Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:05 AM   #11

EDIT: After posting these comments last night, I decided to go back and re-compare the video from my Sony Digital-8 camcorder and the Casio EX-Z750. In many cases it is very hard to tell any difference, and in some cases, particularly in low light, I think the Casio video looks better than the Sony video, far less grainy and dark. Also, I think I've nailed the difference I was describing below, and it isn't so much visual quality as it is visual presentation. The video from my Sony Camcorder looks like video, while the video from the Casio EX-Z750 has more of a "film" look to it. For those of you who have noticed the difference, you'll know what I mean. Anyway, this little exercise served to reinforce my opinion of the video quality of the Casio EZ-Z750, and I doubt I'll have much use for my Sony Digital-8 Camcorderany time soon.

Video was only a secondary concern for me when I purchased the EX-Z750 as I was pretty happy with my Sony Digital-8 camcorder (different tape but the exact same quality as MinDV). Since purchasing the EX-Z750 over 8 months ago I haven't touched my Sony camcorder. I've been that impressed with the video from this wonderful little camera.

I've done some side-by-side comparisons of the video from my camcorder and the EX-Z750, and when doing so Ican see a slight quality advantage for the camcorder, however it isn't enough of a difference for me to want to lug it around with the EX-Z750. The fact that I can slip this tiny camera in my shirt pocket, and be able to capture fabulous photos, and great video, is simply amazing.

The video I capture usually ends up as small snippets for my website, or on DVDs for distirbution to family and friends. In both cases, the video this camera captures is top quality. Yes, a videophile will tell you that a camcorder is better, and they are technically correct, but for everyday use this camera definitely gets the job done.And in my opinion, the simplicity of use and miniscule form factor more than make up for the very minor loss in quality when compared to a dedicated camcorder.

JethroXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:05 AM   #12

Hi JethroXP--thanks for the response.I really appreciate hearing about your experiences regarding the video from the 750.* Makes alot of sense.* I feel the same way--it's not necessarily going to replace a camcorder, but it is much more convenient to have great photo ability and good video in one package!Thanks again.
canes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:25 PM   #13

Thanks for the additional info JethroXP--much appreciated.**You were writing about burning DVDs for family.* I am working with a 12" Apple Powerbook G4 and am wondering how difficult it is to burn DVDs.* I have the iMovie software.* How long does it typically take to burn a DVD?**
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:16 AM   #14

canes1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the additional info JethroXP--much appreciated.??You were writing about burning DVDs for family.? I am working with a 12" Apple Powerbook G4 and am wondering how difficult it is to burn DVDs.? I have the iMovie software.? How long does it typically take to burn a DVD???

I found a plugin that is needed for Macs: http://world.casio.com/qv/download/en/avi/

Download it and install it and then try to play the sample video clips in the above post.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:13 PM   #15

Thanks KnightCrawler, works great.*Question for Mac users or anyone who knows........*Do I have to use the Casio software or can I just plug in the camera and use iPhoto?* Is one better than the other?* Same with videos--will iMovie read the videos?* Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:48 PM   #16

canes1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks KnightCrawler, works great.?Question for Mac users or anyone who knows........?Do I have to use the Casio software or can I just plug in the camera and use iPhoto?? Is one better than the other?? Same with videos--will iMovie read the videos?? Thanks!

Try the sample movie in iMovie and see how it works.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:54 PM   #17

Thanks again KnightCrawler-----not to sound like an idiot but how do you do that?* When I click on the link it just takes me to the video site.* How do I get that (or any videos online) into iMovie?* Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2006, 3:01 AM   #18

canes1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again KnightCrawler-----not to sound like an idiot but how do you do that?? When I click on the link it just takes me to the video site.? How do I get that (or any videos online) into iMovie?? Thanks!

In windows it's "save target as" when you right click on the link. I'm not familiar with Macs but I'm sure they have something very similiar to that. So you need to right click if Macs evenhave a right click button.:?

http://www.casio.com/resource/images...y/CIMG4419.avi
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:38 AM   #19

Thank you for the link-----I just need to find out how to import that into iMovie....
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:02 AM   #20

As far as connecting up a Z750 to a DV camcorder and recording video to DV tape I have done it and it works very well. You may need a few inexpensive connectors from Radio Shack to join the included Z750 audio video cable to the input cable to your camcorder. Here are a few links.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum42.html

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/iMovieTheater43.html

The resulting DV video is stable with very good quality compared to the origional Casio footage, which to me is practically as good as a typical single chip consumer cam.

There are other ways of converting your Casio footage into DV using software but I find this works well speedily without complications. Editing such footage of being on a rollercoaster with the casio into footage of a partner's DV cam as he shoots from the ground, say, can give a much more movie like perspective.
buddy1065 is offline   Reply With Quote