Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 12, 2006, 11:07 AM   #1

Tried a Patriot Memory Extreme Performance PLUS (133X speed) 4GB SD card on the EX-Z50 and found out it doesnt work. Called Casio this morning, they told me they only recommend 1GB and that the camera can't read at the speeds needed for 4GB.

Anyone else have a Z750 and got a 4GB SD card working? Maybe trying a lower speed SD card such as a 60X instead of 133X may work?'

Also card works on my PC's card reader.
rizo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2006, 1:43 PM   #2

150x 2GB works fine with Z750 so no speed issue here at all :-)... How did You format the SD card- some people advise to format in reader as FAT32- worth a try...

Just tried out FAT32 on 2GB card- Z750 works but slows down: switching on goes to 4+ sec... and seems that shot to shot is a little slower. So crap :??

Best, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 5:01 PM   #3

Reps wrote:
Quote:
150x 2GB works fine with Z750 so no speed issue here at all :-)... How did You format the SD card- some people advise to format in reader as FAT32- worth a try...

Just tried out FAT32 on 2GB card- Z750 works but slows down: switching on goes to 4+ sec... and seems that shot to shot is a little slower. So crap :??

Best, JR
I formatted the card as FAT32 or which ever FAT version Windows XP MCE 2005 allows. I emailed Patriot Memory and recieved the following email:

It could be because the card reader is not able to use that big of a card. That is why it not able to see the sd card.

Doesn't help but reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_Card and http://www.sdcard.org/sd_memorycard/index.html is it possible the 4GB card I got is not really an SD but SDIO? It's the only possible answer I can think of at the moment.

I really like the camera so I may just use a 2GB card and additional 2GB for the second battery after I test the video recording abilities at night events.

Also Reps, may I ask what brand/model SD card you have?
Old May 12, 2006, 10:54 PM   #4

Bought a Corsair 2GB 60X SD card today after I got off work and it's working! :|

Now I only wonder if the Corsair 2GB 133X SD card will work?
Old May 14, 2006, 4:56 AM   #5

My card is TraxData Flash Series Pro 2GB 150x and rates as 17MB/s average with Sandra Pro- great to use both in Z750 and my portable SD-reader as a flash drive.

Best, JR

BTW I made a quick comparison on some cards a while ago: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17751557

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 10:34 AM   #6

Same problem with my Z750 using the Patriot 4GB SD card. When I first inserted the card I got "out of memory" meaning the camera didn't even see the card. I then used an SD slot on my computer to format it as FAT32 (the only choice). Putting the card back in the camera resulting in a "card error". I wonder if the problem is that the camera knows FAT format but not FAT32?

--Peter

outlawrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 3:02 AM   #7

I suppose it's possible that the z750 only reads/writes FAT16 which has a 2GB limit (4 GB w/ work arounds?).

Just to update on compatible cards, I bought an additional Transcend 150X 2GB SD (TG2GSD150) and it works.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:14 AM   #8

I remember reading somewhere that the maximum size SD card theEX-Z750 supports is 2GB. I think I read this on the Casio support sight, but I can't find the link anymore. If that's true, it would lend credibility to the idea that the camera uses FAT16, and would also explain why 4GB cards aren't working as well as why FAT32 format seems to have adverse effects.
JethroXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:09 AM   #9

I WONDER IF THE DOS FORMAT STATEMENT "FORMAT I:/FAT" WOULD WORK...ANYONE TRY IT YET....I NOT GOOD WITH DOS...:?
jerrbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:09 AM   #10

I WONDER IF THE DOS FORMAT STATEMENT "FORMAT I:/FAT" WOULD WORK...ANYONE TRY IT YET....I NOT GOOD WITH DOS...:?WILL THIS COMMAND FORMAT A 4GB DOWN TO A 2 GB??????AND DISCARD THE OTHER 2GB????
jerrbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote