Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:13 AM   #1

Hi all,
I'd like to sell my sony p200 and buy a z750. Just a question to the owners: does it allow to use zoom while taking videos? This is very important to me and the sony doesn't...
Cheers,
Alessandro

P.S. Any other important thing that a buyer should know about this camera?
aletog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:29 AM   #2

You can't use the optical zoom while recording movies.

The movies are quite good. I especially like the past movie mode where you just aim the camera and wait for something worth filming to happen. When it does you start recording and it includes the previous 5 seconds. It saves a lot of grinding away, and combined with MPEG4 lets you record a lot of movies with a given sized card.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:37 PM   #3

THE ANSWER IS YES, it will zoom during a movie, just not optical zoom. But it digitally zooms which is fine too. So yes.
grubrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 4:27 AM   #4

Hmmm... what's the truth? One answers "NO, you can't use zoom while recording videos" and another one answers "YES, you can"... I'm confused...
aletog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 10:31 AM   #5

The truth is that there are two kinds of zoom. Optical zoom (physical zoom inside the lens), which can't be used in movie mode and Digital zoom (computed "zoom"), which can be used in movie mode.

However, in my humble opinion, the digital zoom is just a marketing gimmick, which is not suitable for general use. Disabling digital zoom is the first thing I always do when I get new camera

odklizec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 12:38 PM   #6

If you want to zoom while recording movies get a camera that lets you use the optical zoom while recording. Results with digital zoom are poor.

You might look at the Kodak V550 if you don't use manual settings.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 7:30 PM   #7

While I really love the quality of movies I get from my EX-Z750, I am a bit disappointed in the digital zoom. Yes it allows you to zoom in while "filming" but it's horribly pixelated. I'd recommend not doing it. What I typically do is use the optical zoom first, if I think I'll need it, to get a tighter shot before I start recording a movie.

I'm very impressed with the quality of the movies this camera makes, they are nearly indistinguishable from those made by my Sony Digital 8 camcorder.
JethroXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 7:45 PM   #8

I'll agree that digital zoom is just marketing fluff for still images, but we're not capturing to the resolution of the CCD in video. I mean, lets face it, you've got a 2300 lines, and you're recording only 480. That gives me almost (um, 2, 48, carry the 7) a 5x zoom without any loss in quality, assuming the CCD is sensitive enough to capture enough light at 1/30 sec, which it better be.

So, really - how does the optical zoom do during video mode?
Overzeetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:40 AM   #9

While shooting vid, digital zoom can be used but NOT optical zoom as has already been said. Few cameras offer optical zoom while shooting in video mode. You CAN however use the optical zoom in video mode, just not WHILE shooting. Only before you begin recording.
As for zooming while recording with digital zoom, as others have said the quality is lousy. However, i find you can zoom a bit before it starts to get real bad. Maybe 1/3 of the way to full digi zoom before it begins getting horrible. And even then it's acceptable at bestand i'd avoid it unless you really need to.
dazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:36 AM   #10

Hi, i plan to buy this camera, but i also can see that z120 does the same. i don't care how big the screen of z750 is.

now, my question is, will i really get a better quality video on z120 since the video it records is raw avi and not compressed mpeg4 like the z750?

can someone show me a video captured from z120 and z750 so that i could see which isbetter?

is it true that you won't see any pixelated(artifacts) images in z120 since it is not compressed?

some say that z750 is better since it records at 30fps rather than 28fps which z120 uses. but what i say is can you really notice the differences? i mean, it's only 2frames, can you really see the differences?

i wonder why casio made the z110 with 30fps and z120 with only 28fps when z120 is far superior than z110(it's only 6megapix).

can someone please help me on this. i would appreciate it if you guys wil answer ALL of the questions i asked on this. thanks!

Nikkobengco is offline   Reply With Quote