrong... :-)

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:06 AM   #4

Voyeur

I'vetried it both ways before, the camera always rverts back to a previously used number no matter which way I do it.

I have just checked my transferredphoto's and I have 5 images with the file number of CIMG0484.JPG (Obviously in different folders)

Sadly I cannot do any further tests as the camera lens is now stuck half open and will not retract.

Please understand that I am a relatively advanced user, I have been using digital camera's for 8 years ranging from Canon Powershot Pro, Epson, Nikon Coolpix4500 - and with all of these camera's I have never experienced this before

Chris
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:10 AM   #5

Reps

You are absolutely correct, it should not make any differene how the file in transferred or where it is deleted from, even if you have muliple SD cards etc.

Sadly I am unable to confirm if this happens on other SD cards as all my previous camera's used Compact Flash and the only SD card I have is the 1gb version I purchased for this camera

At the end of the day, I believe this is an issue within the camera- firmware or software, as if it was something I was doing OR an incorrect setting - the camera fikle numbering system would always default to the same number or 000

Thanks for your comments though

Chris
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:48 AM   #6

What I do with my Casio EX-Z40 is copy the pictures onto my PC and delete them off of the card. I rename the files into virtual rolls of 100 picts and then when I have finished editting and deleting, and combining with stitching, I copy the last resulting picture back to the SD card, e.g. f1530072 and then the Camera names the next picture CIMG0073.
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:40 PM   #7

kcowan

Wow! That does appear to be a lot of work for something that the Casio File Management system should be doing automatically.

I have been surprised that this item has been viewed so many times but no-one has an answer - i.e "Yep the file system has an error and should be updated by Casio"

Look at it like this.

The file system should remember "Oh I have used that number before - So now I will use a new one" No matter how, where, or which method you have used to transfer or delete your previously taken images. It's rather like having to learn to drive a new car differently becuaseJaguar could not be bothered to make the pedals work the same way that everyone else's does!!!

I will monitor this and see what answers I get, incidently I email Casio again so I will let everyone know what the outcome is of that

Chris
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:31 PM   #8

Try erasing the images with a format rather than erase. Assuming your menu is the same as the Z750 it is a fast operation. In the Set Up tab just move up two and you are in format. Make sure the card is in the camera when you do it or you will format your permanent memory.

Most cameras work a little faster if you format occasionally. I just do it all the time as it is faster than erasing in the camera. I've never had two images with the same number.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:21 PM   #9

here's quick n dirty solution. before you take out the card take a dummy photo first. then the next time you download pictures just overwrite the dummy photo.

anyway have you tried formatting the builtin memory.

camera reset?

format the card in-camera?

any weird programs in your pc that writes weird data to the card?

virii in your pc? some virii write to cards.
Voyeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:20 AM   #10

This might be of interest. Theres a free image rename program thats real simple. you just select a folder of images and with one click you can rename them all at once. Numerically...for example type in the number you want them to start at. if you have 5 images and you use the number 1 it will name them 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc etc. Or you can start at a higher number. Say you have 5 pics in the folder already named 1 thru 5. You can name the new ones starting at 6. You can also choose a name. Example....if they're pics of your car you could choose a number like i described, say starting at 1. then add a name like "car". It'll then name them car1.jpg, car2.jpg, etc. All done with a single click after selecting the prefix number and name. i think you can use alphabet letters instead of numbers too, tho i just got it so i dunno. But i think you can do a lot more than i described. I only tried it once but it's really simple and great. Might just make the the camera problem no longer a problem.It's here...

http://www.photo-freeware.net/photoutil.php

By the way, the site has hundereds of cool little progs like that too. great site !
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote