Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old May 25, 2006, 7:29 PM   #1

Does anyone know the maximum SD card size for the Casio EX-P600, specifically if it can take a 2Gb SD card?

I've looked in the manual and googled pretty hard but I can't find any information relating to maximum memory size.

Thanks.
LastMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2006, 5:49 AM   #2

Hi,

I´m pretty sure the maximum size is 1GB - I had a link to a Casio website with a list of maximum sizes supported but I can´t find it anymore.

I seem to remember that 2GB cards are not supported in the P600 and P700 - I might be wrong though.

Regards - MacSass

MacSass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 6:34 PM   #3

Looks like even 1Gb might be a bit much for it:

http://world.casio.com/qv/support/en/info/sd_card.html

Guess I'll just try one and see.
Old May 29, 2006, 4:08 PM   #4

Hi,

I think that was the link I had in mind.

I just tested a 1GB card in my P700 and it works fine. I think this is the maximum though.

Regards - MacSass

Old May 30, 2006, 6:46 PM   #5

I borrowed a 2Gb card from someone at work today and the camera recognised it fine, showing capacity for over 700 pictures at maximum JPG res.

However, after formating the card in the camera, capacity dropped to 360 pictures, so I assume this has been formatted at 1Gb.

I found a hint on a Palm forum about externally formatting 2Gb cards in FAT16 allowing them to be recognised and work in devices that only support 1Gb cards.

Command line:

FORMAT F: /V /FS:FAT /X

I tried this at work, but don't have administrative rights on my work PC and don't have access to the format command, either in Windows Explorer or at the command prompt.

I will try manually formatting the 2Gb card in a card reader when I get home.
Old May 31, 2006, 2:21 AM   #6

Hi,

thanks for the update - sounds interesting. Let me know the outcome, maybe we can use 2GB cards in our P Series then ...

Regards - MacSass

Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:12 PM   #7

After having formatted the 2gb card in the camera and only getting around 1gb of space, it put it into a card reader.

The card reader didn't even recognise the file system, even through the camera had been taking pictures okay and these transferred fine to the PC via USB.

I formatted the 2gb card again in Windows. Nothing fancy, just using right-click in explorer and choosing the FAT file system.

I dropped the card back into the EX-P600 and saw now that it could take 782 pictures at maximum resolution.

I'm in the process of trying to take as many pictures as I can to see if I can fill up the 2gb card, or whether there will be any limit. Using burst mode to take 6 pics at a time, but this is still going to take a while, and a few battery recharges.

I hope to fill the card and see if all the images transfer correctly to the PC. If this works, then I guess you can use 2Gb cards in the P600, as long as you don't format the card in the camera.

It might be necessary to use a card reader to get the photos off, because when I had the camera plugged in via USB windows only recognised the removable drive as having 1Gb of space.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:16 AM   #8

Not much success with the 2Gb card I'm afraid.

While the camera shows room for over 700 pictures, at about 360 to go it gave me Card Error and wouldn't let me take any more pictures.

Connecting the camera to the PC with the SD card inside just showed an empty raw file system, but inserting the 2gb card into a card reader showed FAT file system with exactly half of the card's capacity used.

However, when actually viewing the contents of the card, there only appeared to be 480-odd Mb of images.

I concluded that a 2gb card was just too much for the camera, so I created a 1gb partition on the SD card using a Linux Live CD with GParted. The camera operated fine using the 1gb partition and images transferred without issues. However, the camera's formatting utility seems to more than just formatting, it deleted the partition and left me again with a 2gb (1.86 in windows) raw file system.

So after all my investigating I have decided that although you can "use" a 2gb card in an EX-P600 there are certain limitations and it is in now way girlfriend proof. I'm off to buy a nice SanDisk Ultra II 1Gb card.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:28 AM   #9

Hi,

thanks for the feedback and tests - I agree with your findings and went for a 1GB card as well. More than enough space for me ...

Regards - MacSass